Blueberry Picking!

First impressions are important.

When you first meet someone, whether it’s for a first date or job interview.

The first time you go to a new place. Is it a clean restaurant? Does it seem like it’s a fun place worthy of your family’s time?

But sometimes a person or a place deserves a second look.

Today we decided to take the family to a new park. It’s was a blueberry park and I had heard great things about it.

When we pulled up, there were not two, but three piles of broken glass from car windows.IMG_0503.JPGNot a fantastic start. These crimes most likely took place at night, so we pressed on.

We started walking on the perfectly paved trail and felt as if we were suddenly in an episode of Supernatural. That’s probably because we just saw a particularly creepy episode that took place in an orchard…and the rows upon rows of bushes seemed like it would be easy to get lost in.
IMG_0509.JPGAnd lastly, for our not so great first impression, see the photo above? On the right hand side, just after the bushes, there is a bench. There was a guy sleeping on it. So we did what any blueberry loving family would do, and we turned left at the fork. We were determined to pick some berries!

At first glance, it was difficult to see any. But once our eyes adjusted, they were everywhere!

Aside from getting free berries, my favorite part was it FELT like we were the only ones there. We knew we weren’t because we could hear the other families, but didn’t see any of them. So it was like our own private blueberry farm.IMG_0516.JPGWe got a ton! No thanks to the kiddos, though! Z kept eating them and feeding them to her brother.

Next time we go, our rule is “Eat all you want from the bushes, just don’t take any from the bowls!”

My husband and I could have stayed all day-we were having a blast. But the kids were getting restless, so we decided to leave. After just one hour of intermittent berry picking, we almost filled our big bowl.IMG_0518.JPGA cool little bonus-I caught a tree frog and I got to show the kids. Even though the little bastard peed on me, the amazement from Z made it worth it. (R was indifferent. Ha!)

We will definitely be going to this park again! If you’re in my area, it’s called Charlotte’s Blueberry Park in Tacoma.

What did I do with our mother load, you ask?

I made a blueberry crisp using my blackberry crisp recipe. It is now my favorite dessert, (with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top.)

And for the remaining berries, I made freezer jam. Just blueberries, some sugar, and a dash of water-stir continuously on the stovetop for about 20 minutes or so. It turned out awesome!IMG_0555.JPGWhat types of berries do you like to pick?

Summer Days
August 17, 2014

• Reply andthreetogo

I have never lived in a place where blueberries grew in the wild! Blackberries grow where I’m from so we would often do blackberry cobbler. 🙂 Im glad you made it through the day with your car windows in tact.

August 18, 2014 at 8:13 am
    • Reply andthreetogo

*intact.

August 18, 2014 at 8:13 am

Haha! Thanks! Picking the blueberries was nice because we didn’t have to worry about sticker bushes!

August 18, 2014 at 8:20 am

We have strawberry picking here in south florida, but I have always wanted to go blueberry picking! I get so jealous when I see people with huge bowls of blueberries!!

August 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

Oh! We used to have a strawberry farm close by, but they closed. I miss it!

August 19, 2014 at 11:16 am
  • Reply pinkbekah

Blueberries are my favorite! I haven’t picked any myself in a few years, but goijg blueberry picking was something we did every year (sometimes multiple times in one year!) I’d love to take my kids next year!

August 19, 2014 at 11:50 am

They are my new favorite! We’ll definitely be going again soon!

August 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm
  • Reply Tricia the Good Mama

My son loves blueberries! I think there’s a farm near us that grows them. We’ll have to go some time. I laughed at the first impressions bit. We just moved from the city, so we are quite used to broken windows and people sleeping on benches.

August 19, 2014 at 6:09 pm

You should go! It was such a fun family activity! I moved to the city about 8 years ago. I guess I’m still getting used to it. Haha!

August 19, 2014 at 6:56 pm
  • Reply Rex, Tarynn's dad

One of my earliest childhood memories was going blueberry picking with your Nana. I must have been about Zoe’s age because I would ride on mom’s back with my arms around her neck as she bent over the low bushes. This was in Minnesota, and the berries were pretty small, just a bit bigger than our huckleberries, and they grew on plants about calf height.

I also recall how that particular trip came to an end. We saw a black bear munching on the delicious blueberries a short distance away. If my memory is correct, I think we ran back to the car.

August 20, 2014 at 9:49 am

Not sure why, but that made me tear up a bit. You and mom should go with us next time. It was so much fun! Most of the blueberries were pretty small, but there were five different varieties so all different sizes. I think people now a days would be in more danger if they saw a black bear. Only because their first thought would not be to run-it would be to get a picture!

August 20, 2014 at 9:57 am
  • Reply Mini Travellers

Looks like a fab day out #summerdays

September 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm

It was! Thanks for stopping by!!

September 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm
  • Reply mami2five

I can’t believe you had all those blueberries for free! We have blackberries growing everywhere here so that is our berry of choice. There are also wimberries if we want to venture up onto the mountain but it would take a month to collect the amount you got!
    I’m glad you pushed past the more unpleasant part to find that it was actually a great place to go. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day lol
    Thanks for linking up #SummerDays

September 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm

It was awesome! We want to go again, but I don’t know when blueberry season is done. We have blackberries here too, but I’ve never heard of wimberries. Are they good? Sweet or tart?

September 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm
      • Reply mami2five

A wimberry is a bit like a tiny blueberry, they grow on very short, scruffy bushes and can be really hard to find a good crop! They are quite tart and not as juicy as a blueberry. They also have a really short picking period of only the first two weeks of August. This is another reason why we haven’t picked any for years, I always remember too late lol

September 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Wow! Two weeks?! That’s nuts! I’m curious to try them now.

September 9, 2014 at 4:35 pm