Time to Play…at the Mall…

Christmas is over, the New Year is beginning. Not much to look forward to and we have a lot of days between now and spring.

Living in Seattle with the dreary rain almost daily, we need to get out and run off all our (the kids’) energy.

Sometimes our only option is the mall play area.

Aside from the disgusting germs covering every inch of the submarine slide, it’s my favorite place to go. And even though I douse the kids with antibacterial when we leave, I’m still paranoid for several days…kids are so gross.

Don’t get me wrong, I really do love it there! Mainly because my kids love it!

Once I do resolve to go, I’m all in. The kiddos always have a blast!

But. There is always that A-hole kid that is a bully.

They push and shove their way up to the slide. They pounce on other kids with no regard as to whether the kid is a baby or not./home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2014/12/img_2109.jpgAlso, these jerk-kids’ parents are nowhere to be found.

Have you ever had to tell someone else’s kid not to hit your kid? Not only is it awful you feel the need to do it in the first place, but you’re also looking over your shoulder waiting for a crazy parent to flip out on you for talking to their kid.

Don’t worry, the parent never shows up. They’re either off shopping (illegal, by the way, to leave your kid in the play area), or they’re too engrossed in twitter to notice their kid is being the A-Hole.

The other day, it was MY kid being the jerk. My husband was there and he saw the whole thing.

This adorable little blonde boy went up to my girl and said “Hi!” She ignored him.

She fell down. He ran up to her to ask her if she was okay. She ignored him.

He was trying to play on the slide with her. She slowly, but steadily, pushed him off.

I wasn’t there, but knowing my girl, she had the slightest hint of a smirk on her face.

Once she got home, she told me all about it.

She said, “I was only nice to R, I wasn’t nice to the other kids.”/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2014/12/img_2176.jpgI don’t think what she did was too terrible, (nobody got hurt), but I certainly don’t want her to do that again.

Where do we go from here so this new development doesn’t escalate?

We told her if she can’t be nice to the other kids, then we won’t be able to play at the mall anymore./home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2014/12/img_4055.jpg(This is her “being nice” to her brother, or rather, hanging onto him so he can’t get out of the boat…)

I guess we just have to wait until next time to see how it goes.

We will not be the parents with the punk kid that plows their way through the play area knocking over everyone in their wake.

Have you ever had to deal with the bully kid at the mall? What would you do if it was your little one?

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to join the conversation and leave a comment. Also, if you’d like, you can follow Mama By Fire on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.

December 29, 2014

• Reply Christa

That’s the weirdest feeling when suddenly it’s your little one who is the (temporary) bully. I know for me it helped me stay less stressed when I saw other kids being pushy. Maybe their parents were just too mortified to even move.

December 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Good point! The parents are too embarrassed! Haha! Temporary, I like that! I’m going to hang onto that-thanks!

December 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm
  • Reply workingmommagic

Hudson is super social, he will go up to anyone (even kids that are much older) so I feel like he often gets himself into situations where he gets bullied or pushed around. Usually I try to stand back and wait it out, since he is a bit older to see how he handles it. But I have DEF had to jump in… more than once! And you totally called it.. the parents are NEVER around!

December 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

That’s cool he’s so social though! I have a feeling my son will be too. Mu daughter, not so much…

December 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

We have a similar play place and there are always kids that are way too old (and way too big) to be playing there. Drives me nuts!

December 30, 2014 at 11:30 am

Yes! The older bigger kids are way too rough with the little ones!

December 30, 2014 at 3:53 pm
  • Reply Ai

We don’t frequent the mall play area anymore since my older kids are too big. But my pet peeves when we did go, were those bully kids and unattentive parents. Oh how I wanted to point out to the parents that there is a height maximum in those play areas, but I’m not usually one to create a scene.

December 30, 2014 at 11:33 am

Yes, the height requirement! There are always kids that are way too big, makes me crazy!

December 30, 2014 at 3:52 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Man this is a struggle… I’ve only done the mall a few times and it was stressful haha. I’m praying my boys are never the bullies but there have been a few playground incidents where they were bullied. A Kid came and dumped water on Ethans head one time and Ii thought my head was gonna pop off. Kids can really be awful…especially unsupervised ones haha. But, when it’s your own kid, that’s not fun either. Luckily your daughter was just quiet…no harm done. Glad she was sweet to her brother though ☺ playgrounds can be rough lol….for everyone!

December 30, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Poor Ethan! I bet mama bear came out! I would have been so mad!!

December 30, 2014 at 3:54 pm
      • Reply threeboysandamom

Yeah..it was awful. I had been doing sonething with luke and didnt see it happen til i heard him crying and saw him standing there wet…then through his sad little tears he told me what happened. Oh, my mama bear came out for sure….but it was an awkward situation. No parents to be seen… ☺

December 30, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Crazy! The parents are never around!

December 31, 2014 at 1:46 am
  • Reply melissajane01

I haven’t been to the mall play area in awhile. I used to go a lot more but yeah, the unsupervised children running around always bugged me. I haven’t encountered too many bullies there. I guess I’m lucky. I hate it when junior high aged kids play in little kids areas. I make sure to let them know they need to be more ‘careful’ when they knock into a little kid.

December 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

The big kids make me crazy! We’ve been lucky with them so far. None of them have run into my kids. But them being there makes me nuts!

December 31, 2014 at 1:45 am
  • Reply pranitasohony

Enjoyed reading your post! Great work!

December 31, 2014 at 4:15 am
  • Reply pinkbekah

I have one timid kid who does not like to play with others and one who wants to play with other kids so bad he sometimes turns into a bully doing it! And it is stressful to be the parent of a bully! Thankfully he means well ans so far other parents have been able to see that but he is a tank and if/when he ever decides to simply be mean its not gonna be pretty.

December 31, 2014 at 6:17 am

At least the parents can see that he means well. When my son is older, he may be the same way. He’s really friendly and outgoing and he’s big for his age.

December 31, 2014 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Naomi

I’ve been mostly luck in our mall playground. The few times teenagers were in there, mall security saw it and kicked them out. There were several times that kids who were too big were in there, and I just left if they were being too rowdy. My kiddo is super tall, so at four years old, we can’t go to the indoor places any more! I don’t have to worry about her being the bully.

December 31, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I’ve had to leave too. So annoying!!

December 31, 2014 at 2:51 pm