7 Things that Annoy Me, that I Will Miss One Day

Posted in Parenting by

I adore my children. They are my everything. My world. My 24/7. Even when I’m having a “me” day, I’m still thinking about them.

But there are some things these tiny, adorable creatures of mine do, that make me want to hit my head against the wall repeatedly until I get the sweet relief of unconsciousness.

As irritating as some of their actions are, I know that one day, they’ll be replaced with different annoyances that will make me long for the simpler days of toddler-hood.

Some things my kids do that irritate the shit out of me, that I will miss one day:

1. “Why?” Right now the word “why?” Is the bane of my existence. It’s not only the amount of times per hour that I hear it, it’s also the tone in which its used. I can’t describe it well enough to properly convey why it’s so annoying. Just know, it’s used in the exact same way every time, and it seems as if the kid is saying it just to bug me.

However, when she stops asking questions about every single thing in sight, I’ll be sad because that means she realized mommy doesn’t know everything there is to know. And she will seek her answers elsewhere.

2. “Help” me cook. I love a good helper as much as the next guy, but when helping me cook means sit between my feet while I try to get around the kitchen, I want to just give up and order take-out.

On the other hand, the time will come when I will be begging them to help out with dinner and they will be too busy with their teenage selves to be bothered.

3. Story-time. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE story-time. The only thing that wears on me though, goes back to number one. I appreciate the curiosity and thirst for knowledge, but when it’s bedtime and I’m trying to get through the same story we’ve read for the last month, I want to do just that, read the freaking story.

That said, when story-time is no longer a “thing” in my house, I will remember it fondly and wonder how it went by so quickly, (while crying myself to sleep).

4. They take my stuff. For some reason the food on my plate tastes better. The water from my water bottle is more refreshing. And my brush is much, much cooler.

When they stop taking my stuff, I’ll feel a little less needed. (Even if that doesn’t happen until they are grown and on their own.)

5. Barge in on me while I’m taking a bath. A bath just isn’t relaxing when you have a toddler chatting you up asking if you want their favorite bath toy.

I just want some privacy. A moment or two alone is all I need. But no, they have to come in to see me, because they need me every single second of every single day. Even if it’s just to see that I’m still here, they have to check to make sure.

As irritating as that is, there is nothing sweeter. They love me, and not only are they my everything, I am their everything. That certainly won’t last forever (on their end).

6. Fight for my attention. It usually happens when I really need a breather. You know, when it’s already been a really long day and the only way you are keeping your cool is because you’re envisioning yourself taking a nap on the beach… Whether they’re yelling for my attention at the same time or physically hurting each other to get to me first, this one makes me want to hide in the closet.

(This was supposed to be a photo of the little guy.)

But one day, they won’t care who has my attention because they will be off at the movies with their friends. Sigh.

7. Waking in the middle of the night or waking up way too early (for reference, that means anytime before 7 am). I am so very tired. All the time. My youngest still wakes up at least once a night, then he’s up at dawn. Sleep deprivation does some crazy shit to you.

However, no matter how often my eyes are burning from lack of sleep, I still know that I will miss these days. The middle of the night cuddles. The one on one time in the morning. It’s all priceless and so very precious. Either that, or I’m so tired I don’t know what I like or dislike.

Now, just because I’m able to see the sweeter side of these ridiculous, annoying habits of theirs, doesn’t mean they are any less ridiculous and annoying. It just means I can appreciate what’s behind their actions and know they aren’t actively trying to make me go insane on purpose. They’re being toddlers and they just want to know everything there is to know about the world by existing as close to me as possible.

What have I missed? What makes you nuts right now that you’re sure you’ll miss later?

• Reply Tanya @ Mom's Small Victories

Yes, it is totally my kids fault I cannot sleep past 7:15am anymore. Why does everyone need me as soon as I step foot into the bathroom? I know I will miss some of these things too when my 3 boys are grown and flown.

May 27, 2015 at 7:57 am

I would love to just be able to sleep until 8. That would be fantastic!

May 27, 2015 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Pam

Nailed it-so true-why it’s great you’re appreciating every moment even when annoying. #kidsallgrownup #enjoyinggrandmahood

May 27, 2015 at 8:00 am

Sometimes in the moment it’s not so easy, but it’s funny talking about the things they do. Haha!

