The Ever Changing Bedtime Routine

It’s incredible to watch my kids learn and adapt to their surroundings.

My daughter in particular is a master manipulator.

Ever changing bedtime master manipulator

She even gets daddy wrapped around her finger…sometimes.

That said, he thinks I’m a big-time sucker at bedtime.

She and I do our nightly routine with her books. After I read three, I leave for a bit so she can read alone.

I wait fifteen minutes or so, then I go back to sing a few songs.

After the songs, I leave for the rest of the night.

The last song I sing is my favorite. It’s ‘Castle on a Cloud’ from Les Miserables.

The best part is the third verse, it’s so sweet-

There is a lady all in white,
Holds me and sings a lullaby,
She’s nice to see and she’s soft to touch,
She says, “Cosette, I love you very much!”

And of course, I replace the name with my little lady’s name and I give her a kiss on the cheek.

At least I used to.

Lately she has been too cool for me-not for the song, but too cool for a kiss from mom. So instead, I just give her a tighter hug.

ever changing bedtime routine

Last night I did the usual. Sang with the tighter hug, had a few extra cuddles afterwards, then I got up to go meet with daddy for some TV time.

My girl said, “Mommy, you sang the Castle song wrong! You didn’t kiss me!”

Someone knows how to turn this stone cold mama to mush.

I was so caught off guard and overwhelmed with ‘she loves my singing’ emotions that I sang the whole song over so I could include the peck on the cheek.

In retrospect, I’m not sure if I should be proud or annoyed.

I’m going to go the positive route with this one and appreciate my smart girl who’s always inventing new, ingenious ways to prolong bedtime.

I will also appreciate the kiss on the cheek being thrown back into the routine.

The Ever Changing Bedtime Routine sleeping toddler

What songs do you like to sing to your little ones? Do they try to stall at bedtime? Do they come up with clever ways to do it?

• Reply Rebekah

My youngest is definitely a manipulator. A smart one. He just recently potty trained and has been dry through the night, so two weeks ago we started putting him in undies for bed. Now he is constantly having to go potty. At least he says hr does, sometimes he does, the majority of the time he doesn’t, but I don’t want to not let him go if he has to go! Toddlers!

February 3, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Oh, yeah! He is a smart one! Brilliant, really. Haha!! Definitely don’t want to risk not letting him go!

February 3, 2015 at 5:47 pm
  • Reply maggiemaysgifts

ooo they will get you with the kisses or hugs! My daughter said she was hungry once and got to come downstairs. She set a world record for the slowest way to eat an apple. Since then she will hold her belly at night and say “i’m so hungry . I need an apple” (when she just ate a huge dinner) My husband always wants to cave but I stand firm. I’m on to her.

February 3, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Yes they do! That is so funny! I’m the one that would want to cave and my husband would keep me in check!

February 3, 2015 at 8:26 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Z does the same thing to me. 🙂 But she won’t let me sing 🙁 I am an ok singer… i think?

February 4, 2015 at 6:49 am

During bedtime is the only time she’ll let me sing.

February 4, 2015 at 10:29 am
  • Reply workingmommagic

Right now my bedtime routine is a total cluster. My daughter is a crazy women and it is messing up our whole thing… ugh

February 4, 2015 at 10:20 am

Yikes! I wonder what age it is when the kids will be able to get themselves ready for bed. One day…

February 4, 2015 at 10:33 am
  • Reply melissajane01

That is too sweet about her wanting her goodnight kiss. My kids are master stallers. They are always trying to eat something after bath time so we have started telling them that the kitchen is closed. I give them a warning after dinner if they want something else that now is the time to eat.

February 4, 2015 at 11:30 am

It is sweet! It’s also very out of character for her to want a kiss which is why I know it’s a stalling tactic. No matter-I’ll take it! I bet I’ll have to say the kitchen is closed one day soon too-thanks for the idea!

February 4, 2015 at 12:21 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

So sweet She wanted a kiss…although also very sneaky and manipulative, as all kids can be. My boys have started this… They need to give me a hug, kiss, they’re thirsty, need to pee, want to brush their teeth again, are scared of a monster, wanna snuggle me for a few minutes, want to read another book, can’t see, want the light on, etc! Its cute sometimes but I usually shit it down, unless it’s for hugs and kisses, then I give in, but just once!

February 4, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Haha-sounds about right! That is so sweet about Ethan! How adorable!!

February 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply threeboysandamom

Omg horrible typo…. Haha!!!! I’m so sorry…. I meant shUt it down***

February 4, 2015 at 1:04 pm
  • Reply Cecilia

No question, it is amazing how the kids learn by watching, watching really everything we do. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

February 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Yes, crazy! Thank you for stopping by!

February 4, 2015 at 3:51 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

We have had about 10 different bedtime routines over the years of my son. As he gets older he has become so much more independent getting ready alone etc. He wont let me sing to him anymore, unless he’s sick. His baby sister still doesn’t have the option to turn off this mommies (not the voice worthy) singing.

February 5, 2015 at 9:27 am

Oh, wow! Yep, I feel like our routine changes every six months. I’ll be sad when my daughter doesn’t want me to sing anymore. At that point, my youngest will be in for it!

February 5, 2015 at 9:49 am
  • Reply Laura

She is so smart and sweet! Love your routine – you are such a wonderful Mama <3. Recently we have been having it with "Hickory Dickory Dock".

February 5, 2015 at 9:59 am

Thank you!! That’s a good song-I should try it!

February 5, 2015 at 10:03 am
  • Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life

This is such a beautiful post! My daughter IS a big bedtime staller–and she’s a stickler for the routine. I sing the same lullaby every night and if I mess it up at all, she wants me to start over from the top! 🙂

February 5, 2015 at 10:00 am

Thank you! Haha-sounds just like my girl! Toddlers are so funny!

February 5, 2015 at 10:03 am
  • Reply Megan

What a pretty and smart little girl you have! Bedtime is such struggle.

February 5, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thank you! Yes, it certainly can be!

February 5, 2015 at 11:33 am
  • Reply 10 Phenomenal Mommy Bloggers | Storyteller's Soul

[…]  Mama By Fire –  From bedtime routine to gardening with a toddler, this fellow Washingtonian mama has got you […]

February 27, 2015 at 3:30 pm