Mama Improvement Project: Healthier Lifestyle

Ok, here’s the sitch.

I would like to lose 25 pounds.

Before I started having kids, I read an article in a magazine where a woman reached her goal weight and rewarded herself with $200 to spend on new clothes.

I excitedly told my husband about it because I planned to do the same for myself when I reached my goal weight.

He asked me what my magic number was, I told him.

His exact words were, “Oh, honey, let’s make it $1000.”

I realize this makes my husband sound like a jerk. Luckily, he knows his audience and I thought it was both hilarious and insulting at the same time-but mostly hilarious.

What a great motivator! All I had to do (at the time) was lose 15 pounds! Then I got pregnant.

After my first pregnancy, I didn’t get close to my goal because I knew we were planning on getting pregnant again soon, so I didn’t even try…

Almost a year after having my son, I joined a local Mommy Weight-loss Facebook group. It was a motivational group, and I started losing weight fast! I actually got 6 pounds away from my goal. That’s right, I was a measly 6 pounds away from $1000-just for me. Writing it out is making it more real. UGH.

By the way, it won’t be a big chunk of money all at once. It will be more like anytime I go clothes shopping  for myself, I won’t worry about the cost, and I will just keep a running tab. I’m actually curious to see how long it will take me to spend it all. (See what I did there? I’m speaking as if I’ve won the bet already. Ha!)

I guess I got cocky? I stopped watching what I ate. I didn’t exercise as much. Seriously, this is painful-what was I doing?

Now our situation is quite different. At the time, we were members of the YMCA. It was a fantastic gym, and it had FREE CHILDCARE!!! It was such a great escape for my SAHM self! Someone else will watch my kids while I do something for me?!

Well, we moved away. There are Y’s close by. Two out of three of them are brand new. Monthly membership is the same as our old place, but we would have to pay for child care each time we went. I had no idea how spoiled we were. (If I went three times a week, child care would be more than the cost of our membership.)

We have a large garage where my husband works out almost every day. I am just having such a hard time getting myself going. I don’t like exercising with the kids all over me, and I have “better” things to do during nap time (blogging takes time!!)

But here I am, 25 pounds away from my goal, something needs to be done.

Working on self-improvement one step at a time, starting with a healthier lifestyle.

Before I list the changes I plan to make, I want to point something out. The title of this post is “Healthier Lifestyle.” As in, I want to make healthier choices in my life because I want to be healthy, and it is essential that I set a good example for my kids. 25 pounds is just a number, its a goal I have in mind. The $1000 is supposed to be a motivator (its working so well!) The true motivator and end goal is to live a healthier lifestyle.

That said, here are the changes I plan to make:

*Drink more water-I want to drink 3 Liters of water a day. I’ve done it before, I know I can do it again. My body felt better, my skin looked great, and bonus!! I didn’t feel hungry all the time.

*Healthier food choices-The kids eat a lot healthier than I do, if I just eat what I give them, I should be golden.

*No late night snacks-I love munching on something at night while catching up on our latest show (currently its “Big Bang”) If I’m hungry past 9pm, I can have fruits or vegetables.

*I get a “cheat” night-In the past, Friday worked best for me. It’s usually date night and I really like to have beer with my chicken wings. When I was strict last year, it was something fun to look forward to. I was good all week because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted on Friday. Also, if there is a special occasion, I can have a treat. But in moderation. Which leads me to my next one…

*Eat in moderation-I’m not sure what shifted and when, but lately I have been eating A LOT. Its as if I don’t give my brain enough time to tell me I’m full, and I keep eating. I need to take smaller portions and wait a bit before I get more.

*Find a new “coping mechanism”-I eat far too much chocolate. ‘Nuff said.

Mama Improvement Project: Healthy Lifestyle

I know I have a lot of changes I want to make, but in the beginning, I’m going to go easy on myself. Last week I started with the water and I’ve already been watching it on the late night snacking. I’ve also been eating a lot less chocolate. I’ve resumed my physical therapy exercises for my back, but now I need to do actual cardio and weights. For the next few days, I will exercise a different time of day to find the best time that works for me and the kiddos.

What do you do for yourself to live a healthy lifestyle? What types of exercises do you do? Do you have any favorite healthy meals or snacks? Please share!!

May 12, 2015

Good luck! Change is difficult but I know that you can do it! I am trying to exercise more and eat more fruits and vegetables. I am not concerned about the weight but I hope to feel better and have more energy.

May 13, 2015 at 7:59 am

Thank you! After just a few days, I’m already feeling much better!

May 13, 2015 at 8:21 am

My husband is a registered dietitian and he tells everyone to download a calorie counter. We both use the my fitness pal app when we want to lost a few pounds. It is the only thing that works. When you are trying to slim down it is ALL about calories in vs. calories out.. this way you dont have to worry about WHAT you are eating, just the calories in each meal. Pretty soon you figure out that calories go quick when you eat crap, so you end up changing the way eat slowly but surely. Good luck!!

May 13, 2015 at 8:04 am

I counted calories years ago, and it definitely worked! I should download an app that would make it easier! When I did it before, I didn’t have a smart phone yet…Thanks for the tip!

