Why, Mama?…But, Why?

Posted in Toddler by

When I was growing up, I remember asking my parents a ton of questions. Magically, they always had an answer. So, naturally, I thought they were the smartest people on earth and took everything they said as gospel.

It wasn’t until I went off to college that I (slowly) began to realize, maybe they just made educated guesses.

Now it’s my turn.

Miss Z asks “why” about everything. Which is cool-I love that she’s curious and thirsty for information, blah, blah, blah… But the word “why” can eventually get to you. I understand it’s a very normal three year old thing-and I was expecting it. It’s.just.so.much.

She hears a dog bark, “what was that?”

“It was a dog barking.”

“But why?”

“Because it saw another dog and wanted to say hi.”

“But why, mama?”

“That’s what dogs do, they bark at each other to say hi.”

“But….whhhhyyyyy…?” (This last one sounds how it reads, very whiny.)

Argh!!!! “I don’t know.”

“Why?”

This is a general idea of our daily conversations. When we get to the “I don’t know” part of it, (which NEVER flies, BTW,) my only option is to distract her with something else. And we repeat the above conversation.

The only time I can legitimately satisfy her “why,” is when I actually know something about what she’s asking about. I then over explain it and she loses interest.

It’s when I don’t know a whole lot that I’m screwed.  And my short answers don’t suffice, thus the “why game” begins again.

I try not to make crap up too often, because she’s also at the “repeat everything mama or daddy says phase.” Or, as I like to call it, the “throw mama or daddy under the bus phase.”

I wonder how old she’ll be when she decides I’m full of it and stops asking me “why” about everything.  Hopefully, I have awhile yet to be the smartest person in the world.

20140716-135222-49942701.jpg

July 14, 2014

• Reply Nina

Haha my 4yo does this a lot too. I love it though! I’m a big fan of them asking these kinds of questions. Their brains are working 🙂 I admit when I don’t know something and I try to look it up on the internet later on lol.

July 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Yes! I like that she asks about things too-just wish I always had an answer. Sometimes we look up the questions online together-then I have to distract her from YouTube. Haha!

July 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm
  • Reply Sasha

My daughter is in the exact same way right now, and she too ALWAYS has to have an answer. The most bizarre though is when I ask her why she did or did not do a certain thing she answers me “Because.” “Because why?” I respond. “Just because,” she responds back. I NEVER say this, how is my two year old giving the adult answers now! 🙂

July 15, 2014 at 10:32 am

That is so funny! I should start asking my daughter “why” more often to see what she says. I ask her plenty of questions, just never “why.”

July 15, 2014 at 10:36 am
      • Reply Sasha

Yes, see is she responds back with “because.” 🙂

July 15, 2014 at 10:56 am
  • Reply thesunshinewindow

Spot on. My 3.5 year old is the same. She asks questions from the time she wakes up to the time she sleeps. We wanted to encourage her to be inquisitive so we told her that asking questions is good. So once when I was really tired of all the questions I asked her to be silent for a minute and she goes..”But asking questions is good mom..you should ask a lot of questions”.

July 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hahaha! I love it when my 3 year old uses what I say against me!! “But mama, you said…” LOL!!

July 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

We are on the verge of this stage. My daughter asks, “What’s that, mama?” Or, “what’s that?” But that’s as far as it goes… I’ve been bracing myself for the litany of questions… What a cute post. I would venture to guess, like you did to your parents and I did to mine, she’s asking because she’s convinced you really have all the answers! 🙂

August 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm

That’s how it all started with us, “What’s that, mama?” Sometimes I ask her what she thinks the answer is and it usually doesn’t fly. Good luck with your little one’s questions.

August 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm
  • Reply kidcongeniality

WHY do I relate to this post so well? LOL! Great stuff!

August 27, 2014 at 6:49 pm