Leaving the Kiddos With Childcare When They Have Separation Anxiety

What is the purpose of a gym membership?

To be healthy, get fit, lose some pesky post pardum weight (that refuses to let go.)

Plus, they have childcare. So, if nothing else, I get to pee by myself.

Is it worth it? Yes. Because it gives me a tiny glimpse of my sanity. And I do my best to work out.

Yesterday we tried to go.

Got to the gym, dropped the kids off.

Unfortunately, a few months ago, the baby started having some serious separation anxiety. When I tried to leave yesterday, he started screaming. He even got to hang out with his favorite childcare lady, (not as in old lady-she’s younger than me), but he didn’t care.

So, I go to work out. After about ten minutes I could “feel” him still screaming, (I don’t go by “hearing” him anymore, because I ALWAYS hear him screaming, even if he’s asleep.)

Sure enough, he had been screaming the entire time I was gone. Back home we go.

I decided consistency is key-or so it was when we first started leaving Z at gym childcare.

Second day in a row for the gym. It’s such an ordeal getting both kids ready to go too!!

Both kids ready, start to go, toddler says she pooped. Ok. Changing her, boy starts pooping in the corner, (not as gross as it sounds, he had a diaper on, he was just making adorable grunting noises.)

Fine. Change him, now we go.

This is how I leave my kiddos at Childcare when they have Separation Anxiety.

So my new strategy for leaving my kiddos with childcare when they have separation anxiety

…I get my little guy interested in an activity, and when he isn’t paying attention to me, I very quietly leave. So far, he hasn’t cried and he always ends up having a great time!

Now I need to take advantage of this new technique and have some more me time go to the gym more.

How do you get your kiddos used to being in childcare?

• Reply andthreetogo

I have been really lucky that z never really went through a phase of separation anxiety. Of course my husband was adamant that we leave her with no one but family until she was over 1 year old. I am crossing my fingers that it lasts, but she is 3 now so I think we are in the clear?

July 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Probably. 🙂 We only left our daughter with family too until we joined the gym.

July 30, 2014 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply Sasha

I admit to being a a gym addict. I go at least five days a week–usually in the mornings. I started when mine were really young so they are very used to the ladies in there. My son did have a rough time a while back with the separation anxiety but it only lasted a week or less and then he was fine. Fine as long as we were at the exact same gym, with the same ladies. This does not mean he is good being dropped off ANYWHERE else. 🙂

I would say stay consistent, you and they will both be so happy in the end. When mommy gets a little me time, everyone is happy. 🙂 My kids actually love going now and playing with all their friends there.

August 1, 2014 at 11:47 am

I definitely want to go more often, so I will keep on trying. He actually did really well the other day. He never noticed I was gone!

August 1, 2014 at 12:06 pm
  • Reply Ai

The dreaded separation anxiety! Like you said, consistency is key. I’m not a gym person (but that’s another topic), but we put our kids regularly in our church nursery every week. We had to keep at it so they would get used to it. Some of our kids adapted better. Sometimes, we would talk about the nursery and fun that they’ll have hours before we drop them off, so that they can get excited about it. For one kid, we even took pictures of the nursery, showed it to her and talked about it throughout the week.

August 19, 2014 at 10:36 am

Pictures is a good idea. Get them used to it!

August 19, 2014 at 10:39 am
  • Reply britaknee

I always feel like my son is doing the same thing if I leave him for an hour! It’s kind of sweet, but so so sad!!

August 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm

So very sad! I hate leaving him! He has gotten used to the gym now-he seems to have fun anyway…

August 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm
  • Reply Darcy

My gym and the childcare there was a lifesaver last winter when I had a 2 and a half year old and a 6 month old and was going crazy in my house. I noticed that if we skipped the gym for more than 3-4 days, it was hard to get the kids to go in without a fight. So really, my kids being a pain just made me way more consistent about working out. Win!

August 19, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Haha! Yes-same ages for me last winter. So my son wasn’t a problem leaving because he didn’t care. I will go nuts this winter if I can’t go to the gym-so I will make it happen!

August 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply melissajane01

I’m lucky that I have family around so they usually watch them. My daughter never had a problem leaving me but my son, sometimes, does. So I’m going to try to put him in a preschool program two days a week when he is three.

August 19, 2014 at 3:50 pm

My mom usually watched my kids so they’re were always fine if we left. Until we joined the gym…

August 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm
  • Reply Natasha

Good luck and keep trying! I totally also hear the crying when they aren’t crying, usually in the middle of the night!

August 19, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Thank you! My trick actually worked-as long as I get him settled before I leave, he’s fine now. In the middle of the night I’m always checking the monitor because I think he’s awake! Lol!

August 19, 2014 at 6:59 pm