Holiday Bucket List

Posted in Holidays by

For the first time ever, I am participating in a blogging prompt challenge. It’s called 12 Days of Blogmas and for 12 days, there is a prompt for every weekday. It was put together by the lovely hostesses Julie at Girl On the Move, and Joanna at Motherhood and Merlot. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to stay on top of every single prompt, but I am certainly going to do my best! Holiday Bucket List

One of the most exciting things about the Holidays for me, is the traditions. I love having different activities to look forward to that we do every year. The old and making new ones too. Before my oldest was born, our family traditions were quite a bit different than they are now. I also feel as if the older my kids get, the more things we can add to our list. But as of right now, our Holiday Bucket List is as follows:

Cookie BakingChristmas Cookies
Since before I was born, my mom and my aunt have gotten together to make a ton of Christmas cookies to give to family and friends. My sister and cousin were born and they joined in. Then I was born and I wormed my way into their tradition as well. My daughter gets to make a brief appearance for a bit of sugar cookie decorating, but she never lasts long. She’s too interested in eating, rather decorating.

Watch ‘Love Actually’
My husband and I love this movie! It was a tradition of ours to watch it every year mid-November to get us in the Christmas spirit. We skipped the last two years and I think we’re ready to add it back in. The kids won’t be joining us on this one…there are few, ahem, inappropriate scenes…

Decorate!!
Growing up, I always looked forward to decorating for Christmas! The whole family would help with the tree, but then they would lose interest. I have many fond memories of my mom and me decorating the rest of the house, inside and out. Since I’ve had my own house, it’s usually just me doing the decorating, (except for lights that require a ladder). This year has already been different!! My sweet girl was so excited to help me set up the tree. Then she told me, “Mom, I just want to decorate the tree by myself, ok?” How can I possibly deny my new little helper?Christmas TreeOn an unrelated note, I think I have finally accepted that I no longer get to use gorgeous (breakable) decorations anymore…for the next 18 years anyway.

Santa Pictures
We haven’t had much luck with Santa pictures in the past. In pretty much all of our photos, there is a crying baby. I have high hopes for this year. Either way, they’ll definitely be adorable!Funny Santa Picture

Christmas Crafts
I love crafting but I’m not really that great at it. Now that I have kids, I think it’s important for them to play with crafts. They’re a great learning opportunity for them and I have a great excuse to get crafty! Last year I started a tradition with my daughter where we make Christmas decorations as well as a few Christmas gifts.Christmas Crafts

Zoo Lights
Since my daughter was 6 months old, we have been going to Zoo Lights with my father in law. Its so fun because the kiddos are more and more amazed by it every year!

House Lights
I love driving around neighborhoods with a bunch of decorated homes. Nothing gets me more in the mood for Christmas! My parents live on a street that is known as “Candy Cane Lane,” no pressure, right? There is also a local house that makes it on the news every year that we’ll be visiting again this year. Christmas Lights

Snow!!?!!
It rarely snows here in the PNW, but when it does, it’s gorgeous!! I actually don’t think my son has seen snow yet. So, if it does snow, even just a tiny bit, you bet we’ll be right outside playing in it.

Hot Cocoa
My daughter is just recently discovering the wonder that is Hot Cocoa. This year we may even add marshmallows…

So now I feel like I need to get busy!! What’s on your Holiday Bucket List?

It looks like your family is going to have a fabulous holiday season. My cookies don’t look as good as yours. I have cookie jealousy. The picture of the kids with Santa is perfect.

November 30, 2015 at 7:27 am

We’ll definitely be busy! I’ve gotten he cookie decorating thing down to where it’s super fast and at least looks decent. Lol! Thanks-it’s one of my favorite Santa pics! Cracks me up!!

November 30, 2015 at 7:33 am
  • Reply Katie

I can’t wait to see what crafts you guys come up with!! Great list!

November 30, 2015 at 7:42 am

Lol! Thanks!! My daughter and I used mod podge for the first time ever making ornaments.

November 30, 2015 at 7:59 am
  • Reply Joanna

Such a good list! “love actually” is one of my favorites:)

November 30, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thank you!! Yes! I have a few other favorites, but Love Actually is one my husband and I agree on!

November 30, 2015 at 10:21 am

Love your list! Seeing Christmas lights is always so much fun with the kids!! (i still love it as an adult!)

November 30, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks! It is!! I do too! We saw a few the other day and it was the first time my son noticed them. It was so adorable!

November 30, 2015 at 1:20 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Corter

What a great bucket list! I especially love the Christmas crafts one. I LOVE doing crafts with my little guy around this time of year. And now, he’s old enough to bake, so we can start doing that too!

November 30, 2015 at 3:18 pm
  • Reply Gwen

This is a great Christmas Bucket List! I also love riding around in search of the houses who have gone all out for Christmas. There is something special about riding around on a cold, winter night, carols blaring, hot cocoa in hand, surrounding by your family, treasure hunting for houses all a glow. Love it! Merry Christmas!

November 30, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thanks! Yes! I absolutely agree!!

November 30, 2015 at 4:59 pm
  • Reply Tessa

I agree that this year I have a serious goal to BE ON TOP of Christmas decorating AND Santa pictures. Last year, we were so ridiculously busy we didn’t even do Santa pictures and I felt awful. I also want to enjoy my Christmas decorations all month this year instead of rushing to get them up at the last minute only to take them down! Great list 🙂

November 30, 2015 at 6:28 pm
  • Reply Amanda

Love Actually….? I’ve heard of it, but I’ve not watched it. So silly, right?
    I’m adding that to our grown up movie list right now. I would find it online right now, but it is 11:30pm, our time, and I work tomorrow.

November 30, 2015 at 8:29 pm

It’s one of our favorites!!

December 1, 2015 at 7:42 am
  • Reply Theresa @DearCreatives

I love holiday baking and cookie making. Fun bucket list. I think every family has a photo with someone not so thrilled with Santa. Good luck with Santa this year & happy holidays.

November 30, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Thank you! So true!! We have 4 out of 5 years of cranky Santa pictures!! Happy Holidays!!

December 1, 2015 at 7:44 am
  • Reply Jules ruud

I didn’t even get past Love Actuallg before knowing I needed to comment. I LOVE that movie. We are destined to be friends, T, we really are.

December 1, 2015 at 9:13 am
    • Reply Jules ruud

Wow. I didn’t even spell the movie right that’s how excited I was.

December 1, 2015 at 9:14 am

LOL!!

December 1, 2015 at 9:56 am

LOL!! We seriously are! Plus I think our husbands would get along too!

December 1, 2015 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Sue Parke

I want some of your cookies and I’d LOVE to see a picture of how your house lights come out! 🙂

December 1, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Omg that houses lights! Too cool! My house for some odd reason doesn’t have outlets outside or in the garage?!?! It’s craziness…. So we have to be pretty simple with any lights outside since we have to use an extension cord threw the sunroom window lol. Sucks so bad because finally owning a home and not living in a condo, we were kinda excited to go light crazy!

December 2, 2015 at 6:26 am

Oh no! That is so weird! There are Christmas light surge protectors you can use. You would just need one extension chord from inside and then you could plug in like a million lights to the surge protector thing. And it also has a thing so you can set up a timer.

December 2, 2015 at 6:29 am