Why Do We Let Them?

As parents, we do everything for our kids. We want them to learn how to be independent, do things for themselves and others, sure.

But if they want something done, and they can’t physically do it, we’re right there to take care of it.

We feed them, clothe them, bathe them, and wipe up their poop. (Wherever it may be. Ideally? In the diaper. Even better? In the toilet so we just have to flush. I’m still waiting for that very special day…)

So, we give our entire being to these little people.IMG_1572.JPGThey get our time and sanity. We no longer sleep which takes a toll mentally and physically.

So after all of that, why do we let them beat us up?

We’re wiped out enough from chasing them around. Now they get to poke, prod, kick, and scratch us?!

Part of my daughter’s bedtime routine is jumping off of daddy into her bed.

That means he lays on the floor and she steps up on his stomach, (or back, depending on her mood), counts to ten (while bouncing), then push-jumps off of him into bed.

When my son’s little hands aren’t occupied by pulling gobs of my hair out, he’s scratching the crap out of my face, lips, and chest while nursing.IMG_1766.JPGThis sweet, loving picture was taken right before I got kicked in the face. (Yes that’s my phone-I assure you, it’s not a common mealtime occurrence.)

My daughter still insists on being carried around all the time. I love the cuddles I get, and as long as she asks nicely, I’m happy to oblige. But let’s face it, she’s a huge toddler, and I’m a thirty-something mama with a back problem.

The extra poundage, that I always only carry on the left side, is not helping me out.IMG_1808.JPG(Yes, that creepy creature is Peppa.)

We still allow these things to take place. Why? Because it makes the kid happy. And that’s what we’re here for, right? To keep the ones we gave birth to happy as long as we have the power. Even if it means an extra aching back or a bloody lip.

Before I know it, I’ll be missing the scratches because we’re almost done nursing, and I’ll be wishing the little girl still wanted me to carry her.

So I will stop whining about it and appreciate the stages we’re at for today.

Do you let your kids beat you up? What’s their favorite game that may leave a mark on you?

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to join the conversation and leave a comment. Also, if you’d like, you can follow Mama By Fire on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.

• Reply Jen @ The Halfway Homemaker

I am right there with you. I am having some tattoos removed (gosh, I made such bad decisions in college!) and today I was rolling around for my son’s gym class right on my poor bandaged skin. My back is already horrible from carrying my two monkeys, but I was almost in tears.

October 15, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Oh, ouch!! I can only imagine how painful that was. Yikes!

October 15, 2014 at 11:11 pm
  • Reply Lifeblooming

Haha – what is it with nursing babies and kick-boxing their mamas? My baby likes to slap me awake. Always a joy to wake up to that I tell you. (she’s got her own cot but for her morning feed before we wake up I bring her into our bed for a snuggle while she feeds and may occasionally doze off).

October 16, 2014 at 3:54 am
    • Reply Valerie

” My baby likes to slap me awake.” – ROFL!!

October 16, 2014 at 4:48 am

Haha! That’s a nice “good morning!” Ouch! My son only slaps when I’m awake so can usually block at least the second slap.

October 16, 2014 at 8:00 am
  • Reply Valerie

LOL, “willingness to be abused” is somehow left out of the job description, but it’s certainly part of the job!! πŸ˜‰
    If we have another baby one day, I am investing in some nursing necklaces because the clawing and hair pulling made me crazy! πŸ˜›

October 16, 2014 at 4:50 am

It was definitely left out! And I agree on the nursing necklaces. That will be the first thing I buy if I ever find out I’m pregnant again.

October 16, 2014 at 8:01 am
  • Reply Valerie

By the way, I have no idea why, but I had to click follow again on your blog even though I already was! I didn’t unfollow you?? This has happened with a few others blog s lately too…anyway, I’m still loyally following! πŸ˜‰

October 16, 2014 at 4:53 am
  • Reply Natasha

I think too, we are desperate to keep them close, because we know in a few years they might not even talk to us! Thanks for sharing and such cute kids!

