Easy DIY Garden Markers

Posted in Gardening by

Thanks to my dad and husband, my dream of having a garden this year has become a reality!ย

My dad brought over the materials for a raised garden bed and showed us how to put it together.
My husband and I don’t build things together often, so this was a lot of fun.
Easy garden markers T & B building a raised garden bed
We did the “heavy lifting” during the little lady’s nap.
Once she woke up, she had a beautiful garden bed to plant whatever she wanted. (Or, rather, the plants we picked out at the hardware store.)
Easy garden markers finished raised garden bed
She was more interested in digging in the dirt than putting things in it.
Easy garden markers toddler digging in the dirt
But she loved carefully placing our homemade garden markers in the proper place.
Easy garden markers toddler placing garden markers
They were really easy to make and a lot of fun!
We started off by going on a nature walk in our backyard in search of the perfect rocks.
Easy garden markers finding rocks
We washed and dried them. Then painted them with acrylic paint. I used a sharpie to write on the rocks after the paint was dry. Finally, using a paint brush, or sponge, we applied a few layers of Mod Podge to seal it all in (and protect from the rain.)
Easy garden markers painted rocks
They turned out so cute! And now we’ll know exactly what we’re growing!These DIY Garden Markers are so much fun to make with the kiddos! And they're so simple!
Now I just hope we don’t have a late frost and we’ll be good!
What are you growing this year? Do you use garden markers?
Easy garden markers broccoli garden marker with broccoli

• Reply TwoPlusCute

Nice! Lucky you, planting already. We use a lot in the local community gardens (along with friends) because I can’t decide where to put the raised beds on our yard.
    Markers was something desperately needed last year, I may manage to persuade my husband to add some come summer.

March 2, 2015 at 9:35 am

I’ve always wanted to be part of a community garden too-seems like it would be fun! I have to have markers, otherwise I would have no clue what was in there.

March 2, 2015 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Melissa (Wading Through Motherhood)

We planted carrots in our yard but I really need some sort of markers. I’d like to plant tomatoes and squash too. Those rocks are a really great idea.

March 2, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thanks! I’m planning on growing tomatoes as well, but I’ll have them in a pot. So excited!

March 2, 2015 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply maggiemaysgifts

jealous! I’d love a garden. I have thrown seeds out into the yard to see what happens..not smart. Have you seen how watermelons grow!? They took over the yard and not one was edible ๐Ÿ™‚ You appear to be a little more organized! ha Good luck! p.s. those painted rock markers are adorable.

March 2, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thank you! No, I’ve never seen watermelons grow! I can only imagine!

March 2, 2015 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply andthreetogo

Great idea for the garden makers! So cute! And anything that the toddlers can be involved in… all the better.
    I am not growing a garden this year although Z has asked if we can grow some watermelon, so I may try to do that although I have a feeling the heat and humidity will kill it. Maybe I will try growing it indoors. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 3, 2015 at 1:47 am

Thank you-it was a lot of fun! If you haven’t grown watermelons before, maybe check out maggiemaysgifts comments above-apparently they take over…If you do grow them, let me know how it goes!!

March 3, 2015 at 9:21 am
  • Reply Makeba G. (@MELISASource)

Great idea!! I’m planting a garden this spring and I’m going to try this out!

March 3, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thanks! The toddler had a lot of fun and they turned out pretty cute!

March 3, 2015 at 10:09 am
  • Reply mrsmuffintop

I wish I had seen this a few months ago! we got RID of our garden beds and put in a swing set. I have the opposite of green thumb!

March 3, 2015 at 10:39 am

Lol! This is my first time…who knows, maybe next year we’ll be replacing it with a swing set too…

March 3, 2015 at 10:48 am
  • Reply triciathegoodmama

Oh that’s so awesome! I really want to try gardening (now that I have a yard). I love your painted rocks too.

March 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thank you! That would be awesome! I’m really excited for ours, but I have no idea what I’m doing!

March 3, 2015 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply Mommy A to Z

Gardens are so great for kids! Your daughter is going to have so much fun! I can’t think about gardening yet… it’s still snowing here!

March 3, 2015 at 12:52 pm

She is loving it already!! I can’t believe there’s so much snow over there this year-insane!

March 3, 2015 at 1:02 pm
  • Reply Marie Novak

I love this idea. We are getting ready to start are seeds indoors. I can hardly wait to get out in the garden this spring. Snow please melt soon!!!

March 3, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Thanks! Yes, I was pretty eager-starting my seeds inside mid-February! But our weather has been pretty nice. Of course, after planting the garden, I keep noticing how cold it is still…oops!

March 3, 2015 at 1:16 pm
  • Reply The Trophy WifeStyle

How cute!!! Now that we actually have a house and not an apt… Gardening is something I definitely wanna do this summer!

March 4, 2015 at 7:56 am

Thanks! Oh, yay! That’s exciting!

March 4, 2015 at 8:27 am
  • Reply angelaweight

These are so so cute! I love the idea.

March 4, 2015 at 9:21 am
  • Reply Theresa

Those are so cute! Our kids would love to make some of those. We will have to try it out.

March 4, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thank you-glad you like them! They were a lot of fun!

March 4, 2015 at 10:22 am
  • Reply Savannah

This is soo cute – and congratulations on starting your garden! Unfortunately, that was something I wasn’t able to get around to this year, but I will definitely be keeping this in mind for next spring! Thanks for sharing <3

April 18, 2017 at 5:14 pm