Cooking With My Little

Now that Z is hitting a certain age, she wants to do everything by herself. I try to let her with a lot of things. She does a great job pouring things into her cup, and, lucky me, she knows how to open the refridgerator. Oh, and she learned really quick where the “snack drawer” is, so, she sometimes just helps herself. Ugh.

The first time she wanted to go to the potty by herself, well, we learned from that one. She forgot to put Dora on the toilet (the potty training piece that goes on the regular toilet). And yes, she fell in. It was so sad! Now whenever she says she wants to pee, we always remind her to put Dora on.

She has always loved helping out in the kitchen. She cooks with my dad everytime he’s over, and he even got her an adorable Z-sized apron.

I let her help me cook too, but I forget a lot of times. But thanks to Ai at Less To More and her post the other day 5 Benefits of Having Little Kitchen Helpers, I was reminded to let my little lady help me more often. Because she really does love it!

So, I thought we would do something (fairly) quick, and very simple. That way, she could pretty much do it all by herself.

I picked up some pumpkin ice cream at TJ’s and it is delicious! It tastes just like the pie! So, why not add a little pie crust garnish? I always have pie crust on hand (store bought-if you make your own, more power to ya!)

We got her cute little apron on. Washed hands (for a really long time). And got ready.

She unrolled the crust on the floured surface, that she made. IMG_1587.JPGIMG_1589.JPGThen took cookie cutters and went to town. IMG_1591.JPGI was hoping for leaves because it would be crazy adorable for fall, but I couldn’t find them. We had to settle for a more Halloween theme. Z liked it though, she kept saying, “Look Mommy, we’re making Batman’s!” (Uncle Q will be so proud!)

Apparently, my OCD comes out when I’m cooking. I tend to “hover” and correct people. It was making me crazy how she was cutting the bats out-randomly and everywhere. But, I kept myself in check because she is learning her way to do things-plus, she was doing a great job.

While she was making Batman’s, I brushed each piece with a bit of butter and sprinkled them with some cinnamon and sugar. Then I baked for about 8 minutes. Stick it in the prettiest scoop of ice cream you can make, and there you go.IMG_1638.JPG An easy, and very tasty dessert for guests, or just for fun for the family.

IMG_1636.JPG

What do you like to make in the kitchen with your kiddos?

IMG_1608.JPG

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to join the conversation and leave a comment. Also, if you’d like, you can follow Mama By Fire on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.

• Reply Ai

I’m squealing at all the cuteness in this post! She did a great job! So did you, mama! And I’m loving that little apron!

September 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Naomi

That’s so awesome! Mine helps me cut vegetables. It’s amazing what she can do with determination and a plastic butter knife.

September 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Haha! A plastic butter knife?! Nice!

September 26, 2014 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Reblogged this on And Three To Go and commented:
    Great idea! You are making me miss TJ’s with every post! Hahah

September 26, 2014 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

I love this! You are really making me miss TJ’s . Hahah

September 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Ha! Sorry about that! Lol!

September 26, 2014 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Just seriously adorable!!!! Love it ❀

September 26, 2014 at 10:16 pm
  • Reply theblackberryboys

The last phot is is just super cute πŸ™‚ Pumpkin pie ice cream and bat cookies, perfect for fall πŸ™‚

September 27, 2014 at 12:38 am

Thank you! Yes, it worked out! So easy and tasty!

September 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

What a great helper you have! She’s such an adorable little girl <3 I love the bat idea. I know what you mean though, I can feel a bit OCD at times when we are making crafts or baking. I get a bit tense, and then, like you remind myself they're learning. And a little bit more mess on top of a fairly consistent baseline of mess is not the end of the world! Lol.

September 27, 2014 at 9:19 am

She is a big help! Thank you! I drive my husband crazy when he’s cooking ☺️ I just have to remember to leave the kitchen so we can stay friends. Haha! Same with the crafts-she loves to paint with her hands. So much fun!!

September 27, 2014 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply maggiemaysgifts

So cute! I’m sure she had a blast (and you too):)

September 27, 2014 at 7:40 pm
  • Reply Tricia the Good Mama

What an adorable helper you have there! She is just too cute! I can’t wait till my son can help me out in the kitchen. It looks like so much fun.

September 29, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thank you! It is fun! And while the kiddo is learning how to cook, mama is learning patience…

September 29, 2014 at 7:59 am
  • Reply Samantha

I can get a little OCD in the kitchen too. Especially when I recently cleaned it. But like you said I too try to keep it in check and let them go about it their own way, the only way they learn how to do it and build their confidence up. πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing, I need to get my littles into the kitchen more too!

September 29, 2014 at 1:35 pm

It can be difficult letting them work with trial and error, but when they figure out a way that works, it’s so worth it! Thank you for stopping by!

September 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm
  • Reply Mommy Crusader

Good job letting her do it on her own. That takes a lot of restraint and is something I’m still trying to master. Thanks for the fabulous idea to involve little ones in the kitchen.

September 30, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Thanks! I’m still a work in progress.

September 30, 2014 at 11:07 pm
  • Reply Sue Parke

Omg she fell in the toilet lol?! Poor thing! This looks delicious! Brilliant idea with the pie crust and pumpkin ice cream. I’m definitely gonna need to go to TJ’s to get some – I haven’t tried it. Btw if she can open the fridge maybe start putting her to work when you’re unloading groceries! Lol

October 2, 2014 at 9:14 am

You two are adorable! It’s so smart to always have pie crust on hand. I think you should periscope everything you ever make so I can just copy you always πŸ˜› I’m sort of kidding but not entirely…
    Also, Z has the most beautiful hair ever!

September 30, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Thank you! I’m actually going to scope this one probably next week. I’m really trying to share more archived posts on Twitter and I found this one and was like “periscope!!” Thank you! I miss her long hair, but the short hair is pretty freaking cute-and WAY less maintenance.

September 30, 2015 at 7:59 pm