The St. Patty’s Day Conundrum

Posted in Holidays by

Smirky little leprechaun

Wear green or you’ll get pinched! Don’t wear red or you’ll get kissed! Or something along those lines. I don’t know what the real deal is, I’m not Irish.

Do the Irish even know? I have a sneaky suspicion that the way we (Americans), celebrate St. Patrick’s Day is made up and based on nothing. I read somewhere that the Saint in question died on March 17th. So we’re celebrating his death? Was he bad? If so, why celebrate him at all? If he was good, maybe we could celebrate him on the day he entered this world. Seems more uplifting to me.

Do any of my American friends know why we celebrate this holiday?

Another thing I read was that he “drove all the snakes out of Ireland.” Not being a big fan of snakes, that sounds like something worth celebrating. But, is that true? Upon further investigation, I found that St. Patrick was allegedly the Saint that brought Christianity to Ireland. But again, I have no idea if that is true or not. If you care to enlighten me, feel free!

I suppose all Holidays are based on stories passed down for generations until they are so deluded, we only know snippets of the real story. After all, every history book was written by man, human error is eminent.

So, why all the green? Why the punishment for not wearing green? Whatever the answer, here are some adorable pics of the kiddos decked out in all of their green. We didn’t leave the house, but I still didn’t want them to run the risk of getting pinched.

The St. Patty's Day Conundrum Z posing 2
The St. Patty's Day Conundrum Z and R 2

Another question. Aside from being just about wearing green (for the kiddos so they can be involved, I suspect), it’s all about drinking. I can only imagine the jump in sales for Jameson and Guiness the week leading up to this Holiday. Just another excuse to get sh**-faced.

To each his own, but this year I’m out. It’s the middle of the week, I’m on the clock, and I ALWAYS get a hangover (anytime I drink, not just St. Patrick’s Day.)

So. Now that March 17th is out of the way, bring on Easter!!

Maybe someone can explain to me once and for all why a bunny hiding dyed eggs represents the day Christ was risen.

Whatever the case, I’m looking forward to doing some fun Easter crafts!

What about you? Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What about Easter? Are you going to get crafty with the kiddos? If you have any great crafts, please share!!

• Reply Jess

We do celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, though I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know much about the history of the holiday. (I’m Irish and I really have no idea of its origins! How terrible is that?) We wear green and cook a boiled dinner (yum!) I am terrible at crafts, so I have nothing fun to share there. πŸ™‚

March 18, 2015 at 8:48 am

My husband is part Irish and he doesn’t know either. I forgot about the boiled dinner-I’ll have to do better next year!

March 18, 2015 at 9:34 am

You made me laugh. I had to visit schools on St. Patrick’s Day so i wore some green, even though I didn’t feel like wearing green. Where did that obnoxious tradition of pinching come from?

March 18, 2015 at 9:36 am

No idea! But I always wear the green so nobody comes near me! Lol!

March 18, 2015 at 10:19 am
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop β„’ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

I may be the WORST mom. My kids don’t even know what St. Patty’s is, because they don’t celebrate it in school! I was going to make corned beef, but decided spaghetti was easier πŸ™‚
    I’m looking forward to seeing your crafts. Maybe they’ll inspire me!

March 18, 2015 at 9:46 am

LOL!! Spaghetti is definitely easier! My kids only know about it because they’re part Irish. But we’re not Catholic-I think its a Catholic holiday…I’m not sure…

March 18, 2015 at 10:22 am
  • Reply Colleen @MommieDaze

My Grandma was Irish, so we celebrate it out of tradition, but I really have no idea what it’s all about. I think it’s actually a bigger deal here in America than it is in Ireland.

March 18, 2015 at 10:21 am

I was wondering that too! Do they celebrate it in Ireland? I bet your celebrations involved some great food-sometimes that’s all a holiday is about…family and good food. Ha!

March 18, 2015 at 10:24 am

Yeah Ive never been big into st pattys day but I LOVE love love Easter! I can’t wait!

March 18, 2015 at 10:27 am

Same here! I am so excited!! There are so many Easter egg hunts around this year, I’m having a hard time choosing!

March 30, 2015 at 8:26 pm
  • Reply Melissa

I usually just buy the kids a new shirt and we eat some green stuff. Sometimes we do a craft. The origins of most holidays are pretty weird.

March 18, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Haha! Sounds about right! We didn’t do any crafts this year, maybe next year.

March 30, 2015 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply Sue Parke

I never got into it much, but my husband loves it. He came home with a card and balloons, and of course Irish beer on Tuesday haha!

March 19, 2015 at 7:47 am

Ha! Awesome! I’m not that into it either, the pics of the kiddos was the extent of it. I didn’t even wear green.

March 19, 2015 at 7:59 am
  • Reply Rachael Boley

Love love love! You know my thoughts on this godforsaken holiday haha

March 19, 2015 at 8:32 am
    • Reply Rachael Boley

It looks like only half my comment posted… The jist was that your kids are precious and I love you!

March 19, 2015 at 8:33 am

Haha!! Thank you! I love you too!!

March 19, 2015 at 8:43 am
  • Reply Melissande

St. Patrick’s real name was Sucat. He was born in England. He was actually abducted as a teenager by pirates. They took him to Ireland where he was sold to a chieftain who ordered Sucat to care for his pigs. The chieftain renamed him Patrick. While he was in Ireland he noticed that the people there were afraid of things like storms etc because they believed such things were punishments from the Gods. Sucat or Patrick had been raised in a Christian home. Anyway, several years after his capture he had the chance to escape and he was able to convince some sailors to take him back to England. However, he had made several friends in Ireland and decided that he wanted to go back. So, he studied the Bible and decided to go back. He lived there until he died and brought Christianity to Ireland. St. Patrick’s day is actually a pretty huge deal in Ireland. My cousin lives there and it’s quite the party. πŸ™‚ I kind of love this story – so excuse me for taking advantage of your question!

March 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I appreciate it!! I love that you answered it! Because I truly wanted to know. So, he did bring Christianity to Ireland? That is so cool-it makes sense that they celebrate him! Thank you so much for sharing!!

March 19, 2015 at 12:08 pm
      • Reply Melissande

Yes! He did! I find it interesting therefore that people celebrate the Holiday with so much dranking, but hey I’m not opposed to a little wine, so!

March 19, 2015 at 1:16 pm
  • Reply Kristen

I have no idea why we wear green or why we hunt for Easter eggs…but sounds like a great series of blog posts for you!

March 19, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Haha! Thanks! I hope I get some answers!

March 19, 2015 at 6:23 pm
  • Reply Naomi

The bunnies and eggs are from pagan times. People would see bunnies in the grasses and find bird eggs from some kind of bird that was hard to see in the grass. They thought the bunnies laid the eggs. There was probably some kind of Spring festival revolving around it, but I don’t remember anything about the show that I watched besides that! I’m sure coloring the eggs is something more modern to make it fun for kids to find them.

March 24, 2015 at 8:32 am

That’s fascinating! Thank you for telling me! So awesome!

March 24, 2015 at 9:59 am