Ditch the Pacifier

I am a terrible liar. Some could argue it’s a great quality to have. Except when it comes to surprises, I have a hard time pulling it off.

I very rarely lie to my children, but when I do, it’s usually a doozy.

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, Leprechauns…

Yesterday, I introduced Miss Z to the Binky Fairy. Yes. She’s real.

Either that, or I have a three year old that still relies on a pacifier to fall asleep. We seriously need to ditch the pacifier.

Our ultimate goal here is to get her potty trained. We feel that in order to do that, she needs to realize how awesome it is to be a “big girl”.

We started training when she was two.  We didn’t get anywhere other than getting her to sit on the potty. And when baby brother was born, she completely regressed.

She baby talks and cries when he cries. She has bruises up and down her legs from crawling all over the place like him.

We’ve tried different training methods throughout the year, including giving her breaks from it for weeks at a time-we didn’t want her to be too stressed!  God forbid we pressure her into something she doesn’t want to do!  (Side note-our pediatrician’s nurse said that there are more kids going into kindergarten that aren’t trained than there ever have been in the 20 years she’s been a nurse.  The reason?  Kids don’t want to potty train, and parents want to wait until their little precious is “ready”.)

We are done! We are done buying two different sizes of diapers every few weeks. And we are SO DONE cleaning up gigantic toddler poops.

Operation “Being a Big Girl is Awesome,” is in effect.

We started talking up the cool things she gets to do that baby brother can’t. She gets chocolate, ice cream, gets to play with the phone, she can walk and talk…

But, along with being a big girl, she no longer gets her binky.

We found a simple solution to ditch the pacifier and at the same time, make our kiddo happy about it. Find out how!

Yesterday was her first day without it.  For her nap, she cried for a little while.  But eventually fell asleep.

Before bed last night, she started asking questions.  I told her since she was a big girl now, the Binky Fairy took it so she could give it to another baby to use.  She stared at me while I was talking and asked a few questions.  And then, she didn’t cry going to sleep.

Today, before her nap, she asked about it again.  I reminded her of the Binky Fairy and how she gave it to another baby.  She said, “No, I gave it to a baby.”

This kid is always surprising me.  She seemed a little bummed that she didn’t have her pacifier anymore, but also seemed pretty happy because someone else was enjoying it.

Yes.  I lied.  I will probably do it again if the situation calls for it.

I’m not saying I’m proud of it.  But ask me in a few days how its going.  And if she no longer even mentions the binky, I will happily tell people how we did it.

Next stop for my big girl is peeing on the potty.  (Fingers crossed!!)

20140701-144931-53371567.jpg

***Update! She has never mentioned having a pacifier since. It has been two years.<3

• Reply Danielle

Good luck to you on your big girl journeys! Wish I had thought of the Binky Fairy when it was time for my Wee One to let the paci go!

August 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Thank you! She actually peed on the potty for the first time the day I published this post. I may have cried a little…

August 12, 2014 at 9:11 pm
  • Reply Nikki

Good luck to you and your little one. I myself has done this at one time or another. Not proud of it but hey if it helps them learn something, why not! LOL!!

August 12, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Sometimes parents have to lie out of love and the best interest of our babies… it’s not fun but Its necessary some times haha! Sounds like it’s working so good job mama!

August 12, 2014 at 10:30 pm

We aren’t on to the soother yet (we call pacifiers “soothers” in Canada), but I thoroughly appreciated this post. PLEASE update on potty training!!!

August 12, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I definitely will do an update! She pees on the potty regularly-but that’s it for now. I will do a happy dance and quite a detailed post once she’s completely out of diapers. Haha!

August 14, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Sorry, we aren’t on to getting rid of* the soother yet

August 12, 2014 at 11:48 pm
  • Reply Kristen Kelly

Good luck on the transition! We are going to have a hard time because my son is a finger sucker. I can’t do a “Finger Fairy”. He might have nightmares! Haha!

August 13, 2014 at 6:34 am

Oh, yes! I think that would give me nightmares too. LOL!

August 14, 2014 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply justamom8225

Best of luck with everything! We don’t use a pacifier with my youngest, but she does suck on two of her fingers for comfort (instead of her thumb.)

August 13, 2014 at 6:37 am

Thank you! Both of my kids are into the pacifiers-neither even attempt to use fingers (or thumbs.) I just hope the “Binky Fairy” works with my son if needed…

August 14, 2014 at 3:12 pm
  • Reply shelah@mosswoodconnections.com

When we lie to our children to help them we are giving them the gift of extending their childhood. After all, isn’t that the same as fairy tales and the Easter bunny?

August 14, 2014 at 8:18 am

Exactly! And I love the questions she comes up with regarding make believe things-she definitely keeps me on my toes!

August 14, 2014 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Martha

Good luck to you! A, the Binky Fairy is clever. Though it sounds like you’ve got a pretty clever tot, too 🙂

January 15, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Haha! Thank you! She is! Its been a few months and she’s binky-free, but she still brings it up. “I gave my binky to the Binky Fairy.” Thanks for stopping by!!

January 15, 2015 at 12:31 pm