Exploring the Pacific Science Center

This weekend my family and I were invited to my very first blogger event. We were treated to breakfast and an entire day at the Pacific Science Center courtesy of Animal Jam.

Pacific Science Center my little family

Breakfast started at 9, and somehow, considering our insane morning, we made it on time.

Pacific Science Center

We got to eat and then the kids were off! They had a lot of fun looking at the bugs and reptiles. I had a horrible unsettled feeling in my stomach being surrounded by so many creepy-crawlers. Apparently a Black Widow makes me squirm even if it’s in a glass case.

Next to the bug section, there was a butterfly house. I really wanted to go in, because there are so many beautiful butterflies flying around (I heard they even land on you!!) However, we didn’t go because I was afraid one of the kids might freak out, or worse, crush one of them. So we wandered elsewhere.

At 10, Animal Jam gave a short presentation so we could learn more about them. Its an app for kids that love animals and the outdoors. Its a fun way for kids to interact online in a safe environment. Animal Jam pays special attention to online safety which is important, because letting the kiddos play online can be scary.

After the presentation, we got to explore the rest of the science center for the remainder of the day. (By this time we had been there for a little over an hour, so the kids were only going to last a bit longer.) It was the first time we had ever taken them here and it was stimulation over-load! What kid doesn’t love that?!

Z and I watched part of the snake show. If you asked her now what she thought, she would say she loved it. Only I, and the lovely ladies sitting next to us, know the truth. She was squirmy and kept saying she wanted to leave. Finally, after the live snake made an appearance, we moved on.

Right next to the snake show was the dinosaur exhibit. My husband and I each have fond memories of this particular part of the museum. The dinosaurs are huge and their heads move around. When we were kids, they were the most amazing, technologically advanced things we had ever seen. Thirty years later, they’re a bit worn…but my Little Guy was impressed-and that’s all that matters! He kept exclaiming in his adorable learning how to talk voice, “Oh, woah!!” Over and over.

Knowing our time was limited, my husband and I corralled the kids to another section. We discovered the huge toddler play area, which is where we spent a significant amount of time. The kiddos would have been happy to stay there all day. It had things to climb, slides, play cars, and a gigantic water table.

Pacific Science Center

Once the kids got into the water, (and the boy kept fixating on drinking it), we decided to move along…we had a long car ride ahead of us…and only so many outfits…

Pacific Science Center

Lastly, and perhaps the hit of the entire place, there was a big floor with lights shining on it. If you stood on the floor, the lights followed you around. The kids had a good ol’ time “chasing” the lights all over the place. It reminded me of teasing a cat with a laser pointer…hours of fun!

Finally, my youngest collapsed on the floor, so we decided it was time to go.

Pacific Science Center

That is when the fun REALLY began! If you have toddlers, you know how wonderful it is taking them away from something they like. Not the best. Once we finally got to the car, Little Miss was in full-on tantrum mode. There’s nothing better than giving your kid a time-out in public!

I really think that with little kids there is such a thing as “too much fun,” and you have a tiny window of time to side step the crazy wrath of the overtired, overstimulated toddler. We didn’t get to avoid it that day, but we can dream for next time. And there will be a next time soon-we only saw a fraction of this place!

All-in-all, we had a wonderful time. And I would like to thank Animal Jam for sponsoring this great event!

What fun things do you like to do as a family? Does your city have a science center?

• Reply Jenny

I wish we had one of these in Phuket. I know that Z would love it and it would be a great way to spend the day when it’s rainy or too hot outside to play.
    Is your Z wearing an Elsa dress? Too cute!

April 27, 2015 at 7:27 am

Yes, perfect for rainy days here! I’m hoping to get a pass for the year because we tend to get rain…sometimes…
      She is! She also has an Elsa braid (aka, a french braid…). LOL! Thanks!

April 27, 2015 at 11:32 pm
  • Reply Amanda Evans | Odds & Evans

Fun! We have a Maryland Science Center that I hear has a toddler area, too, so I wonder if it’s a lot like this one. This makes me really want to try it soon, but I’ll be in the same boat of making a few good toddler hours count! So glad you guys had a blast until you dropped haha!

April 27, 2015 at 11:02 am

It was so much fun! You should go to yours. But definitely just a half day for toddlers!

April 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm
  • Reply Melissa

Wow, looks like great fun! I haven’t been to the science center in LA in awhile but it was pretty cool too.

April 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I can’t wait to go back-still so much to see!

April 27, 2015 at 11:30 pm
  • Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life

wow! this place sounds amazing. we love going to the science center, zoo, butterfly house, etc–i wish they were all in one place though! looks like this was such a fun day. πŸ™‚

April 27, 2015 at 2:32 pm

It was really great-I can’t wait until we go again!

April 27, 2015 at 2:35 pm
  • Reply Rachel

This looked to be such an exciting adventure! I’m sorry I chuckled a little about the boy being fixated on drinking the water (sounds like a little boy I may know) πŸ™‚ and I had no idea butterfly houses existed. Since reading this, I want to find one close to our home (if one exists.) I do share your concerns about smashing them though. This was a really exciting experience, thank you for sharing it!

April 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Haha! My daughter has never tried drinking the water at things like this! My son apparently likes any water found outside of his sippy cup. The butterfly house is really cool! I got to go inside years ago. I can’t wait until the kids are old enough to go in-to be honest, I’m bummed I didn’t leave the kids with my husband for a sec and pop in by myself. I hope you find one close to you!

April 27, 2015 at 11:30 pm
  • Reply Ellen Russell

Wow this looks like a lot of fun! Especially the light up floor. We used to live close by a zoo with lots of kids areas that we took the boys to all the time, but we don’t live close to anything like this anymore.

April 27, 2015 at 4:29 pm

It was really fun! That would be so cool If we lived closer, unfortunately this one is an hour away. So we won’t be able to go as often as I’d like.

April 27, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Ok this place looks like a total blast!!! My daughter would have so much fun! Too bad it’s like 1037299 miles away on the opposite site of the country hehe… No place cool like this where I live -_-

April 28, 2015 at 7:53 am

Haha! Yeah, a little far…it was a lot of fun! That’s a bummer! There’s got to be something near you!

April 28, 2015 at 8:24 am

Firstly, Z and Angelina sound quite similar. There are many things she reportedly loves after the fact πŸ˜‰
    Next time I’m in town (which I hoping is sooner rather than later), we will definitely check out the Science Center!

April 28, 2015 at 8:06 am

Haha-that’s so funny! I just asked her what her favorite part was yesterday and she said the snakes. You definitely should-it’s a lot of fun! If it’s bad weather, there’s plenty to do inside, but if it’s nice, there’s a ton to do outside too!

April 28, 2015 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Colleen @ MommieDaze

My boys love going to places like this. We always try to stop at science museums when we’re traveling.

April 28, 2015 at 5:57 pm

That’s a great idea! I think we should do that when we travel too! How fun to see science museums from all over!

April 28, 2015 at 5:59 pm