Weekly Meal Plan

Something I’ve been trying to do consistently is have a weekly meal plan.

IMG_0283

It was almost a year ago when I was slapped in the face by the reality of our grocery bill. The average of three months was $700. For GROCERIES.

That was quite the reality check! I was shocked and embarrassed…and horrified!

My husband and I decided to cut our monthly grocery bill almost in half. We put ourselves on a $400 budget.

That gives us $100 per week to spend on food.

Luckily for us, if I have a list, and we stick to that list, our bill is usually on our mark.

Enter meal planning.

I do my best, but I’m not always consistent.

I just started actively meal planning again with the new year.

What I discovered this week is having the meals written down and buying the ingredients for everything is great.

But when the recipes I planned to use were scattered across my many Pinterest boards, it was really annoying having to search for them. I needed to figure something out.

So I have put together a “Weekly Meal Plan” board.

chicken fajitas from pinterest edit

Each day of the week will be assigned its own protein which makes it even simpler for me (ie Monday is chicken, Tuesday is fish, etc). I will only have five main dishes to leave two days of the week open for leftovers.

Usually for my sides I have the standard rice, potatoes, or pasta. Then for the veggies I have steamed or sautรฉed something or other. But if I find a fantastic side that will go perfectly with the main dish, it will go on the board!

If you’ve ever done any sort of meal planning, you know things can sometimes change at the store. You find a fantastic sale on shrimp. Great! Instead of salmon this week, I’ll alter the recipe and make it with shrimp.

I am confident that once I get the hang of this whole planning thing, it will be fun!

I love Pinterest and I’m on it all the time. I want to actually MAKE the delicious looking recipes that I pin.

And I really want to have next weeks recipes all in one place!!

Feel free to follow my weekly meal plan board. Or if you’d like, you can just follow me on Pinterest.

Do you plan your meals every week? Do you have any tips you’d like to share?

• Reply Jess

I need to get myself organized this year and start with meal planning. I feel like it makes things so much easier when you know what dinner is going to be through the week! Good idea on the Pinterest board!

January 21, 2015 at 10:52 am

It definitely makes things easier! I especially love that it eliminates the 4:30 dread of “what’s for dinner tonight?”.

January 21, 2015 at 11:07 am
  • Reply triciathegoodmama

I’m sure I don’t even want to look at my grocery bill. AH! I really need to give myself a better budget and plan out our meals in advance. I’ve been getting better, but I still have a lot more to go. Chicken Fajitas sound good!

January 21, 2015 at 11:20 am

I didn’t want to add it up when I did. It was awful! Glad I did it though, it was the kick in the butt I needed!

January 21, 2015 at 11:32 am
  • Reply Anna (Four Kids One Mom Travel London)

Once you start meal planning, you’ll never look back! I’ve been planning a week’s worth of dinners in advance for about six months, and at the beginning of January started planning everything – breakfasts and packed lunches for school, too. Helps the wallet, saves me trips to the grocery store (where I always end up buying extra things I don’t need!), and gives me peace of mind that I won’t be stuck at 5:00 trying to throw dinner together! Keep us posted on how it goes ๐Ÿ™‚

January 21, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I need to plan for breakfasts and lunches too! It will definitely save us even more! The peace of mind definitely makes the effort worth it!

January 31, 2015 at 9:26 pm
  • Reply Theresa (Capri + 3)

Wow! Your husband’s plan to cut your grocery bill in half is ambitious and you are doing an amazing job embracing it. I am wondering if you shop at warehouse stores like Costco to get discounts in bulk? You are very organized.

January 21, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Thanks! We shop at Costco occasionally, but I’ve found that not everything there is a good deal. I still love shopping there though! Thanks!

January 21, 2015 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Good idea! I need to start meal planning ๐Ÿ™‚ or cooking for that matter. I dislike cooking so much, but love to eat. It’s a real problem ๐Ÿ™‚

January 22, 2015 at 12:10 am

Thanks! Haha-oh, bummer! Its not easy making myself cook everyday, and I like to cook.

January 22, 2015 at 12:16 am
  • Reply Valerie

Sounds like you’re doing awesome! I tend to choose a theme rather than a protein. For example, I’ll have a soup/chili night, some sort of pizza night, Mexican something or other, Chinese yumminess, slow cooker awesomeness, and so on. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I do not use them or order them the same each week, but I do like using themes. ๐Ÿ˜›

Way to go on your frugal changes, btw! I find I save the most by matching store sales & coupons to my meal planning. Takes more time, for sure, but when I do it (which isn’t always), it certainly saves money!

January 22, 2015 at 5:40 am

I try to do coupons, but it can be so tesious! I know there’s a good way to do it, I just have to figure it out.

I love the themes idea! I’ve played around with doing that too.

January 22, 2015 at 8:05 am
  • Reply cdaggett08

I have recently started to plan my meals. This goes well with my weight loss goals also. As my husband isn’t home all the time I had a bad habit of just eating freezer meals. Now with meal planning I actually want to cook, and I have found that if I go with a plan and a list to the store I have everything I need, no more trips to the store at 430 because I forgot eggs or something else I need. This is something I am trying with the new year also!

January 23, 2015 at 9:19 am

Awesome! It makes me want to cook also. And I actually like doing the shopping when I have a list!

January 23, 2015 at 12:57 pm