Purses, Pockets, and CR-V’s

About 15 years ago, I used to go out dancing every friday and saturday night.  No, not “twerking” or “grinding” dancing.  Swing dancing.  I used to get all gussied up in some sort of ’40’s-ish outfit and I would take the pins out of my hair, (because I was making pin curls, obviously.)

Then I would get to choose out of my fantastic collection of purses.  Which one do I take tonight?  The bright yellow one?  The red one with gems?  I was sort of into purses.  Not shoes, not clothes so much, purses, (although, I loved a good deal on an awesome vintage outfit).

Over the years, as I started using these awesome funky purses less and less, I gave them away.  Little by little.  (Makes it sound like I had 100’s, it was more like 10.)

Eventually, I got down to one purse that I used daily.  I had the normal stuff in it.  Wallet, chapstick, compact, etc…Since becoming a mom, things have changed…a bit.

I held out as long as I could.  I would carry my cute purse along with my diaper bag.  Soon, it ended up inside the diaper bag.  Now I just have a wallet.  This is my adorable, super stylish “purse” that I use now.

IMG_0658.JPGIt could be worse.  But it is definitely a diaper bag.  And lets take a look inside, shall we?IMG_0660.JPG

A blanket, homemade baby wipes, two types of sunscreen, toys, diapers.  And if you look close enough, my wallet is in the center a bit to the left.IMG_0661.JPG

And if we delve a bit deeper, we would discover even more baby stuff that is even less “put-together” mommy stuff.  I’m pretty sure there are bubbles that I see, and of course some sort of ointment-most likely desitin.  I am feeling more and more glamorous by the second.

Just for grins, I thought I might empty my pockets.  I had a chocolate wrapper (chocolate happens to be my coping mechanism, which we are dangerously low on), the backing of a temporary tattoo, and a Dum-Dum stick, (and yes, the inside of my pocket is sticky. Shocker!)  That is a sharpie mark on my thumb and I have no idea how it got there.  But I do know it’s kid/family related.

IMG_0654.JPGSo now that we know my “glamorous” days are really and truly behind me, perhaps I can move on and embrace my mommy life.  Next up is my “soccer mom” car.  Oh, wait, I already have a CR-V.

What’s in your pocket?

August 19, 2014

• Reply threeboysandamom

I have been thinking of a post very similar to this one about what’s in my purse/diaper bag… the other day I found a hard boiled egg in there….and then I ate it. Oh yeah! Mom Life is awesome!!!!!

August 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Nothing at the moment. I think the happiest I have ever been, besides giving birth to my daughter, was finally getting to use a real purse again!

August 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I will get to again some day. I just know it!

August 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply Tricia the Good Mama

I love that you used to swing dance! So much fun! My baby has totally taken over my pockets and bags. Fortunately, I held onto some of my cute bags for nights out with my husband. I always feel totally naked not lugging around my diaper bag.

August 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Yes, I feel lost without it! And I overdid it getting rid of purses because now I don’t have any! So when we go out, I just take my wallet. Super classy! (Swing dancing was so much fun!! I miss it!)

August 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm
  • Reply Christine

we just took a vacation to Disney and at first I had a purse packed and ended up not even taking it. My ID stayed in my husband’s wallet and I put 1 credit card in my diaper backpack in case I needed it if my hubby wasn’t around. I miss my fun purses 🙁

September 30, 2014 at 9:24 am

Yes! Half the time I just take out my ID and credit card too. One day we’ll get to use fun purses again, I’m sure of it!!

September 30, 2014 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith.com

Oh, you’re still dancing! It’s just to Elmo or Veggie Tales or Dora or such. My purse is off limits to my daughter now. At seven, she carries her own 🙂 A good post.

September 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

Haha-true! My daughter has more purses than I do, and she’s three!! Thanks!

September 30, 2014 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Sojourner Walker (@sojossojourns)

It’s so crazy how this happens, but it does. My “purse” looks a lot like yours. And oh, god, the hubby and I are trading our four door sedan in for something bigger next weekend. It’s happening…

September 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hahaha! It happened before I even realized it. Good luck with your new car! Lol!

September 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm
  • Reply Branson

I can totally relate to this! LOL! I have abandoned the diaper bag FINALLY and have an actual purse again… but my son is 4 and I just switched back (carried a little kids backpack with his stuff in it in between there… looked so awesome with my shiny ninja tutrles bag, ha!)

September 30, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Ninja turtles?! Ha-awesome! Yay for going back to a real purse!! I will someday…

September 30, 2014 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply Jaya Pandey

Ha ha! I love this post Tatynn. I was doing the same. But now I am in reverse direction. Yesterday I bought a lovely sling bag type of purse for me and I am so happy to get back to my old purses. My daughter is two now and I don’t need to carry as much stuff as I needed earlier. I am kind of loving it 😀

October 2, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks! A sling bag sounds wonderful!! My son is a little over one, so I’ll get there soon.

October 2, 2014 at 10:49 am