Six Reasons My Daughter is a Threenager

Posted in Toddler by

We got off light with our daughter last year. She was two, and for the most part, always nice to be around. She had her moments, of course, but mostly I kept wondering what the whole “terrible twos” were all about.

Don’t worry, my son has been explaining it to me thoroughly.

Then something happened. My sweet, adorable little lady developed an attitude.

Not an “Oh, cute! She has such a feisty little personality!!” But an “Oh, good Lord! Did she just burn a hole in my face with the look she gave me?”

It has been an adjustment for my husband and me learning how to deal with this kid. I haven’t decided which is more fun, the “Terrible Twos,” or the “Threenager.”six reasons my daughter is 3 going on 13 toddler talking back

Here are six ways my daughter is 3 going on 13:

1. She talks back with a snotty tone, (Is there any other way?)

I ask her to do or stop doing something and she questions every aspect of my request. She argues, and does her best to justify why it was ok for her to knock over her younger brother. Because she needed the marker he was holding, obviously.

She interrupts me while I explain myself too, which is especially awesome.

2. She Glares

After asking her to stop doing something for the fifth time the other day, she finally stopped and just glared at me. She stared so hard, it was as if she was challenging me to a staring contest.

Not being one to back down, I accepted. And won. Ha! Take that you little punk!

3. Her emotions!!!

She is always emotional! If we firmly ask her to stop doing something, she immediately crumbles into a puddle of tears.

“You yelled at me!” No, we didn’t. We very rarely yell. We’re trying to teach her the difference between volume and tone so she at least knows we’re not yelling.

After having a crying fit, she’s as sweet as can be.

Six reasons my daughter is 3 going on 13 smiley girl

That’s when we know she wants something…

4. She’s boy crazy

We went on a nature walk with some friends the other day. A little boy whom she had never met went with us. She was smitten. I think he had her at, “Do you want a cookie?”

After running around and playing with him for a bit, she tried to kiss him.

Yep. She’s that kid. I have officially had my first “kissing talk” with my daughter. Already. I was unprepared.

5. Refuses to do chores

It’s like pulling teeth getting her to put toys away. If I bribe her, sure, she’ll do it, but even then she drags her feet and complains the whole time.

6. I threaten to take her phone

She doesn’t have her own phone at 3, of course. But like many kids her age, she is well versed in iPhone navigation which includes YouTube. So, if she’s having a fit or isn’t listening, I tell her she doesn’t get my phone for the rest of the day.

snotty threenager

It gets exhausting living on this emotional roller coaster. But I suppose we can look on the bright side, she’s preparing us for when she actually does become a crazy teenager.

And let me tell you, I’m terrified.

What about you? Are you living with a “Threenager”? Or maybe even and actual teenager?…

• Reply Sue Parke

Omg! She glares haha?! I totally fear all of this! But I have to say all of my friends with girls this age say very similar things! I love that you take “her” phone away. My daughter, at a whopping 12 months has her own phone, sort of. I am so sick of her stealing mine so I pulled out an old one I don’t use anymore. But she knows it doesn’t work haha! And she is just starting to love youtube! I’ll be where you are in no time LOL

March 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm

She absolutely glares! I just wish Ai had a picture! We used to give her old phones too, but they didn’t last. Because like your girl, she knew they didn’t work. Good luck! It’s an interesting rise to say the least! Lol!

March 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm
  • Reply Rachael Boley

Oh my goodness this was fabulous!!! So funny! I too have w o wondered what the big deal about 2 is because for the most part, My guys are wonderful and easy! My youngest on the other hand…. 16 months and I’m scared for my life haha! He SOO sweet but here lately, he’s started hitting thibgs, having staring contests, and just defying everything. He’s unbelievably strong and if he doesn’t learn who’s boss, which he is I believe, I’m in for major trouble! I don’t have girls but man, my boys have had some attitudes for sure… They get that from me!

March 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Uh oh!! Sounds like he’s gonna be running the show soon! Just like my girl…it’s nice that there are still glimpses of their sweetness so we know all hope isn’t lost…lol!

March 13, 2015 at 3:31 pm
      • Reply Rachael Boley

Exactly… If not for those sweet breakthroughs, one of us might not make it sometimes hahaha.

March 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm
  • Reply lisa vanwilliams

In the same boat here with a 4 year old DIVA. How do they pick it up at such a young age? SMH Just remember, at this young age it’s easy to distract them. I fear for when my daughter can no longer be as easily distracted lol

March 13, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I’ve been wondering that same thing! I don’t act like that, none of her friends act like that…where did she get it? Yes, I’m worried about when she’s older too, distractions will be much harder to come by.

March 13, 2015 at 4:06 pm
  • Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life

Oh man, can I relate to this! I have a five year old daughter who is a TOTAL five-nager. So funny and so true! 🙂

March 13, 2015 at 5:29 pm

So you’re saying I may as well settle in because she’s going to be like this for awhile? Yikes! Lol!

March 13, 2015 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply Katie @ Mom to Mom Nutrition

Loved this post! I have boys— but I have heard the “threenager” stage is REAL! And can be really scary lol. You are a great mom– and have one beautiful daughter!

March 13, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Thank you! It is! And it is scary! Thank you so much!!

March 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

My baby girl is under 2 still… But, I have a niece nearing the Threenager age and she’s already sounding a lot like yours.. Especially the Glare!! Good Luck!!

March 14, 2015 at 12:27 am

Haha!! Uh oh…thanks!!

March 14, 2015 at 12:31 am
  • Reply Rebekah @ Surviving Toddlerhood

Bahaha!! I think my oldest and your daughter would get along like two peas in a pod. He is definitely a glare-er, and hates to pick up his toys. We’re working on it though…..I might make it a chore that he gets paid for. If he picks up his whole room by himself I’ll give him a quarter…..

March 15, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Ha-too funny! I should pay her for certain things again. A quarter is a good amount for the room-we gotta do that while we can!

March 15, 2015 at 8:16 pm
  • Reply Naomi

My four year old is still like that. It’s worse now since she’s got this chronic sinus infection stuff going on. It’s like having a four-ager and a 1 year old at the same time. If something hurts her feelings or doesn’t go her way, she’s been back at the 1 year old, throw herself on the ground screaming and crying thing again. I was super embarassed when she did it at the park, and I was totally unprepared to help her get better.

March 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Oh, man! That’s rough! Sometimes their reactions to things are shocking!

March 17, 2015 at 8:03 pm
  • Reply Amommasview

Hormones 😉

April 1, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply Donna

My grand daughters to a tee. Now 4 and 5 and my girls say “Mom you wished this on us didn’t you” It is much easier being a grandmother and enjoying the show.

April 2, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hahahaha!! I bet that’s exactly how my mom is feeling right now!

April 6, 2015 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Heather

I can totally relate! My 4 year old crumbles at the slightest correction of bad behavior too! She’s also taken up correcting me when she feels I’ve stepped over the line.

April 14, 2015 at 9:53 am

Same here! Mine corrects me too! That is hilarious!

April 14, 2015 at 10:08 am