Memorial Day Fun

Posted in Holidays by

Yesterday after I got both kids down for a nap, it hit me. This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend!! My husband gets three days off and we get to get stuff done around the house hang out as a family!

Memorial Day is an important day in the U.S. It’s a day to honor the men and women lost while serving our country. It seems to me to be a perfect excuse to spend some quality time with family.

After doing a quick search in our area, I found a festival in the nearby navy town, Bremerton. They’re going to have live music, and booths full of local wares, and food. Roasted corn? Don’t mind if I do…

It’s going to be on the boardwalk by the ferry. It has an great view, and they have some really fun fountains to watch. The kids love playing by them in the off chance they’ll get splashed.

These fountains are nothing, however, to the fountains on the opposite side of the ferry dock. The Harborside Fountain Park has “volcano” fountains that erupt water every few minutes.

The best part? The kids can play in the water. It’s only a few inches deep and if they choose to get soaked, they can get close to the fountain when it “erupts.”

Each time we go, my little guy has gotten braver and braver. So far, he just gets wet by sitting down.

The cool thing about the boardwalk in Bremerton, is its free. Need a place to go with the kids so they can use up some energy? Walk along the boardwalk, and finish off at the fountain park!

I hope we have some nice weather because I’m really looking forward to this weekend! Most likely, after we spend time on the boardwalk and in the fountains, we’ll make our way to my folks’ house for a BBQ. (Hear that mom and dad? We’re coming over!) If we’re too full from festival food, we’ll at least have room for some s’mores, because I don’t care how cool the fountains are, or how pretty the water is downtown, nothing can beat this view.

(Photo credit: Pam Rudee)

What are you doing for Memorial Day? Do you have a fountain park or splash pad your kids love?

May 22, 2015

Bremerton looks like a great place to hang out with kids. Have a happy Memorial Day weekend!

May 22, 2015 at 7:53 am

It is! Thank you! You too!!

May 22, 2015 at 7:59 am
  • Reply Courtney P

Looks like great fun! We are headed to the beach for a little R & R. Have a wonderful weekend!

May 22, 2015 at 8:01 am

Oh, the beach sounds like a fantastic idea!! Enjoy!!

May 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm
  • Reply Katrina

I love your photos in this Memorial Day Ideas post! They look great. You are motivating me to get out and do something just for fun and not so productive with my little one. I also love how you have not one but TWO ginger babies. My husband and I are both brunette and wound up with a ginger baby. I’m expecting again, so maybe I’ll get two of a kind 😉 I also love your facebook posts to relevant mommy topics. I read them all the time!

May 22, 2015 at 8:54 am

Thank you! You should! Hopefully the weather will be kind to everyone! Yes, our two ginger babies came as quite a surprise to us too! I’m brunette, my husband is blonde. So funny! Congrats on your little one, that’s so exciting! I hope your pregnancy is treating you well. Thank you so much for the FB love! You are too sweet!!

May 22, 2015 at 1:45 pm

This sounds so cool!!!! I am finding (as you can probably tell for my crazy, sand rant about the west coast) that I really, really daydream of certain places when I think of summer. Birch Bay (close to Bellingham, Seattle Outlets, Whistler, the a interior of BC…. Sigh. This post just reinforced how I miss home. We are so lucky to be where we’re from! Hope you guys have a great Memorial Day weekend! Couldn’t help but actually LOL at your second line, first paragraph. Hopefully you get a nice balance of both 🙂 xo

May 22, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Haha! Thanks! There are a lot of great spots here, and nothing is better than them when the weather is nice! I hope we can find a balance too-so much to do! Lol! Have a great weekend!

May 22, 2015 at 10:24 pm
  • Reply Jil

Sounds like a lot of fun. We don’t see too many boardwalks where I live! ha
    Love your photos, especially the last one. You definitely live in God’s country 🙂

May 22, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much! It really is gorgeous here! I could spend all day long in my parents yard just watching the ferry go by.

May 22, 2015 at 10:25 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop ™ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

Your idea sounds like a lot of fun! We rented a house in the mountains with friends. So far, so good! 😉

May 22, 2015 at 8:17 pm

That’s sounds awesome!! I hope you have a great time!

May 22, 2015 at 10:26 pm
  • Reply Rachel

The Harborside Fountain Park looks AMAZING. I was so excited to read that they allow children to play in the water. Loved your son’s bravery this year, he seemed to have a pretty good spot there. I hope your Mom and Dad got the message about coming for dinner. My favorite parts of these three day holiday weekends is the extra time to spend with my son. Love seeing another family doing the same!

May 24, 2015 at 6:27 pm

It really is amazing. Its even fun just to sit there and watch them. The kids have such a great time! I’ll be getting in on the action next time we go too! They did get the message, we ate at their place today. Haha!! It’s been so much fun having good quality family time! I hope you’re having a blast with your son!

May 24, 2015 at 11:58 pm
  • Reply Brittany

Looks like you had an awesome time 🙂 I’m excited for it to warm up here so we can hit up the splash pads!

May 24, 2015 at 6:34 pm

We love the fountains! We’re looking forward to finding more splash pads in our area as well.

May 24, 2015 at 9:32 pm
  • Reply Debbie (TheJerseyMomma)

The fountains look so cool! My son would love that. I wish we had something like that around here.

May 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm