3 Super Easy Ways to Freeze Chicken

On my quest for staying within an actual grocery budget, I have started to buy things in bulk.  With the non-perishables, it’s no big deal.  The perishables are a whole different story.

I have thrown away my fair share of rotten fruits or vegetables, and meat that has gone bad.  Maybe I should start throwing cash away too, because it’s pretty much the same thing.

Now when we shop for groceries, I try to have a (tentative) plan in place for everything.

I buy berries.  We enjoy fresh berries for a few days, then I either freeze them, or make freezer jam (so easy and amazing!!).

The other day, I bought a bunch of chicken.

IMG_0429.JPG

I decided to freeze all of it in really easy, minimal effort freezer meals.

3 Super Easy Ways to Freeze Chicken

Here they are, easiest to “hardest.”

First, I took two breasts and put them in a food saver bag, vacuum sealed them, then froze them.  Two breasts are perfect for my family for one meal, and a few leftovers.  Freezing them like this is awesome because when I decide to use them, I can do whatever I want.

Second, I cut one breast up and put it in a freezer bag.  I added teriyaki sauce and froze it.  Crazy easy.  When we have teriyaki, one breast is enough because we have a ton of veggies on the side, not to mention rice.  Side note-when you decide to use it, thaw it out and get rid of the excess sauce.  I didn’t do that the first time I made this and the sugar in the sauce burned.  Not a great flavor, and not a good smell-that happens to linger…  Besides, you can always add more sauce once everything is cooked.

Third, I added two breasts to my crockpot, some chicken broth and about half of a fajita seasoning packet.  You can use whatever seasoning you want, the end result (after about 6 hours of cooking), is perfectly shredded chicken.  Great for tacos, fajitas, enchilada’s…  I packed it into a freezer bag, labeled it, and stuck it in the freezer for a lazy cooking day.IMG_0430.JPG

3 Super Easy Ways to Freeze Chicken

There you have it.  My three easy ways to freeze chicken.

What types of plans do you have when you buy in bulk?

August 15, 2014

• Reply melissajane01

Love the shredded chicken idea!

August 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thanks-I make it all the time!

August 15, 2014 at 4:03 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Very easy! I used to get chicken breast in bulk from Costco and splitting the package to freeze in smaller servings is definitely the key. I have never prepared it and then froze it though. I was never that on the ball. I would love to start doing so if we travel somewhere with more bulk shopping though.

August 15, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I think my next step in bulk shopping will be from Costco-so far, I just buy at the grocery store.

August 15, 2014 at 11:43 pm
  • Reply Kelly

I have an awesome chicken crock pot meal that I make all the time that is super easy and very inexpensive since it involves cooking a whole chicken (cheaper to buy that way than just breasts). Get a whole chicken, remove the innards (I throw those away because – blech), put in the crock pot breast side up. Take a yellow onion and cut into quarters – put that inside the chicken. Wash a lemon and zest it; cut it in half and squeeze the juice onto the chicken, sprinkle the zest on top. Put a couple of small dollops of butter on top of the chicken. Sprinkle pepper and thyme on top and put the lid on! Cook on high 5-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours. Lots of yummy chicken that can be eaten in tons of different ways and is super easy and cheap! Yum!

August 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Sounds delicious! I am going to make this next time! Thank you!

August 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm
  • Reply Sasha

Great ideas!! I never thought to freeze chicken prepped like this. I always just threw the breasts in plain.

August 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Thanks! It makes it so much easier when I’m too tired to think about what to cook. 🙂

August 15, 2014 at 11:41 pm