Forced Down Time

Everyday life as a mom is not easy. You have to watch and/or entertain the kids, tidy up (if you actually clean with cleaners everyday, you’re my hero), and you “get” to cook all day long.

Sure, you get your escapes here and there. Facebook, Twitter, a sip of luke warm coffee. Then it’s back to it.

Lately my family has an extra element thrown in there.

We’re moving.

Well, in the process of. We don’t have a place to move to yet. So, we’re actually packing, getting rid of as much crap as we can, and searching for a new place.

When I say, “getting rid of crap,” I mean it. We’ve been in the same house for 8 years, and my husband’s parents lived there before us.

It’s not a small house, either. There is crap, um, precious valuables that someone else could use, in every single nook and cranny.

So if we don’t use it, or haven’t used it in the last year, it goes. By the time we move, we’re hoping we won’t need a storage unit and won’t have much clutter. I realize this is asking a lot with two small children, but we can try, can’t we?

The big move day (the day I have the trucks and the muscles pinned down), is November 3rd.

Now just for fun, we’re going to put the packing and the purging on hold for ten days.

Why, you ask? Because we’re needed elsewhere to house sit. My parents are in Japan, (so awesome, I know), and the labradoodle, Eclair, can’t feed herself.IMG_2040-0.JPGI could stress myself out into a gigantic mess, or I can appreciate the forced down time.IMG_1971-0.JPGPlus we have a lot of family on this side of the water, so we’ll get to see some of them.

And if course this weekend we have big plans to go house hunting, (not Sunday, though, that’s reserved for football, obvs.)

And luckily for me, I’m a master list maker. I can make a ton of lists and organize everything that needs to be done when we get home in a beautiful Excel spreadsheet. That’ll make it a lot easier, right? And less stressful….right?!

So while we’re here, I may as well enjoy it. The kids are already having a blast,IMG_1964.JPGand really, how can anyone complain with a view of Mt. Rainier like this?IMG_2049-0.JPGIMG_2047-1.JPGDo you have any organization hacks that may help our anxiety levels stay in check? Please share!

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to join the conversation and leave a comment. Also, if you’d like, you can follow Mama By Fire on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.

• Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

I’m getting ready to move too (Army Life). I make the rule too, if you haven’t used it in a year… I found myself ‘using’ a few things just to keep them πŸ˜‰ Big tip for you is don’t overwhelm yourself. Pick a room/area a day to go through and sort into Pack, Donate, Sell, or Trash piles. Don’t let your kids help as much as you want them to they will convince you to keep things they wont miss, as moms we have a hard enough time parting with things! Have them go through their toys and pick out some to donate. Trash things that are broken or missing pieces. We do this before every holiday! Good Luck with the move!

October 10, 2014 at 7:35 am

Oh, wow! Thank you so much for the great tips! This helps a lot!! I will be referring back to your comment when I get home and back to packing. Thanks again!

October 10, 2014 at 7:38 am
  • Reply Theresa (Capri + 3)

That is wonderful that you have a respite for ten days from the packing madness. Enjoy! That view is incredible. I wish you the best in finding your new home. I came by from the IBN.

October 10, 2014 at 8:08 am

Yes, we’re doing our best to relax. Thank you! It’s been an adventure!

October 10, 2014 at 8:21 am
  • Reply productivewahm

Enjoy your down time. I’m thinking of taking a vacation for a couple of weeks in November. I won’t be going anywhere, I just need a break from my work to focus on the mommy stuff for a while. πŸ˜€

October 10, 2014 at 8:13 am

We will! That’s a good idea! Take a break from the daily and recharge!

October 10, 2014 at 8:23 am
  • Reply Melodi Steinberg

Yikes! I do not envy you. I have not moved in over 14 years so I do not have any advice. But when all else fails pour yourself a glass of wine!

October 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

Lol! I’m sure I’ll be breaking into the wine soon. That is great advice! Haha!

October 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

You’re in Washington???? I am supposed to be voting for you on TMB but just realized you’re not THAT far from me. I just assumed everyone lived plane rides away. And you have a labradoodle? When the time comes, that is our dog of choice. I realize I’m not commenting on what you wrote, but what I saw. I just got excited. Lol.

October 10, 2014 at 9:14 am

Hahahaha!!!! You crack me up! How far are you? I knew you were in Canada, I just don’t know where. The labradoodle is my brother’s and we’re watching her. She’s really sweet-and great with the kids! Lol!!

October 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

I’m very close to Vancouver. It’s about 40 mins from where I live to Blaine, WA. 3 hours to Seattle (or Skattle as my daughter calls it).

October 10, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Oh, wow! That is close! So crazy-I had no idea!

October 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Susan Moseley

Down time is good time. Enjoy it.

October 10, 2014 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Valerie

Oh, what a beautiful view!!
    Enjoy the forced break and I wish you luck on downsizing your junk…er, stuff. πŸ˜‰ We’ve been doing the EXACT same thing!

October 10, 2014 at 11:24 am

It is! πŸ˜€ Thanks, I will. I feel as if we’ve been getting rid of stuff for years. It’s so funny how we hang onto things we don’t use for so long. Good luck on your purging too! πŸ™‚

October 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm
  • Reply workingmommagic

Yes just try to enjoy yourself and what an amazing view!! Tell your parents I’ll house sit for them next vacation! πŸ˜‰

October 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

Thanks! I will! Yeah, all I have to do is look outside to relax.

October 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm
  • Reply Branson

I am a BIG fan of forced downtime… rarely take any unless it is forced, ha! Enjoy your break!!

October 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply Jen @ The Halfway Homemaker

We just moved. The hardest part isn’t moving, it is settling into the new place. Call in handymen to fix any little problems, place shelf paper and deep clean before you start bringing your stuff over to the new place. It is so much easier to prepare and organize a home before all your stuff gets there.

October 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Ah! I never would have thought to do a deep clean first. Thank you so much! So smart!

October 10, 2014 at 10:23 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

We all need some down time every now and then…even though it’s never really down time once you become a mom. But at least you get a break from the packing and are enjoying time with your babies. Beautiful pictures ☺

October 11, 2014 at 6:07 am

Yes. So true! We’ve been enjoying the change of scenery-and they’ve been having a lot of fun with the dog. Thank you!!

October 11, 2014 at 6:36 am
  • Reply Naomi

Hrm, my giant organization help is to just not plan anything because the kids always have something else in mind. Not much help πŸ˜› If you can get a neighbor or friend to watch the kids the day the big trucks are there, it’s a huge help.

October 11, 2014 at 7:49 am

Haha-thanks! That’s a good tip! I think I’ll see if grandma can watch them.

October 11, 2014 at 7:51 am
  • Reply andthreetogo

I don’t have any hacks, but I can encourage you via the interwebs! Good luck with everything and I will be thinking of you. πŸ™‚

October 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm
  • Reply Tricia the Good Mama

Good luck with your move! We just moved this past August. Where does all of the junk come from?! I got ride of a lot of stuff. I used this company that came in and took all of our leftover junk and donated it.

October 13, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Thank you! I have no idea! It’s crazy how much stuff we have. We will be donating a ton of stuff too once we’re done.

October 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm