Breastfeeding TMI

Breastfeeding is an amazing gift a mother can give her child, (life is up there too.)  It takes time, dedication, and it can be extremely rewarding.  That is, of course, if you have the stomach for it.

To the mom’s that are able to breastfeed with no problems; perfect latch, no pain, smooth sailing the whole year, (or two, or three…)  Good for you!  That’s awesome!  Appreciate it on your own time, though, because the rest of us that breastfeed are (painfully) stumbling our way through.

When my son was about four months old, my right breast started to hurt.  It also started to become very hard on that side.  My first thought was a plugged duct which can quickly lead to mastitis, so I decided to try to pump it out.  Baby was on a random schedule so I couldn’t rely on him and I needed this thing fixed now!

I pumped for a very long time (intermittently for an hour.  When you pump, and no milk is coming out, the pain can lead to some tears).  I used heat and massage to try to get things moving.  No luck.  It was so painful I had a brief freak out moment thinking I had mastitis already and I would have to go to the doctor to fix it and would then have to stop breastfeeding.

I decided to “examine” my nipples.  There was a white spot on the bottom right side.  When I squeezed the nipple, the white spot “filled up” and got bigger.  (Do you know where I’m going with this?)

mama nursing an infant

It was a milk blister.  I know, gross!  I had never heard of such a thing and I only discovered what it was called by searching good old Google.

So, what does one do when they discover a blister is the cause of milk back up, pain, and horrible discomfort?  Yes, you get a sterile needle and you pop it.  At least that’s what I did.  And, Thank the Lord, it did the trick!!  I tried pumping and immediately had sweet relief! (I ended up pumping 6 ounces in less than 15 minutes…)

I am absolutely not a doctor.  Or a lactation consultant.  So, is this what I was supposed to do?  I have no idea.  But it worked out for me.  I had to keep a needle close by for a few days following, because it would close up.  But after that, I didn’t have any problems regarding blisters or milk back ups, (a biting, scratching baby while nursing is a totally different story!)

Normally I wouldn’t talk openly about this sort of thing.  I think there is only one other person that knows I did this, and since they’re his kids too, he gets to endure the good, the bad, and the ugly right along with me (haha!!).

The reason I’m sharing is because I know I’m not the only one that has experienced this. So if you’re having a similar type of milk back up, check for any white spots. And maybe consult your doctor. And, sorry, no pictures of it-you can do a google image search on your own. Good luck!

Have you experienced anything similar? I can’t possibly be alone on this!

For more breastfeeding stories, visit Zena’s Suitcase by clicking below.

Zena's Suitcase

• Reply andthreetogo

I had mastitis for a couple of days which was so painful. But I was able to take hot showers and massage the breast to relieve the pressure. I did feel like poo for two days though and could barely function. Funny how much of a number our boobs can do on us when we are breastfeeding. 🙂

August 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Yeah, No kidding! I still can’t believe how painful the first five weeks were! Yikes!

August 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm
  • Reply Valerie

Oh my goodness, that sounds so, so painful! I had a few times of clogged ducts and it was bad but nothing like what you describe. I DID have a *BITE* that was just about the worst pain ever, though. Bah 😛

August 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Clogged ducts aren’t fun either. I had one when I was nursing my daughter. And yes, bites are terrible. I’m lucky with my son, he doesn’t bite often and when he does, it’s not very hard.

August 9, 2014 at 1:09 am
  • Reply Mummy's Blog

Oh my goodness, I’ve never heard of such a thing! Thank you for sharing, I think this is the sort of thing they should tell you could happen when you start breastfeeding x

August 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

Sure! I agree! There are a few other things I wish they had told me about too.

August 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm
  • Reply Zena's Suitcase (@zenas_suitcase)

Touch wood I’ve never had one of these, but I would have done exactly the same thing as you! So glad to hear it worked. Thanks so much for linking up with #BFingDiaries!

August 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Sure! Thank you for having me.

August 27, 2014 at 2:06 pm
  • Reply sophieblovett

There are so many things that can go wrong with breastfeeding! It’s one of my biggest bugbears that pre-natal advisors seem so keen to convince people to nurse that they won’t be open about what to do if it’s not all plain sailing. I don’t know what I would have done without the internet in the first few days and weeks! Glad you managed to get this one sorted – thanks for sharing 🙂 #BFingDiaries

August 30, 2014 at 4:12 am

Agreed! I wish I knew more going into it. Google helped me out on a couple of things!! Thanks for stopping by!!

August 30, 2014 at 7:45 am
  • Reply Bec (@becb1984)

I’m still so grateful that I managed to get through nearly 21 months of breastfeeding without getting mastitis – but when I did, boy did I get it! From ‘hmm, that’s a bit sore’ to unable to stand, shivering uncontrollably in the space of an HOUR. I couldn’t believe how quickly it developed. I had no milk blister so it was hot flannels and hand expressing for me – it happened 3 days before we moved house and my pump was packed up, I had no idea where!! Glad you found a method that worked – even if it’s a bit unconventional!

August 30, 2014 at 6:30 am

Woah-that moved fast! Yikes! I didn’t experience anything like that. Congrats on the 21 months though, that is so awesome!

August 30, 2014 at 7:47 am
  • Reply Hannah Budding Smiles

Oh my goodness that sounds insanely painful! I don’t think I’d have been brave enough to use the needle myself. Glad you fixed it xx #BFingDiaries

August 31, 2014 at 1:19 pm