My Mimic

Posted in Toddler by

“Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.” -Charles Caleb Colton

Babies love to copy us. If you blow raspberries at a four month old long enough, chances are, they’ll try their best to do it back.

You make faces in hopes for a mirrored expression.

You repeat “mama” fifty times per hour.

You’re with them more than anybody else, why shouldn’t your name be their first word?

These little experiences never get old. You curse yourself for not having your phone at the ready every second of the day to get every adorable moment they copy you on film.

Because, God forbid, your friends on Facebook miss the first time baby blew a spit bubble while attempting a raspberry. (Don’t worry, I got that one posted.)

When your darling little offspring get a bit older, however, things tend to change.

They copy you, alright.

They use the same tone, the same words, and the same irritated face expressions.

Because once they hit two, nothing gets by them.

I didn’t realize how condescending I was until my daughter started using my exact phrases. And tone. And “look.”/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2015/01/img_1719.jpgIt’s irritating not only because she’s so patronizing, but also because it’s a reminder that I need to reevaluate how I act.

So. Here’s to seeing ourself how others see us, and to being given the opportunity to change accordingly.

I just hope the kid catches on./home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/84d/69271887/files/2015/01/img_2865.jpgHow about you, do you have a little mimic?

• Reply workingmommagic

You know I do.. my daughter is obsessed.. and my son talks just like me as well. I learned a LOT hearing him repeat some of the things I say and the manner in which I say them. Gotta love kids.. 😉

January 7, 2015 at 10:07 am

Haha! Yes, we learn so much about ourselves, don’t we?

January 7, 2015 at 10:25 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith.com

This does start out cute, doesn’t it?! It has helped me see areas where we need to watch ourselves. Now, at six, we talk a lot about using encouraging, positive words. We try at least!

January 7, 2015 at 10:24 am

Yes! We’re working on that too…now.

January 7, 2015 at 11:09 am
  • Reply Jennifer Corter

My son has recently taken to copying a lot of what my husband and I say, and we too have decided to start taking a step back and looking at how we act and what we say. The last thing we need is a super-sarcastic four year-old, lol.

January 7, 2015 at 10:24 am

Exactly! Thats our problem too. Sarcasm. Lol!

January 7, 2015 at 11:09 am
  • Reply Samantha

This is soo true! Sometimes when I see an attitude or words I use that I don’t care for- I see myself-ugh!!

January 7, 2015 at 10:50 am

Yes! Sometimes I just hang my head in shame. Haha!

January 7, 2015 at 11:12 am
  • Reply Jess

My almost-three-year-old is a little mimic as well. Sometimes she says that are off-putting and I realized she is simply repeating something we said earlier. Good reminder to be mindful about our words and facial expressions.

January 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Absolutely great reminders! One of my biggest is the face expressions. I am the worst!

January 7, 2015 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply pennypinchingpeach

Oh, my kiddos definitely mimic me, especially my oldest (five year old girl). I hear my parenting style on a daily as she relates to her brother. Sometimes it makes me realize things I didn’t even notice I was doing so right. Others…wellllll….let’s just say I didn’t know I sounded like such an impatient witch sometimes when they’re driving me out of my pea picking mind and I don’t feel well! LOL

January 7, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Haha! I forgot to mention that! My daughter tries to discipline my son! So funny sometimes….sometimes…

January 7, 2015 at 12:52 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

I literally just thought about this 15 mins ago because after I picked up my boys from the babysitter, Luke was screaming his head off…not crying, screaming, and eventually I sorta yelled, “Luke!!!!! That’s enough!!!” and then just in the same tone and volume, Ethan and Connor did it too…. Yikes! That’s obviously not the first time, and it won’t be the last, but whoa, it certainly makes you think twice about your tone and choice of words….

January 7, 2015 at 4:57 pm

This made me laugh out loud! It definitely makes you think. Lol!

January 7, 2015 at 5:11 pm
  • Reply Mommy A to Z

I agree…hearing your words repeated can be surprising! I had no idea I said certain things until my daughter started saying them all the time. I definitely need to be more careful!

January 7, 2015 at 6:44 pm

It all happened so fast! One minute I didn’t have to worry about it, then suddenly, yikes!

January 7, 2015 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply maggiemaysgifts

Yes, it is scary to hear our phrases and tones! sometimes, it’s funny….but mostly scary 🙂

January 7, 2015 at 8:23 pm