October 16, 2014 at 6:15 am

Thank you! Exactly! I think I have a “daddy’s girl” in the making so once she becomes a preteen, in her world, I’ll be there to give her food and that is all.

October 16, 2014 at 8:04 am
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Love this Tarynn! I too get beat up on a daily basis, either by the nursling who is like snuggling a koala, or the other 2 who are full blown toddler boys who think I’m a trampoline. It’s lead to some bruises and scratches, but they’re marks of love and sacrifice and so, I’ll wear them with honor! It goes so fast so we have to enjoy each stage as it comes. ❀

October 16, 2014 at 8:06 am

Haha! “Snuggling a koala” so true! Yep! Absolutely marks of love! It still cracks me up when I have fresh scratches all over my face. And of course, I wouldn’t change a thing!

October 16, 2014 at 8:13 am
  • Reply Christine

My little one is a weirdo and licks me! I have to put the kabosh to this ASAP but we’ll just be sitting on the couch and all of a sudden she’s licking my arm! WTF?! LOL!

October 16, 2014 at 8:53 am

I actually LOL’d!! That is hilarious!!

October 16, 2014 at 8:54 am

This is random, but my son has never licked me. Until today. After I read your comment! So funny!

October 16, 2014 at 3:13 pm
  • Reply Tricia the Good Mama

I try not to let my son beat me up. He is 15 months. He used to bite me (while nursing), but he has only really scratched me pretty hard once and he really didn’t mean to do it. I hope I can prevent him from trying to “beat me up.” We’ll see!

October 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

The biting! I am so luckky on that front! He’s only bit me hard a few times-i know it could be way worse!

October 18, 2014 at 9:11 pm
  • Reply Amanda Evans

Beautifully said. I have a hair-puller and a twiddler…trying to remind myself everyday. Thanks for posting!

October 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thank you! A phase that likely won’t last forever. Thank goodness!

October 18, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Love this post!!! First of all, I have to say (with Peppa Pig blaring in my ear right now as my son bangs the table with my parents’ wooden salt and pepper shakers), I saw the pic with you and your daughter and got so excited that you got to “meet” Peppa, and then realized it is a creepy mascot costume, and that I’m officially a parent if I think what you did was exciting. I love everything you wrote from carrying your biggest baby with a back problem to your husband being used as a trampoline. I do different versions of everything you described because I know it’ll be gone before I know it. Both of my kids want a parent to lie die near them as they fall asleep. I look at this as time where time just stops and I get to soak them in and know it’ll be over before I know it!

October 20, 2014 at 8:40 am

Lol! Thank you, Alana!! My husband was SO excited for Zoe and I to meet Peppa. He was texting me every minute-ha! My daughter always wants us to lay with her too. It’s such a sweet time-after her toddler moments throughout the day, its nice to just lie with her in peace and appreciate her.

October 20, 2014 at 11:00 am
  • Reply workingmommagic

I can relate.. my daughter loves to be held. All the time! And my back def doesnt appreciate it! And my poor hubby takes some serious ‘wrestling’ abuse from our son and two nephews!

October 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Yes! The wrestling! That’s my husband all the way! I don’t get involved-ha! The little girl gets heavier every day, but oh, well!

October 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm
  • Reply Naomi

We used to do horsey rides (piggy-back rides with me singing the horse race song) every time we left somewhere until she was four. People gave me dirty looks for carrying someone that old (and she’s super tall, so they thought she was six), but I wasn’t going to fight a tantrum whenever we left someplace she wanted to stay.

She likes to snuggle with us on the couch, which consists of her laying across my lap moving constantly and getting elbows and knees shoved into any pressure points near them.

October 21, 2014 at 8:44 am

People can be so silly and judgemental! Your baby, you decide how you want to avoid tantrums (we all have our methods-haha!)
      Oh, man, those pressure points can be shocking and painful. But we still let them, don’t we? Lol!

October 21, 2014 at 9:26 am