Mama Improvement Project: Capsule Wardrobe

While most of my thoughts are consumed by what the kids are up to and what we’re having for dinner tomorrow, sometimes, a mama needs to be selfish. I know full well that I don’t have the knowledge to support a “Lifestyle” blog or a “Self-Improvement” blog, but from now on, I’m going to share an occasional positive change that I am going to make just for me.

These positive changes are first and foremost all about me, however, they will effect my family immensely. Because as we all know, a healthy, happy mama is much more willing to share with others.

My first “Mama Improvement Project” is the “capsule wardrobe”.

mama improvement project: Capsule WardrobeYou may have seen the post all about capsule wardrobes by Caroline from “Unfancy” circulating Facebook. I’ve decided to jump on board.

The idea behind it is to live a more minimalism lifestyle. With our recent move, we got rid of a ton of stuff and we are continuing to do so, (we are NOT having a stressful move next time!), but we still have a lot of junk!

One thing I’m really bad about getting rid of is clothes. I have maternity clothes in my drawers. I have dresses I haven’t worn for over 8 years, (but they’re so cute!). And I have pants that sag or are too tight-either way, they don’t look good!!

The first step for the capsule wardrobe is to take everything out of your closet. As you go through your clothes, only keep things you love. Caroline has it broken down to a number for each type of piece you keep. In the end, you have 37 pieces of clothing in your closet that you love. She suggests 15 tops, 9 pairs of pants, 9 pairs of shoes…

I know a lot of women that are really into shoes. I’m not one of those women, I don’t actually have 9 pairs, so if I feel the need to keep an extra top or two, I will.

Here are all of my clothes on my bed:

Mama Improvement Project #1

This is after the purge with my clothes put away:

Mama Improvement Project Capsule wardrobeMama Improvement Project #1 hung clothes no title

I actually got it down to 32 pieces. I’m not counting winter coats or sweaters because they go into storage until winter. As she explains in her post, you also don’t count undergarments, nightwear, or accessories. So, as far as my main clothing pieces go, I have 32 out and ready to wear.

Turns out, I have a LOT of sports tops. As much as I love my home teams, when I go out to buy a few new pieces, I’m going to get a pretty top or two. The rest will be pants or shorts-I don’t have as many options as I would like right now.

To be honest, I had a hard time getting rid of a few select pieces because of sentimental value. After some thought, I realized I will never wear them again, so I finally decided to let them go. I did, however, keep my reception wedding dress-my Little Lady may want to wear it to hers one day…or she may want to play dress-up in it…

Since this is a ‘capsule,’ you can change it up every three months. When the three months is almost up, you start planning for your next capsule. Considering the weather, and things you no longer want to wear, you can shop for some different pieces to replace ones you are willing to get rid of, (or things that need to go into storage, such as heavy winter sweaters). Caroline has the system down, and explains it much better then I can. If you haven’t checked out the post yet, you should!

I’m really glad I decided to do this! Not only did I clear out a ton of stuff that was just sitting there, (I got rid of over half of my wardrobe), but now I get to go shopping! Ha!

Next up I’m going to try talking my husband into doing it too. He has a ton of clothes!

Would you ever consider doing a capsule wardrobe? What type’s of “improvement” things do you do for yourself?

• Reply Pam Rudee

Love this concept-just got rid of clothes but now will count and probably get rid of more!

April 29, 2015 at 7:40 am

It was really good for me to do this. I’m very curious about your wardrobe-can’t wait to hear about it!

April 29, 2015 at 7:43 am
  • Reply angie in my 30s

I purge my clothes regularly at SWAP parties. Read about them here: http://inmy30sanditstime.com/2013/11/21/inspired-party-idea-time-to-swap/

they are AMAZING!!!

April 29, 2015 at 8:59 am

Sounds like so much fun! I recently moved to a new area so now I just need to make a bunch of friends!

April 29, 2015 at 9:28 am
  • Reply Tessa

I keep hearing about these! Loved to read a personal post on it. I purged my closet a year or two ago and surprisingly enough, my husband had more of a struggle letting go of clothes than I did.

April 29, 2015 at 9:15 am

I felt like I was getting rid of clothes all the time, but I still had a ton I wasn’t wearing.
      That’s so funny! My husband has way more clothes than I did, I’m really hoping I can convince him to do this.

April 29, 2015 at 9:27 am
  • Reply Jaya Pandey

Good one. I did that too like 6 months ago and I am glad I made that decision. My closet it more organized and I can easily pick what I want. Plus keeping some quality pieces in enhances our overall dressing sense and appearance. Good luck for your next target 🙂

April 29, 2015 at 9:31 am

That’s awesome! I feel so good getting rid of things that were just sitting there. Thank you! I’m really excited to see how it goes!

