Time for a Toddler Bed

Posted in Toddler by

A few nights ago, I put the boy in his crib at his normal bedtime. He went down easy enough, without a fuss.

I joined my husband on the couch to watch Friends while the Little Lady played on the floor with Play-Doh.

Then it happened.

There was a knock on the door of his bedroom. From inside the room.

Life as I knew it, flashed before my eyes.

Gone were the worry-free days of putting my youngest to bed knowing the only damage he could do was throw his pacifier across the room.

We were suddenly faced with some decisions.

Time for a Toddler Bed cheesy grin title picture

Is it time for a toddler bed?

Do we put a lock on his door so he doesn’t roam freely throughout the house? There are too many things for him to get into outside his room. What’s worse, he would likely climb the stairs looking for us, in the dark.

Do we start leaving lights on?

Do we need to obsessively make sure both bathroom doors are shut every night so he won’t drink from the toilet? Right now we can rest easy because he doesn’t know how to open doors, but that won’t last much longer.

We caught his escape on video on the monitor the next night. Although he fell on his landing, I still can’t help but be impressed with the amount of control he has getting to the floor. I feel an odd sense of pride watching him.

Sure, we have some decisions to make and changes on the horizon, but there is a perk. I got to sleep in this morning! When he woke up, he climbed out, moved his chair under the light switch, turned it on, and entertained himself for at least a half hour. I almost felt rested.

What did you do when your kiddo climbed out of their crib? Did you switch to a big bed right away, or hold off?

April 1, 2015

I remember those days! It was exciting to change to a toddle bed but a little sad to say goodbye to the baby days.

April 1, 2015 at 7:20 am

It is sad! It came so fast with this guy! My daughter was in her crib for another 8 months!

April 1, 2015 at 7:31 am
  • Reply Natasha

Great little escape artist! I have twin boys and I’m sure they are ready for their toddler bed, but I’m terrified too! Although, the extra time for momma in bed in the morning sounds appealing! I hope you share when you make your transition!

April 1, 2015 at 7:31 am

It was nice in the morning, but now I’m just waiting for him to open the door. Haha! I wonder if your twins will try at the same time, or if just one of them will try an escape.

April 1, 2015 at 8:30 am

Both my kids escaped fairly early. I waited a bit with my first, but then I would just find him sleeping on the couch every morning. With my daughter I got rid of her crib right away and just put her crib mattress on the floor until we bought her a full mattress.. we left that on a floor for a few months and now she has a bed too.

April 1, 2015 at 8:36 am

The other morning I was out of town and my husband woke up to our son on the floor in our bedroom. Just laying there, waiting for him to wake up… We haven’t taken the plunge quite yet, but I’m pretty certain it will be this week for a new bed…

April 6, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Rachael Boley

Too funny! That happened with the boys and when I heard that knock from the inside of the door I thought my heart was gonna fall through my butt! The boys have always shared a crib, and by their own choice, they still do. I have them both a toddler car bed, and there’s one in their room, but they don’t wanna sleep in it. They just play on it. When they continued climbing out of the crib, I talked to them about how dangerous it was and put a child proof doorknob thing in their door so they at least couldn’t open the door and roam freely. After Ethan fell out ad hurt himself (Not too bad) one night, I explained that’s why mommy told you not to climb out, etc. Then they did it again. So, I calmly explained that if they continued, I’d take a toy, then the lamp (because they always climbed out and turned the lamp on so they could play), and then 3rd time I’d take their crib and they’d have to sleep on the floor or their car. That got them! I stuck to what I said and dis take a toy and the lamp because they tried it twice more to see if I was serious. I reminded them , they’d lose their bed next time and their eyes have never been so big haha! It worked and they haven’t climbed out again since. They still like sleeping right next to each other in the crib, so as long as they’re safe, that’s fine with me!
    Good luck and Godspeed haha

April 1, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Haha! Thanks! That is so awesome they sleep together-so sweet! I may have to do something like that too-take away certain things. Yes, when we heard the knock, my stomach plummeted!

April 1, 2015 at 1:13 pm
  • Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

Ugh, my little guy is starting to climb out of his crib too. I’m totally not ready for this. Although my daughter is an early riser and hangs out until I get up in the mornings, so hopefully when my son gets up, they’ll hang out together for a while. Otherwise it’s good-bye, sleep! Good luck!

April 1, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Thanks! I’m not ready yet either. My daughter was a lot older than him when she started doing it. I thought I had another 8 months! Good luck to you too!

April 1, 2015 at 2:58 pm
  • Reply Colleen @MommieDaze

I remember the first time my oldest climbed out of bed. He came and got in bed with us in the morning. All i felt was something jump on the bed, and I almost pushed him off because I thought it was the dog!

April 1, 2015 at 6:57 pm

LOL!!! That’s hilarious!!!

April 1, 2015 at 6:57 pm
  • Reply Ai

Lucky you! You got to sleep in! When my kids started getting out on their own, they would drag me out of bed, ready to start their day, no matter how early in the morning it was.

April 1, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Ugh! Yes, I got to sleep in the one day. He figured out how to open doors the next day and he climbed the stairs to our room. Back to the early mornings! LOL!

April 6, 2015 at 7:37 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop ™ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

That video was so cute!! “ya, I’m gonna need this blanket. Defintely going to bring it!”

My older two never did this! But I know FOR SURE my youngest is almost there! Someone suggested to a friend to remove the mattress base, and keep it on the floor (in the crib frame) so that they can’t climb out… Maybe that will work??

April 1, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Haha! Thanks!
      That’s interesting. I wonder if that would work. I’ll check it out, thanks!!

April 1, 2015 at 9:37 pm
  • Reply Jenny

Z never slept in a crib. 🙂 She slept with us, but we switched her over to a real bed when she was about 2 years old. I love sleeping in a child free bed now. 🙂 And lucky for me, she is staunchly opposed to sleeping in our bed now… if she has a nightmare, I have to come into her room and her bed. Good thing she has a queen sized bed. lol. Good luck with the toddler bed!

April 2, 2015 at 2:17 am

My kids don’t like sleeping in our bed either. And I have no problem with cuddling in my Z’s bed if she needs me. Thank you!! I thought I had more time-oh, well!

April 2, 2015 at 9:31 am

Lol!!!! I LOVE how you captured one of the great escapes! My daughter did this at your little guy’s age. I love how the beginning of this post almost read as a horror story. 🙂 best of luck with transitioning!!!

April 2, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Haha! Thank you! I was pretty excited I was able to get it. Its been interesting so far…he’s pretty snarky and he knows what he can do…and he’s been having a lot of fun. Haha!

April 2, 2015 at 10:20 pm
  • Reply Naomi

My little girl never got to this stage. She would turn sideways in the crib and get her leg caught in the side, then scream when she tried to roll over. She’s been on a twin mattress since she was 1! She somehow thinks she needs permission to get up in the morning, so the only wanderings she does is to go potty in the middle of the night (usually asks for my help, which makes me have to go, too!).

April 4, 2015 at 6:17 am

Since she was 1?! Oh, wow!! My daughter would always stay in her room until we got up too. My son, not so much.

April 4, 2015 at 5:23 pm