The State Fair

My parents took the family to the fair yesterday. I told Z about it on Wednesday and she kept bringing it up throughout the rest of the week. So, no backing out. Sigh.

The fair isn’t my favorite place to be, (especially on a Saturday.)

The crowds are insane. We got there early, but there were already hoards of people everywhere.

The view on food at the fair is disgusting. There was a billboard right outside the entrance that said, “Washington won’t take full for an answer.” (With a guy trying to take a bite out of a burger bigger than his head.)IMG_1476.JPG

Gross. So you’re encouraging us to engorge ourselves on greasy fair food all day long. Obviously they want us to eat to make money, but, ugh, that billboard is what is wrong with eating habits in the US.

Did I mention the people yet? Once inside, there were so many more.

Then there are the animals. They’re dirty and smelly, and they always look so sad. Probably just me, I’m sure they’re treated very well.

My mom took Z to see the pigs, (her favorite), and a woman asked one of the pig’s owners which pigs were going to be eaten. So weird. My mom grabbed Z and hauled it out of there.

We end up going every year and by the time we leave I decide that we will never, ever go again.

That said, here are the reasons we WILL be going again. Every single year.

Scones. My husband says they taste like dry biscuits with jelly.

Yeah. So? They’re delicious. Mostly because there’s a tab of butter for every bite you take along with a mouthful of jelly. Yep, they’re good.IMG_1296.JPGWho cares if we can buy the mix at the store (for a fraction of the price)? I would never add as much butter and jelly to it at home, so I would wonder why they didn’t taste as good.

Roasted corn. Again with the price. Yes, I can buy three corn on the cobs for $1 at the store, but I would much rather pay $5 for one that is perfectly roasted. Then there are the toppings. The butter, salt, garlic salt, onion powder, Parmesan cheese…I could go on.IMG_1305.JPGIMG_1317.JPGThe animals. Miss Z LOVES farm animals. She only likes to look though, (as soon as we leave the pig barn, she says, “Can we go see the pigs again?”). However, she wouldn’t touch any of the animals in the petting zoo.

R had a blast. He loved petting the goats! It’s so fun seeing the amazement in his eyes when he does something new.

I realize my reasons for hating the fair are the same reasons we’ll be going again. What it really comes down to is the kids.

Z will talk about yesterday for weeks. Guaranteed. She didn’t talk much while we were there, (until she had a Hawaiian Shaved Ice with daddy, then she wouldn’t shut up).IMG_1364.JPGShe was mostly taking it all in. R had a great time too, and he’ll only enjoy it more as he gets older.

Who knows, maybe I’ll rediscover my love for the fair when we start riding the rides or playing the games with the kiddos. Maybe.

Either way, we’ll be back at it in the spring.

What’s your favorite or not so favorite thing about the state fair?

September 14, 2014

• Reply ChristianCouponGal (@RealCouponDiva)

looks like everybody had a great time πŸ˜€

September 15, 2014 at 1:29 pm

This cracked me up! I HATE going to fairs, they gross me out… but we always end up going since I know how much fun I thought they were when I was a kid… and now my kids love it! As long as we don’t end up going home with a goldfish, I consider it a win. πŸ˜‰

September 16, 2014 at 10:32 am

Oh, yeah!! The goldfish! I’ll add that to my list, ugh! Yep, the kids love it too much to avoid it.

September 16, 2014 at 10:34 am
  • Reply shelahmoss

I completely agree! I really hate crowds but I can forget about the crowds while I’m enjoying the kids.

September 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Yes! As long as I can just focus on the kids.

September 16, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply Less to More

I’ve been to the fair, even tried to get a job at the fair when I was a teen. I didn’t get hired. Why? I don’t know. They hire everyone. In hindsight, I’m glad I didn’t work there. I don’t like the fair for all the reasons you mentioned. I’m just glad my kids are pretty clueless about them.

September 16, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I’m glad you didn’t work there either. They are just terrible! It seemed like a good idea taking my daughter for the first time a year ago and she fell in love with it. I regret introducing it to her.

September 16, 2014 at 10:32 pm
  • Reply Mommy A to Z

I’m a sucker for state fairs, despite how disgustingly unhealthy and expensive they are. I love seeing the kids have a great time, and it brings back great memories. But yeah, at some of these fairs the animals seem sad πŸ™

September 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I’m curious to see how I like it once we start playing the games. Either way, my daughter is hooked.

September 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm
  • Reply Sasha

Ah, such precious moments!! I think we somehow seemed to miss the fair this year. :-/ Reading your post has just inspired me to check if you is still around though. πŸ™‚

BTW: I love your new little mommy logo!

September 17, 2014 at 11:51 am
  • Reply mami2five

We have a country show and a county fair but I don’t think they are anywhere near as big as what you have, also the animals there are either being shown or are for sale so are extra well cared for and better groomed than me πŸ™‚
    We also have a love hate relationship with them. Everything is so expensive, but the kids love going. We actually missed them both this year due to illness.
    Thanks for linking up. Hope to see you again next year! #SummerDays

September 19, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Crazy expensive! I’m surprised they didn’t charge us to walk through each of the barns-haha! Thank you!!

September 19, 2014 at 2:01 pm