Its Crunch Time

Posted in Holidays by

Christmas is next week and there’s still way too much to do. My list feels long and I feel the best way to put it in perspective, is to write it down.

In no particular order, here is my list of what needs to be done…in the next few days…

1. Finish getting presents for the kids. Make sure they have an equal amount. They aren’t old enough to notice yet, but it’s not a bad idea to get in the habit.

Finding time to shop this year is a whole different ball game. Last year it was no big deal to have both kids along. Pushing a cart full of toys for them while they’re sitting among them, they were none the wiser.

But the little lady knows better now. “Oh, mommy, what is that? What should I do with it?”

2. I still have to get presents for the names my husband and I drew.

3. Then there’s the stocking stuffers. Normally they’re my favorite part. But with a dwindling budget, they’ve become the pain in my ass.

4. Next up is the food. If I could, I would have gone grocery shopping for the upcoming mayhem awhile ago.

Alas, not all food lasts long enough. So, as prepared as I am (ahem), I still have to go to the grocery store way too close for comfort to the big day.

With the kids, we’ll get there when it opens, because even though mama and daddy are exhausted during all of this excitement, the kiddos are still the earliest of early birds.

5. We have to go to the mall for Santa pictures. The mall that is insanely, crazy-busy on a normal day. We’re going the day before Christmas Eve. Because that’s when we have time.

6. Once the shopping is all done, (Thank The Lord!), we have to wrap everything. I used to love wrapping presents, it was so fun and relaxing! It was the only thing I was OCD about too.

Not these days. This year people will wonder if I let the toddler get a hold of the scissors.

7. We have to clean the house and get it ready for guests. We can’t just tidy up. It’s ‘dust the blinds and mop the floors’ type clean.

All of this stuff coming up at once can make someone crazy. The stress has creeped up on me a time or two this past week.

Finally I realized I have to slow down and stop. Erase my long to-do list from my mind. And remember what the season is about.

Christmas shouldn’t be stressful.

I’m preparing to be with family and friends./home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2014/12/img_3764.jpg(Photo credit: Rex Rudee)

I get to relive the magic and wonder of Christmas through my kids./home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2014/12/img_3325.jpgI get to eat some delicious food (with a day off from counting calories.)

I will give gifts, and receive gifts. Nobody cares if my present to them is a photo of their gift that I ordered from Amazon last night.

We’re together. With people that matter in life. Family.

That, to me, is what Christmas is about. Being with family to celebrate each other.

What’s on your To-Do list?

December 19, 2014

• Reply melissajane01

Oh yes, I have way too much to do today. I bought my son a present yesterday at Target while he was sitting in the cart but luckily he forgot about it when we got home. Merry Christmas! Those are sweet pictures.

December 19, 2014 at 9:58 am

Thank you!! Good luck today! Merry Christmas!

December 19, 2014 at 10:34 am
  • Reply Kimberly

Yes! I used to love wrapping presents, now I dread it! Same thing on the stocking stuffers. Such a PITA! But truly it is about being with family, loving each other, and seeing the joy in my children’s eyes!

December 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

That’s what I’m so looking forward to this year, the look on my kids’ faces. Have a Merry Christmas!!

December 19, 2014 at 10:35 am
  • Reply threeboysandamom

I’ve got a similar list… I try hard to enjoy the season and not be stressed by the to dos of it all….but there certainly is a lot to do! Haha. It’s over before we know it though so I’m going to try and relish it all while I can!!

December 19, 2014 at 10:33 am

Exactly! It goes by so fast!! Have a Merry Christmas Rachael!!

December 19, 2014 at 10:36 am
  • Reply Terri's Thoughts

it is the most wonderful time of the year, it is also the most stressful time of the year

December 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

Absolutely! The stress makes it seem like it lasts forever, but the fun makes it fly by!

December 19, 2014 at 11:22 am
  • Reply workingmommagic

I’m with you.. I havent wrapped a thing.. I have to get a bunch of food this weekend for different dishes I am making.. and we still havent gone for santa pics! (I did get my stocking stuffers done.. but not for my hubby.. so I guess I’m not totally ‘done’ with that either!) time to get going! 😉

December 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Ha! I guess I’m not alone! I feel like the next week is so jam packed that it will fly by. Good luck! And Merry Christmas!!

December 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm
  • Reply Danielle

I haven’t even gotten any of our presents yet. I feel bad I just haven’t gotten in the Christmas mood this year. Not sure what is going on but I know I need to get it together.

December 20, 2014 at 6:22 am

Oh, bummer! I hope you’re able to have some fun with it once you start shopping. Good Luck!

December 20, 2014 at 7:23 am
  • Reply zofloya11

Oh I have too much on my todo list, but I am running out of time and have a nagging feeling I have forgotten something!! Oh dear!!

December 21, 2014 at 9:27 am

The days have suddenly become very short! Yikes!

December 21, 2014 at 9:39 am
  • Reply theflowerduet

Goodluck with the gifts, the mall is indeed pretty crowded this season!
    I love your tree!

I am inviting you to join my giveaway for a beautiful silver heart locket!
    Details on my blog 😉

Happy Holidays!
    M

December 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Thank you! Amd thank you for the invitation, I’ll have to check it out!

December 21, 2014 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

So much… can I just hide until it’s over and eat the stocking stuffer chocolate? I think “Santa” is going to have to gift me some wine early! Happy Christmas!

December 22, 2014 at 7:38 am

I ate a stocking stuffer chocolate bar the other day…haha! And wine has helped a bit… Thank you!! Merry Christmas!!

December 22, 2014 at 7:42 am

This is exactly it for me too. We just got Santa pictures done (two hours later), but everything else is the same on my to-do list. And #3 is exactly how I feel. I used to love it. Now it’s a matter of finding the cheapest possible fillers to stuff in there :/

December 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Found this comment in my spam file. No idea why. Anyhow, thank you for the comment! I hope things went smoothly for you and you were able to enjoy a nice relaxing Christmas!

December 29, 2014 at 12:12 am