Do You Believe?

Posted in Holidays by

When we become parents, we are bombarded with decisions to make. From the big time, (religion), to the much smaller, (what’s for breakfast?).

All we can do is decide on things based on personal experience and how it makes us feel.

Doing research and finding outside opinions doesn’t hurt. However, in this day in age, you can find thousands of great arguments for both sides on anything. You could spend hours researching a subject and feel as if you’re running in circles. So, as I mentioned earlier, in the end, you have to do what feels right to you.

When my husband and I were expecting our first born, I couldn’t wait to introduce her to the excitement of Christmas. She’s three now, and she FINALLY understands what’s going on. She’s ready to FEEL the magic.IMG_3696.JPGSo why is it, I feel a little twinge of guilt when I tell her about Santa? I’m concerned that when she finds out the “truth” she’ll peg me a liar.

That said, here are the reasons we are sharing Santa with our kids:

1. I Loved Santa when I was little.

The feelings of Christmas, the magic, and the fun, are directly linked to Santa.

I remember asking how he got in through our tiny little chimney. My big brother made something up and I went happily on my way.

When I found out the truth, I was almost six. My friend told me on the bus like it was nothing. I pretended I knew already, because I think on some level I did. My first thought was, ‘yeah, I guess its about time I know.’

I never considered my parents liars, I appreciated their efforts to keep magic alive at such a fun time of year.

2. He was a real person.

Back in the day, there was a man that actually visited children and gave them gifts. Sure, the red suit and white beard is courtesy of Coca Cola, but all traditions start somewhere.

When the littles find out we are actually Santa, we can tell them stories about good old St. Nick and discuss what he was all about.

3. Tradition.

Christmas is surrounded by tradition. We want our kids to experience it all.

We want Rudolph and his other flying friends to be something they look for when no one is watching.

We want them to listen as hard as they can for sleigh bells and a hearty “Ho! Ho! Ho!”

We aren’t the most religious parents, but we also want our kids to know why we celebrate Christmas. The birth of Jesus deserves to be talked about, especially this time of year.

4. Gentle encouragement to get the kids to behave.

I’m never going to threaten with Santa. But, perhaps a reminder “are you being good this year?” won’t hurt.

5. Deep down, we all want to Believe.

Wouldn’t that be so cool? A warm, fuzzy grandpa type flies around the entire world delivering gifts to every well behaved girl and boy. So many Christmas movies show how much every adult still wants to believe.

6. Magic.

My entire theme for this post.

Christmas is magical. And I truly believe that Santa is a huge reason why. It takes faith and believing in the illogical. The little thought “just maybe,” makes a little one too excited to sleep.

Sure, getting gifts is fun and exciting. But getting them as a reward for being “good” all year from a guy that had those gifts made especially for you? That’s magic.

Sharing Santa with our children might be risky. I just hope when they do find out, they are able to recognize our true intentions.IMG_3697.JPGWhat is your family’s stance on Santa? Do you believe, or did you tell your kids the truth?

December 11, 2014

• Reply cdaggett08

Good post!! my daughter is 7 months old so she doesn’t understand yet, but we will be telling her about Santa. But, like you I want to make sure she knows the real reason we celebrate. I want her to believe in the magic of Christmas, while still giving to others, and remembering the Jesus is the whole reason for Christmas. Thank you for sharing.

December 11, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Thank you so much! Its been so fun this year so far-i can see her appreciating the magic.

December 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm
  • Reply TheMommyAvenger

Christmas is magical and I see nothing wrong with believing in Santa. As your kids mature, they will understand the true meaning behind it and be ok. Mine certainly have. We focus on the real reason of the season mostly, with the fun of Santa thrown in. It’s really all symbolic, anyway. Merry Christmas to you!

December 12, 2014 at 9:02 am

You’re absolutely right! Symbolism everywhere! Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too!

December 12, 2014 at 9:17 am
  • Reply melissajane01

I haven’t made a big deal about Santa. I took my daughter to see him once or twice when she was little. The last time we were at the mall, my son wanted to walk into Santa’s house and then walked right back out when he saw Santa. I think it’s great when kids get excited about Christmas/Santa/Jesus. I love all the fun traditions and, of course, celebrating Jesus’ birth.

December 12, 2014 at 10:34 am

It is so much fun! I always loved everything Christmas as a kid. It has been fun as an adult, but just not the same. Now that I have my own kids I feel as if Christmas will be fun/magical/exciting again. Each year we buy a new book about a different Christmas tradition/symbol. I’m looking forward to looking for one this year!

December 12, 2014 at 10:50 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith.com

I think the key is that you give it some thought. We need to know what we’re teaching our kids and why. I grew up “believing” in Santa too. We don’t really do much with him now with our own daughter. Just like the Nutcracker or a snowman, he is a symbol of Christmas. We do read his story as well. It’s beautiful!

December 12, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’m looking forward to sharing all the traditions and symbols of Christmas the more they understand. Every year we get a new Christmas book about a different tradition. Its all so much fun!

December 12, 2014 at 10:47 am
  • Reply shelahmoss

I’m Jewish and I remember believing in Santa when I was quite young. My husband is Lutheran so my daughter has always celebrated Christmas with my in-laws and Santa is a big part of the celebration. Believing in magic is so important!

December 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm

It is important! It has been so much fun reliving that magic through my daughter. Everything is so amazing to her!

December 12, 2014 at 2:41 pm
  • Reply thedeb83

I still believe in Santa! Growing up, like you said, he was this man who came and brought me gifts. But, as an adult, I realize Santa is just the magic of the holiday season – the giving to those in need, Christmas miracles and the spirit of the season.

December 12, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Yes!! Exactly!! I want my kiddos to know all about him/it!

December 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm
  • Reply Naomi

We did the Santa thing mostly because we didn’t want her to ruin it for someone else while she’s little. I’m not much for holidays, but it is nice to see my girl enjoy them!

December 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm

It is fun to see the Holidays through the kids eyes.

December 13, 2014 at 4:37 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Love this.,Christmas is my favorite time of year and it’s largely due to the effort my parents and family have always put into making it so special. It is a magical time of year and a beautiful reminder of life. Even though the you n gets of the kids is 24 and married, we still do Santa…letter writing, milk cookies, carrots for the red deer and all. I LOVE it and am so excited to continue the tradition with my boys, especially now that they’re getting old enough to be excited by it.

December 15, 2014 at 9:58 am

Thankd Rachael! I agree! And I think we’re going to add carrots for the reindeer this year as well.

December 15, 2014 at 10:32 am
  • Reply Sasha

My daughter is three this Christmas too. I have never loved the holiday more in all my life. To watch her face take in the beauty and magic of it all is simply priceless.

December 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I absolutely agree! This year has been so amazing!

December 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Santa and Christmas are pure magic and it’s my favorite time of the whole year! I loved our Santa traditions and even though he isn’t the reason for the season, he certainly adds magic and fun to it all. We still do Santa at our house, even though the youngest of me and my siblings is 24 and married haha. This year will be a blast because the boys are old enough to be excited! Let the magic begin! ☺

December 17, 2014 at 8:04 am

We still did Santa before I had kids too! This year has been so much fun so far!

December 17, 2014 at 9:54 am