April 29, 2015 at 9:45 am
  • Reply Kelly @ The OK Momma

I love this! I work full time so I may need two “capsules” because my work wardrobe is separate from my “life” wardrobe. Great challenge – and I bet I could make a killing in a garage sale 🙂

April 29, 2015 at 9:46 am

Ah, yeah that makes sense. No kidding-make money at a garage sale so you can buy more clothes (at least that’s what I would probably do. Haha!)

April 29, 2015 at 9:48 am

I actually just got rid of a ton of clothes recently and it feels great to actually walk into my closet and like everything in there!

April 29, 2015 at 2:20 pm

That is so awesome! Isn’t it a great feeling?! I love it! I think I’ve convinced my husband to do it too, so hopefully our closet will look really great by next week.

April 29, 2015 at 2:41 pm
  • Reply Melissande

A capsule wardrobe sounds great to me!! I am a very low maintenance person and so the less clothing I have to keep in my house the better! One of my friends is way into this and she has raved that it is an awesome fix to having too many clothes. I also do not have 9 pairs of shoes. I’ve always wondered how so many women have SO many pairs of shoes! Where do they keep them all!?

April 29, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Sounds like something that would be perfect for you! It feels so much better in my closet already! (Now it’s the husband’s turn.) I have no clue about the shoes-I am a very low maintenance shoe person. I couldn’t imagine 9 pairs!

April 29, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hehehehe when we moved last year we kinda did the same thing! I had a huge walk in closet in our condo we were living In before so I kinda was a hoarder when it came to clothes. I still had stuff from when I was in high school that I hadn’t worn in years lol. When we moved my closet space went down to half the size so it was time for me to get rid of stuff that realistically I was never going to wear again…. Hardest thing ever to part with the stuff,but omg now that I did… I feel so much better and more organized in life. Funny how something so simple as that can change the way you feel about home life lol.

April 30, 2015 at 7:11 am

I still had a dress that I was keeping that I used to wear out dancing a lot in college. It was one of my favorites and I had tried getting rid of it many times before, but this is the time I was actually able to do it. I will never, ever wear it again, so it needed to be done. Sorry to hear about your walk-in closet having to be downsized, so sad! That had to have been tough! It has been a great feeling so far though! I love not having so much extra crap in my way!

April 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm
  • Reply Rachael Boley

This is really cool and I admire your ability to be so organized. I just spent this last weekend going through the boys stuff and several things to cleanse. I’m overloaded with stuff and want to minimize the clutter for sure. I have a hard time getting rid of clothes because I really do wear most of what I have. Ive gotten rid of a lot though, and probably need to do more. This is a great idea and project! Great job

April 30, 2015 at 10:22 am

Thank you! I still don’t feel organized though, I guess you could say I’m a work in progress. I feel like In going through the kid’s clothes every week because they’re always growing out of stuff…so much fun!!

April 30, 2015 at 12:17 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

I purge from time to time, but I have never put pieces together to Really decide what I need. I think this is an amazing idea!! I think I need to talk to my man about it too…. He also has a huge stash of clothes!!

April 30, 2015 at 10:37 am

It was actually fun and I felt really good afterward! My husband has so many clothes, it’s ridiculous!!

April 30, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I love to purge but I am not sure if I am willing to go as far as you have. You have inspired me to be conscious of what I really need, though.

April 30, 2015 at 5:53 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

I love a good cleaning session and I usually spend far too much time in our closest. Maybe I should attempt this and get things out of there for good!

May 1, 2015 at 6:19 am

You should! I feel so free! But I seriously need to work on my husband’s side of the closet now! 😀

May 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I feel like I have actually been doing this already, but I would call it the suitcase wardrobe. hahah Although I have accumulated some extra things since I have been in one place for over a year. It does make it easier only to have to have summer clothing though. 🙂 Admittedly I miss my jeans every once a while though.

May 2, 2015 at 8:28 am

Hahahaha! The “suitcase wardrobe”! Awesome! That probably keeps your clothes in check quite a bit! I LOVE jeans. But at the end of the day, I hate them. Ha!

May 2, 2015 at 8:30 am
  • Reply Tricia

I SO need to do this! My closet is just way too cluttered. My husband may actually be worse than me though. I wish someone would just come to mayhouse and do this for me… Oh and buy my some new clothes too. Haha

December 29, 2015 at 10:54 am

I wish my husband would do it too. His side of the closet is out of control! It’s hard to get started, but once you do, it’s really fun!

December 29, 2015 at 10:58 am