May 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm
  • Reply Christine

I like that you have a goal and a reward in place. I plan on doing something similar after baby #2 arrives in July. Like you, I don’t plan to eat after 8 p.m. (because we know that is when I crave ice cream and cookies and milk!!) and I really am going to up my water intake. No more pop (or soda – depending on where you’re from). Exercise will come once I can get moving and get some time away from the kids, but I am not going to just sit my butt on the couch all day – that is for sure. I will be up and moving with the kids 🙂 GOOD LUCK TO YOU! <3 The Choosy Mommy from http://www.choosykids.blogspot.com

May 13, 2015 at 9:01 am

Sounds like you have a good plan! My big one last year was giving up the ice cream too. I would eat ice cream with Oreo’s added. I stopped doing that, and I don’t eat a lot of ice cream anymore actually! Same with soda (I may be the only Washingtonian that calls it that), I stopped drinking it awhile ago so I very rarely drink any. As long as you give your body time to heal after delivery, the exercise will come naturally.

May 13, 2015 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Melissa

Those are good changes. Drinking only water is the biggest thing for me. I have no willpower so I basically can’t have sweets or chips in the house. Sometimes I will just make half a batch of cookies so we all get a few but I don’t cookie binge. Blogging sometimes cuts into my workout time. Gyms are really expensive. I was talking to these moms the other day and they said their gym membership for the family plus daycare was over $100 a month.

May 13, 2015 at 10:15 am

My willpower can definitely use some work! I’ve done the half batch of cookies before, but then I just end up eating the dough. My daughter really wants to make cookies today (its been awhile), so I’ll get to start working on my willpower. It may be rough, but I have to prove to myself that I can eat just one! Gyms are so expensive! Its such a bummer-such a nice get away!

May 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm
  • Reply Keisha Gardner

My plan is to start walking more again when I am somewhat recovered from having this baby in July. I did that with my first, and was within 5 lbs. of my pre-pregnancy weight when she was 6 months old. I also tried to keep most of my snacking very healthy, keeping a lot of fruits and such around to easily tempt myself for my incessant hunger as a breastfeeding mommy.

May 13, 2015 at 11:24 am

Oh, that incessant hunger! I remember eating everything in sight! I love walking! I love loading the kids up in the double stroller and take them up some hills-now I just need to find a good place to do that in my new area!

May 13, 2015 at 12:54 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

try apple cider vinegar shots… 2tsp vinegar, 6oz water, a dash of cayenne pepper… first thing in the morning. It sheds water weight and jump starts your metabolism. Tastes like crap, but you will hit your goal in No time! Good Luck! You got this!!!

May 13, 2015 at 11:25 am

Oh, wow! That sounds terrible-but also perfect! Thank you-I’ll have to get some vinegar, but I will definitely try that!!

May 13, 2015 at 11:31 am

I could just hug you!!!! I’m 20 away from my goal weight. I feel like my skinny inner self is still shocked that I would even ever need to lose TWENTY lbs. Like you, I’ve gotten so close I can almost taste the success of getting into my pre-pregnancy clothes. Then, I get cocky and lazy and eat to make myself feel better after an exhausting day and then……. Argh!!!!
    We have p90x from back when those infomercials were on all the time (not sure if you saw them) and my girlfriend is a beach body coach, so I’m hoping maybe that helps… That was my plan to start today. But like you, being physically assaulted by jumping and claiming toddlers as I attempt to lunge or go into plank position is daunting without accounting for the motivation I need to workout on my own, at home. Want to keep each other accountable? Lol. Just a thought. I could literally use all the help I can get.
    I hope this comment makes sense…. The kids are talking incessantly as I write.

May 14, 2015 at 5:40 am

Yay!! I’m not alone! We can absolutely keep each other accountable! I can use all the help I can get too! We have p90x also, and we might even have beach body. It’s so hard to exercise with the kids around! Yesterday, I used them as my weights. They loved it, but I got tired so fast because I’m so out of shape! Haha! Its so incredibly frustrating to be so close, and then go the wrong way. So, how shall we do this? What’s our next step? LOL!

May 14, 2015 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Sue Parke

This is my favorite kind of post! And you can TOTALLY DO THIS!!!! I always remind myself the only workout I regret is the one I didn’t do. Even 20 or 30 minutes makes a big difference.. And there are so many wonderful ways to stay active and so many wonderfully healthy delicious foods to help fuel you along the way! Bet of luck! I look forward to watching your journey!

May 14, 2015 at 9:39 am

Thank you so much Sue!! I really appreciate the encouragement! I will probably post snippets here and there on IG, then I’ll write an “update” post in probably two months or so…

May 14, 2015 at 9:53 am
  • Reply Jenny

You can do it! 🙂
    I work out using the fitness program on Chad’s Xbox One 6 days a week, so two days a week I do 40 minutes of MMA cardio, 2 days of 30 minutes weight lifting, and two days of 30 minute Abs (I HATE this one).
    I just started cutting out most of the carbs I eat during the day and also excess sugar (well mostly). I want to lose about 30 pounds, so am going that the change in diet will prompt me to start losing. Not that I care that much about what the scale says, but I would like to be two sizes smaller. I want to look toner and better in clothes. And be stronger of course.
    Maybe you could try jogging, or a brisk walk every morning before your hubby leaves for work, or when he gets home?
    Well, that was the longest comment ever, sorry. LOL

May 18, 2015 at 7:58 am

Wow!! That is a lot!! You’ll drop the two sizes in no time!! I want to drop two sizes also, more would be fine with me, but two is the goal right now. That’s a good idea, I should try to do something before my husband goes to work.
      I love the long comments! Lol!!

May 18, 2015 at 8:23 am