Mid-Week Update

Last week I set myself up for a bunch of changes for this week.ย I thought I would do a mid-week update and share something I’m really excited about.

I’ve been wanting to get healthy for sometime now, but I was having a hard time giving myself that shove to get started. I wrote a post on things I wanted to change about my habits in an effort to get healthier. The post went live last Wednesday and one week later, I am still making changes every day. I’ve started moving a lot more and I’ve been making healthier food choices. If you have any favorite go-to healthy snacks, please feel free to share!

Watermelon, cucumber, and feta, anyone?

I’ve finally gotten the whole drinking a ton of water thing down! I’ve been trying for over a year to figure out a way to drink about a gallon per day. I got a new water bottle with a straw (I’ve found that I’m not very coordinated, so unless there’s a straw, I will spill it all over myself.) I marked a gallon jug with different times of day, so I have mini water goals to reach.

Doing it this way, it’s been pretty easy to stay on top of it.

If you decide to try it, just remember you will retain a LOT of water for the first few days. I could hardly fit into my clothes. By the fifth day or so, you can relax and life is good again. I would also suggest avoiding the scale for the first several days (I may, or may not have learned the hard way).

Today we’re starting day three of the “no screen challenge”. So far, it has been fun! I’m lucky because this week happens to be the nicest ones we’ve had all year.

We’ve done a lot of activities. My little guy has had some fun experimenting with scribbling, and not just on the wall… My daughter and I put together a cute gift for Father’s Day featuring her artwork. My parents gave us some great pots to put our plants in for our patio garden-we got to get our hands dirty! What kid doesn’t enjoy playing in the dirt?

I think the highlight for everybody so far has been playing outside with the hose.

ย My kids live to play in water. I am so thankful this week has been so gorgeous! What are your kids favorite outdoor activities?

The kids haven’t cooked with me yet, but I’m thinking we might this afternoon. I’m brand new at this healthier eating thing, but why not throw in a challenge and bake some cookies? I can test out my new-found self-control. Wish me luck!

Lastly, Monday morning I got a really exciting email that I had been hoping for.

I got invited to the Disney Social Media Moms On the Road conference in Portland! This particular conference is by the same folks that run the huge Disney Social Media Moms conference at Disney World. They tour a few different cities after the big event and it is “an energetic forum where parent influencers and social media enthusiasts meet”. I have never been to a blogging conference and I am so excited and nervous!!

Have you been to a blogging conference before? If you have any pointers for me, please let me know!

• Reply Theresa (Capri + 3)

That cucumber watermelon salad looks so good! I want to reach into my computer screen and try it out. Our kids love to play with water too. Nothing says summer like kids playing in the water.

May 20, 2015 at 7:56 am

It was good! It was so fun outside, I almost felt like a kid again myself!

May 20, 2015 at 8:14 am

That salad looks amazing! I have been slacking on my water drinking.. I need to step it up! SOunds like you are having a blast without any screens!

May 20, 2015 at 8:36 am

Thanks-it was! We/I am just lucky its so nice out! ๐Ÿ˜€

May 20, 2015 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply Tessa

Watermelon, cucumber and feta! I’ve done tomato, cucumber and feta but never watermelon. I’m intrigued. I’ll have to try it!

May 20, 2015 at 10:23 am
  • Reply Jil

That salad looks amazing! I can’t wait for all the summer fruits and veggies. My go-to is still smoothies filled with all kinds of stuff but I also love making energy balls for the kids. They are so filling and you can put so many healthy things in them.
    That conference looks wonderful. That’s so great you get to go! Please share with us some tips you learned. I have been wanting to go to a conference for so long now. They need to come to my city! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I also want to try your water trick. That’s a great way to do it!

May 20, 2015 at 11:08 am

The Cucumber Watermelon salad looks so refreshing! It seems like you are making great progress with your goals. Have fun at the Disney Social Media Moms On the Road conference.

May 20, 2015 at 11:32 am

Congrats on the invite!!! I am sooooo excited for you!!! I love your water jug! It’s cool seeing pictures of everything coming together! I have been meaning to read about your screen-free challenge and will asap! Good job on everything, Mama! You should be proud ๐Ÿ™‚

May 20, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Thank you-I can’t wait! The water jug is seriously the only way that I get through it all! We had a minor hiccup in the screen challenge yesterday, but we’re back on it today! ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you!!

May 21, 2015 at 7:48 am
  • Reply Ana

Oh what a great idea with the water jug! I never thought to break it down by the hour of the day. Definitely want to do it!!

May 20, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Thanks! It’s the only way that has worked for me!

May 21, 2015 at 7:46 am
  • Reply Melissa

I need to do that with my water intake. In fact, I need to get my kids to drink more water too. Sounds like you guys are doing well. That is so neat you get to go to the conference.

May 20, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I need to get my kids to drink more water too. My son gets so mad when I give him water in his sippy cup! Thanks-I’m excited!

May 21, 2015 at 7:59 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I cannot think of a better blog conference than a Disney one. ๐Ÿ™‚ Jealous and also very happy for you!

May 21, 2015 at 7:43 am

Thank you! I’m so excited!!

May 21, 2015 at 7:46 am
  • Reply Colleen @ MommieDaze

DSMM on the Road will be so awesome. I wish they would come to my part of the country someday. I know you’ll have a great time!

May 21, 2015 at 6:44 pm