Christmas is next week and there’s still way too much to do. My list feels long and I feel the best way to put it in perspective, is to write it down.
In no particular order, here is my list of what needs to be done…in the next few days…
1. Finish getting presents for the kids. Make sure they have an equal amount. They aren’t old enough to notice yet, but it’s not a bad idea to get in the habit.
Finding time to shop this year is a whole different ball game. Last year it was no big deal to have both kids along. Pushing a cart full of toys for them while they’re sitting among them, they were none the wiser.
But the little lady knows better now. “Oh, mommy, what is that? What should I do with it?”
2. I still have to get presents for the names my husband and I drew.
3. Then there’s the stocking stuffers. Normally they’re my favorite part. But with a dwindling budget, they’ve become the pain in my ass.
4. Next up is the food. If I could, I would have gone grocery shopping for the upcoming mayhem awhile ago.
Alas, not all food lasts long enough. So, as prepared as I am (ahem), I still have to go to the grocery store way too close for comfort to the big day.
With the kids, we’ll get there when it opens, because even though mama and daddy are exhausted during all of this excitement, the kiddos are still the earliest of early birds.
5. We have to go to the mall for Santa pictures. The mall that is insanely, crazy-busy on a normal day. We’re going the day before Christmas Eve. Because that’s when we have time.
6. Once the shopping is all done, (Thank The Lord!), we have to wrap everything. I used to love wrapping presents, it was so fun and relaxing! It was the only thing I was OCD about too.
Not these days. This year people will wonder if I let the toddler get a hold of the scissors.
7. We have to clean the house and get it ready for guests. We can’t just tidy up. It’s ‘dust the blinds and mop the floors’ type clean.
All of this stuff coming up at once can make someone crazy. The stress has creeped up on me a time or two this past week.
Finally I realized I have to slow down and stop. Erase my long to-do list from my mind. And remember what the season is about.
Christmas shouldn’t be stressful.
I will give gifts, and receive gifts. Nobody cares if my present to them is a photo of their gift that I ordered from Amazon last night.
We’re together. With people that matter in life. Family.
That, to me, is what Christmas is about. Being with family to celebrate each other.
What’s on your To-Do list?