Play Dates-For Baby or for Mama?

It’s good to get your kids around other kids. Learn to socialize and teach them how to share.

Playdates For baby or for mama

I love play dates at my house because the boring old toys my kids are used to, are now being played with by another kid. This astonishingly renews the value of said toys.

A play date for us at someone else’s house is awesome too because of the new toys. The kiddos usually acknowledge each other eagerly at first, but then wander off on their own to discover these amazing new contraptions.

But, when it comes down to it, the play date is actually for mama.

If it’s at our house, I clean before company arrives. And even though the kids end up making a mess, the house is still cleaner than it would have been if they weren’t coming.

It’s something to look forward to, something to “break up the day,” if you will.

If you’re a SAHM, the days can drag. And if you have a child coming over to hang out with your little one so you don’t have to for an hour, it’s difficult to contain your excitement.

Lastly, and most importantly, play dates are for mama so she can have some adult conversation.

Thinking about the possibility of this last part makes me feel giddy. Being around two children under three makes you feel crazy sometimes.

We just need someone we can relate to. Someone who knows exactly what we’re going through. Someone to swap easy recipes with. And let’s be honest, someone we can bitch to.

So, at the risk of sounding too eager, wanna have a play date?

• Reply workingmommagic

I love play dates, since that is usually the times I get to see my friends! Most of us have kids around the same age, so it makes it easy for us to have some ‘mommy’ time! 🙂

September 23, 2014 at 8:24 am

That is so awesome your friends have kids the same age! None of my friends do, so I’ve been making mommy friends.

September 23, 2014 at 9:16 am
  • Reply Jennifer C.

I kind of think playdates are for the benefit of both mommy and child. It’s a win-win, because we all get to see our friends!

September 23, 2014 at 9:13 am

Absolutely! We all get to socialize and get a “break” from each other. Haha!

September 23, 2014 at 9:17 am
      • Reply Jennifer C.

Haha, exactly! The last playdate I had for my son, I went to check on him, and he looked at me like I had three heads. He shooed me away saying “I’m fine mom, geez.” He’s like a teenager already, and he’s only four! 😛

September 23, 2014 at 9:18 am

Lol!! That’s hilarious! I’m just waiting for my daughter to do that. Any day now probably…

September 23, 2014 at 9:19 am
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Haha, I so agree! Wish we lived closer cuz I’d totally come have a play date with you!

September 23, 2014 at 9:20 am

Yeah! Too bad! That would be so awesome! I bet our kids would have a blast! And it would be so much fun to just sit and chat with you!

September 23, 2014 at 9:30 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith.com

As the mom of an only child, play dates are my saving grace. Especially before Allie started school but we still love them! You are right, as much for us as them. Good post!

September 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thanks! Yes, we need to talk about things other than potty time and the Little Mermaid.

September 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm
  • Reply ashleylecompte

How I totally wish that we could! Haha! I know exactly what you mean about play-dates. I have a moms group that I go to every Monday and it’s wonderful. Sometimes, it’s a lot of work because the kiddos can’t seem to get settled and get used to one another. But most of the time, it’s wonderful and it does break up the day and the loneliness that sometimes accompanies motherhood!

September 23, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I need to find a moms group! I know what you mean about the kids getting settled. My daughter didn’t start interacting during her play dates until she was two-but she always liked that her friends were over, she just didn’t want to talk.

September 23, 2014 at 1:22 pm