Daddy Does It Better

Posted in Parenting by

I’m a good mom. No. I’m a great mom.

There may be days when I throw chocolate at my face while hiding in a closet more than I should, but generally, I’m stellar.

I cook, clean, comfort, and console. And that’s only part of my day. As good as I am at my job, there are some things my husband just does better.

He sees things differently than me. Maybe it’s his “logical” way of thinking, as opposed to my, let’s face it, more “emotional” way of thinking.

Whatever it is, sometimes, he’s just a better parent. Here are some of the ways daddy does it better:

Poulsbo waterfront

1. He’s a better Domestic Engineer

Do you know how irritating it is to come home to a clean house?

I get home from being away for the day and the kids are sitting happily at the dinner table, chatting and actually eating their meal. The dishes are done, the laundry is pretty much done, all the crap everything is put away.

How? When? Wha?!!

I’m with them every single day. I never get that much done-and it’s not from lack of trying.

Annoying as sh*t!

2. Smarter about Bedtime Routine Changes

Last week, our youngest started crawling out of his crib. Once he really got the hang of it, it has been easy for him to just hop right out.

I was on baby bedtime duty the first night he discovered his fun new game, and my solution left me exhausted.

I would lay him down, cover him up, then leave the room.

He would be out of his crib before I reached the stairs. Once I got there, I would hear the oh-so-familiar “click” of the light switch.

I would go back in and we ended up repeating the process seven or eight times. Like I said, exhausting!

The next night, my husband put him to bed and sat in the chair next to his crib. It seems like a simple change, but I hadn’t even considered it.

My Little Guy stood up once or twice, but as soon as he saw daddy, he’d lie right down.

So, while he was putting baby to bed, daddy got to sit and relax in a rather comfy rocker, playing with his phone. And it didn’t take long for the kiddo to fall asleep.

Belfair wetlands

3. Daddy likes to Rough-house Play

I don’t wrestle. I don’t like tickling or being tickled. And I certainly don’t spin.

These are all things children are usually find of.

Daddy is up to the challenge. He’ll do a “huggy-spin” until he’s ready to pass out. He also doesn’t mind if the kiddos jump on him so hard they knock the wind out of him.

Daddy does it better daughter biting daddys nose

These activities produce the type of laughter that makes a mama swoon. But they are not for me, I would rather keep my lunch down and watch from afar.

4. Daddy is Discipline

This is a difficult one for me to admit. I feel like I do a decent job in the discipline department, but I get very little results.

My husband, on the other hand, is firm when he needs to be. And when there’s a toddler having a conniption, he’s able to walk away. It almost breaks my mama brain.

Of all the things he does better than me, this one is the most annoying. Once my daughter is disciplined by daddy, she is really sweet and clingy with him.

When I follow through with a disciplinary action, she glares at me and then ignores me. Because she’s three. Going on thirteen.

5. Daddy nurtures Independence

When we take our kids places, he’s more willing to let them explore and roam free.

I’ve gotten quite a bit better with our second, but I am still a “helicopter mom.”

When I was due any day with our youngest, my husband took our oldest to a park. She wasn’t quite two yet and, where she had been to plenty of parks before, she had never done much on her own.

I was laid up at home waiting for contractions to start when my husband sent me a video of two year old Z climbing a metal ladder and going down a gigantic slide all by herself. I almost had a heart attack! As hard as it was for me to watch, she was obviously enjoying every second of this new thing called independence.

6. Daddy Changes Diapers in Public

He’s not necessarily “better than me” at it, he just does it way more often. So much so, that I thought it deserved a mention.

Ever since our daughter was born almost four years ago, I have only changed the kids’ diapers in public a handful of times.

How do I get out of it, you ask? I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is when my daughter was first born, I was in a lot of pain recovering from a C-Section. While out with this tiny new infant, anytime she needed to be changed, my husband would volunteer. It must have become a habit, (a wonderful, glorious habit!), because he still does it without a single complaint.

This is not, by any stretch, a complete list. I know there are many qualities that just aren’t coming to mind, (either that, or I don’t want his head to get too big), Β but this is at least a start.

I understand parenting is not a competition, it’s a partnership. But we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I feel very fortunate that mine and my husband’s complement each other. As long as there’s plenty of communication, we can continue to learn from each other and lean on one another through this adventure we call “Parenting”. One of the most important qualities for parents is teamwork, because it truly takes a village.

What about you? Are there parenting qualities your other half has that you struggle with?What do you do better?

This post is part of the #TakeTime link up for June! The theme is “A Dedication to Dads.” If you have a post that fits this theme, head on over and join the party!

Aw! I love this post!!! It made me laugh, nod my head a good few times, and smile a whole lot. Daddy certainly does do it better in certains ways and so he deserves the “What the ? how?” Moments along with the appreciation! Great post <3

April 9, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Thanks Alana! I figured it was time he got a little shout out. πŸ™‚

April 9, 2015 at 11:50 pm
  • Reply Rachael Boley

Wow!!! It must be the period, but this made me teary. What a wonderful daddy and husband you have. Such a gift, to you and to your babies. What a wonderful way to honor his efforts and give him the respect he deserves. Sounds like you two really have a great partnership and have learned to balance the parenting load well. Great Great post!!!!

April 10, 2015 at 7:45 am

Thank you so much Rachael-that means a lot! He really is a gift! I wanted to show him how much I truly appreciate him. πŸ™‚

April 10, 2015 at 8:04 am
  • Reply Melissa

So sweet of you to write this! My husband will sometimes offer to take both kids to the store and I’m like “Are you sure?” Then they will return and he will say the kids were great!

April 10, 2015 at 9:36 am

Oh, yes!! I love it when he takes both kids to the store! They always behave really well for him too.

April 10, 2015 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

That is great you have a husband that is so involved with the kids!! It is awesome that he helps pick up etc when you are gone. It must be such a relief to come home to a put together house!

April 10, 2015 at 11:10 am

It really is nice. I still wonder how he does it though. πŸ™‚

April 10, 2015 at 1:06 pm
  • Reply Melissande

Oh my goodness. Dads are so great. I love the diaper changing category!

My husband also fosters more independence. And… he wins in the patience department. I so wish I was as patient as him.

This was great! Love you giving your man the spotlight! πŸ™‚

April 10, 2015 at 12:07 pm

They are, aren’t they? I feel very lucky that he’s so involved. Thank you!!

April 10, 2015 at 1:06 pm

ALL of these things I totally agree with!! Number 1 esp.. it annoys the crap out of me when my husband is home one day since I know everything will be spotless.. we always say if one of us could stay home, he would be the better choice! ha!

April 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Hahaha! So funny! It is so annoying-makes me crazy!

April 10, 2015 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Cristi

Love this post! It’s so true, though. Dads are better at some things than mamas are, especially giving kids independence. Thanks for sharing!

April 10, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Thanks so much! Yes! The Independence!! It’s so hard for me!

April 10, 2015 at 5:35 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop β„’ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

Such a great post, I love number 3 and 5 the most! It’s so important to remember that we’re in this together and it’s not a competition (or a nagging contest).

You guys are lucky to have each other!

April 13, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Thanks so much! It’s so true, it’s nice to balance each other out.

April 13, 2015 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Tessa

Dad is definitely the rough house-er. Try as I might, the babes LOVE to play with dad over me any day. I am FAR better with the cleaning and the discipline, however … dad’s a pushover :). Since are second though, I almost never make meals at a decent time anymore, but luckily the husband and I like to cook equally and he’s picked up all the slack in that department. Great and humbling post!

April 13, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Haha! Sounds like you guys have a great balance together. And that’s what’s important! πŸ™‚

April 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Charu

I agree to every point especially the discipline. My twins especially the daughter will just stare and move off sometimes but with daddy she is all clingy even after he gives her a time out.

April 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

It’s the craziest thing!! Glad I’m not the only one who’s kid does that! πŸ™‚

April 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Minh

Wow – this is so nice! I thought I had a supportive husband in the parenting department but yours definitely gets results for sure! Wish we would have tried that tip with when our daughter crawled out of her crib – that was exhausting I agree!

April 14, 2015 at 3:01 am

Thank you! I feel very fortunate that we compliment each other when it comes to parenting.

April 14, 2015 at 7:01 am
  • Reply Tia

I WISH my husband would change a diaper in public lol it’s like he has butter fingers and gets all flustered! Really great article though. I’m glad I found your blog.

Tia

April 14, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Thank you so much!! I know it’s not common for dads to change the kids in public, that’s why I wanted to give him a shout out to show my appreciation. πŸ™‚

April 14, 2015 at 1:02 pm
  • Reply C. Lee Reed

Loved this post. Thank you for reminding us all why our hubby’s rock. I think we often forget to embrace the difference and admit that they are awesome.

April 14, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Thank you! Sometimes it’s easy to forget how awesome they are when we (I) get caught up in our own world.

April 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm
  • Reply Tricia

This was such a sweet post! I say my husband is way better at being more relaxed and laid back about things. He is good about calming me down. I commend your husband’s ability to keep the house clean though. I always laugh when I come home because it’s like a tornado went off. My husband can be messy!

April 14, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! Yes, my husband definitely calms me down too sometimes. Uh oh!! My husband would probably say that’s what our place looks like when he gets home. I swear I clean at naptime-then the afternoon swallows me whole!

April 14, 2015 at 6:29 pm
  • Reply kleighann

I was nominated for these awards and now I nominate you! πŸ˜€

Real Neat Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award

April 15, 2015 at 12:35 am

Oh, wow! Thank you for thinking of me!! πŸ˜€

April 15, 2015 at 12:49 am
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

<3 this post. I know my hubby and I both have different strengths and weaknesses and we compliment each other as well. It is awesome that you are giving him credit where it's due πŸ™‚

October 13, 2015 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply Christina

When my kids were younger there were definitely days that I was annoyed that he got things done that I couldn’t. As they got older, I often found myself slightly annoyed at how he was able to navigate a situation without the teen freaking out! All in all, I’d say we make a terrific balance, and I am so thankful for it!

June 11, 2016 at 5:16 am