Game Day Snacks with a Healthy Twist

Posted in Holidays by

I can’t believe it! The Seahawks are going to the Big Game for the second year in a row!

My husband has been a die hard Hawks fan since he was three.

Seahawks beanie father and daughter
I’ve been a fan since we started dating back in ’02.

Seahawks beanies mother and son

I’m lucky because he’s a pretty patient guy, so he was able to take all of my annoying football questions in stride. He still does.

The Big Game is a great excuse to have a party with awesome, delicious food. Almost every home in the US is on board with that.

Your standard junk food comes to mind. You know, the stuff that leaves you feeling like crap once your guests have left.

While we’ll have the chips and dip, I thought I would make some of the standards with a healthy twist.A few of the usual football party snacks, but with a healthy twist.

Some things I plan on serving on game day:

1. Veggie Tray

A plate full of veggies is healthy in theory. But then you add the giant bowl of ranch in the center, the healthy factor starts to take a nose dive.

My veggie tray will have carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and, my all-time favorite, jicama.

As far back as I can remember, my mom has been making Uncle Dan’s ranch.

uncle dans seasoning

If you follow the directions on the packet, you would mix mayonnaise and sour cream.

To reduce the calorie intake, use plain yogurt instead of sour cream. If you want to reduce even more, use lite mayo.

This dip is absolutely delicious! It’s even better if you mix the day before so the flavors can meld together.

2. Tacos!!

I’m going to make my taco meat with veggies (more veggies!!)

carrots green peppers onions ground beef

Adding a ton of veggies to the mix will help a lot with the “healthier” factor, but you could also make it with ground turkey instead of ground beef.

3. Dessert.

12th man cupcakes.

One option is to make pumpkin cupcakes.

Another delicious choice, if you prefer to go the gluten free route, these Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins are perfect.These gluten free muffins are easy and super delicious!

Or, I’m going to make my new favorite, chocolate banana bread cupcakes.

I will frost a “12” in blue frosting. For those of you that don’t know, the “12” represents all Seahawks fans.

Game Day Snacks with a healthy twist

And of course my lovely lady gets to be in charge of the sprinkles.

cupcake with sprinkles

What do you plan on having on game day? Do you tend to go all out junk, or try to make things healthier?

Go Seahawks!!!

So awesome!!! Our families look very similar these days. My son has my hubby’s Seahawks’ tuque on daily! Lol.
    I just realized I wrote that in “Canadian” tuque is a French adopted word for wool hat… Or beenie I think in “American”. His is turning into the nerdiest comment I’ve ever left you. Sheesh.
    #GoHawks

January 26, 2015 at 9:49 am

This*

January 26, 2015 at 9:49 am

Hahaha! I love it! You taught me something new! I love it when kiddos are wearing them!! So adorable! Go Hawks!!

January 26, 2015 at 9:51 am
  • Reply triciathegoodmama

Tacos are our favorite! They are a great way to add in plenty of veggies. I think we’ll have to make them for the super bowl too. Too bad our team didn’t even make the playoffs!

January 26, 2015 at 10:55 am

They are! I love it! Your team is the Eagles? Is that right?

January 26, 2015 at 11:59 am
  • Reply melissajane01

I’m embarrassingly out of the football loop this year. I love lots of finger foods. Those cupcakes are a great idea.

January 26, 2015 at 10:57 am

Haha-thanks! Finger foods are great to have. I couldn’t be out of the loop of I tried. Luckily for me (and my husband), I’ve grown to love football.

January 26, 2015 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply workingmommagic

Yum.. no matter how healthy I eat on super bowl sunday it still doesnt make up for all the beer i drink! ha!

January 26, 2015 at 11:16 am

LOL!! That’s a very good point! Something I didn’t even consider. Haha!

January 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm
  • Reply maggiemaysgifts

Great tips! Love your helper’s sprinkle job!! ha ha…I’m sharing a healthy football snack post this Thurs…faux chicken wings made with cauliflower. I made them today and they are delish. Have you ever had them?

January 26, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Thanks! Haha-she had fun! I’ve heard of them, but haven’t tried them yet. We love cauliflower here! Looking forward to your recipe!

January 26, 2015 at 6:57 pm
      • Reply maggiemaysgifts

My daughter is obsessed with sprinkles so I get it 🙂 I think you’ll like like the cauliflower. My husband even likes them and he’s a guy! ha ha

January 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Ha! Nice! And yes, its a serious obsession!

January 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

These are great ideas! I think the SuperBowl will be playing at about 6 am our time, so I may not see it this year. We did wake up early to watch the Hawks win last year though. 🙂 Admittedly I am a 49ers fan, but I will always pull for a west coast team if my team can’t be in the big game, so ‘Go Seahawks!’. 🙂

January 26, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Thank you! Oh, man! So early! I hope this year’s game is better than last year’s.

January 27, 2015 at 12:09 am
  • Reply Southernpixie (@ohsooorandom)

I am not a fan of either team in the Superbowl this year, so I am going to plan on having a movie night instead. But I can still use some of these ideas for said movie night LOL

January 28, 2015 at 9:18 am

Wow, skipping it altogether, huh? I hope you enjoy your movie night!!

January 28, 2015 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Katie Serbinski

Serving up tacos with my family this Sunday… agreed the cupcakes are a great idea! A perfect finger food and serving size for a sweet treat!

January 28, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Thanks! Finger foods are the best for football! 🙂

January 28, 2015 at 6:01 pm
  • Reply Sue Parke

So funny, we’re Pat’s fans in my neck of the woods. Although, I’m not much of a football lover, but I do love getting together for the big games. I love tacos! We did those for the last game! My husband wants to do chicken wings for this one. We shall see! Great idea on the cup cakes – I think I may have to make some 🙂 Best of luck to your team!

January 29, 2015 at 8:13 am

Haha! My husband is obsessed with making chicken wings. He’s working on perfecting them so he’ll probably make some of them on Sunday too. The cupcakes are so good-I hope you like them! Thank you!!

January 29, 2015 at 8:28 am
  • Reply Mama By Fire - Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers - Mama By Fire

[…] don’t know about you, but I love hosting football parties. The food, the friends, the […]

April 13, 2017 at 10:01 pm
  • Reply Mama By Fire - Dorito Chili Casserole - Mama By Fire

[…] love hosting football parties so much, and it’s even better when the food is simple and […]

June 20, 2017 at 5:15 pm