May 27, 2015 at 8:38 am
  • Reply Shann

I am with you on every. single. one. I have twin toddlers right now, so I’ll just let you imagine. 🙂

May 27, 2015 at 8:04 am

OMG!! Twin toddlers?! Wow-you are a saint!!

May 27, 2015 at 8:21 am
  • Reply Courtney P

Every single one – YES. Especially the sleep thing. Our daughter is turning 4 in July and STILL wakes up in the middle of the night or either wants to sleep in our bed. I don’t really mind having her sweet body to cuddle up to but I’ll be honest and say that I’ll be glad when my bed is my own again. Great post!

May 27, 2015 at 8:10 am

Thank you! Yes, so, so very tired! One day our kids will be sleeping in with the best of them! I wish my kids liked cuddling in our bed, once they’re up, the insist on staying up. LOL!

May 27, 2015 at 8:23 am

I will be honest, my daughter is grown and I don’t really miss #5 and #7. But I do miss so many things about raising a young child.

May 27, 2015 at 8:20 am

Haha-I can definitely see not missing them too.

May 27, 2015 at 8:27 am

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. When they’re clobbering me, I try and remind myself that there will be a time I rarely touch them and they rarely touch me. It breaks my heart. But when they’re both trying to climb on top of my head, the prospect is hardly a sad one…
    Every single point was perfect through all of this. It couldn’t have been said better!

May 27, 2015 at 9:10 am

Thank you so much Alana! Haha-“when they’re clobbering me.” Exactly!! Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to imagine that I’ll miss certain things, but I know I will. There are things from the infant phase that I miss already but hated at the time.

May 27, 2015 at 9:20 am

I can totally relate to you.. my daughter is two and still wakes up at least once a night.. I am SO SO SO exhausted but I try to take it in stride since I know this time flies by! I loved that photobomb pic.. too funny!!

May 27, 2015 at 9:11 am

I keep telling myself, one day they will want to sleep in every day. And then I’ll have to drag them out of bed for school. So, so tired!…

May 27, 2015 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Amy

Oh girl…you know it! I have two teens that I was excited to get over the little annoying phases and onto the fun stuff. But now I also have two toddlers and am going through it again. A small part of me will miss it, but for me, I look forward to the moments when I am less aggrivated!!

May 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

Oh, wow! You’re a crazy-busy mama! It will probably take awhile for you to miss it, but maybe one day.

May 27, 2015 at 10:44 am
  • Reply Tricia

These are great. I definitely agree with so much attention. It can be overwhelming sometimes, but I know I’ll miss it. I don’t think I’ll ever miss be sleep deprived though! haha

May 27, 2015 at 10:52 am

Yes, true. On second thought, I maybe won’t miss getting up in the middle of the night! 😀

May 29, 2015 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

These are all so true!! I think the times when they just smother you… There are times when I just want to tell them to get off. Really it isn’t so bad and I am glad they want to be near me.

May 27, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Exactly! Sometimes I just want to scream, then I realize, wait…this is sorta sweet.

May 27, 2015 at 5:00 pm
  • Reply Jill

You really got me with the #6 fighting for our attention. I think that is the one I will miss the most. Once they are older and no longer want us to read to them, talk to them or be seen with them , we will really miss that neediness:) I love this post! It is such a great reminder of how (hard) but amazing this time is when our kids are little. I’m going to try to savor it a little more! thanks

May 27, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Exactly! I know I’m going to be so sad when they don’t want me every second! And I’m so afraid it’s going to just happen over-night! Thank you!!

May 29, 2015 at 8:58 pm
  • Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

So true! I think about this all the time… how all these little things that bug me will one day be gone, and I won’t be the center of their universe anymore. And I’ll be sad! It’s all so bittersweet and wonderful and aggravating and perfect all at the same time.

May 28, 2015 at 6:50 am

Exactly! It will be sad, but I’ll also be proud.

May 28, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Hahaha my daughter tries to help me cook all the time!!! It’s the most annoying thing ever and I’m constantly asking my hubby to take her while I cook…. But that only last about 10 seconds before she’s back sitting on my feet again lol….

May 29, 2015 at 5:34 am

Same! My husband takes them for a second, then they’re right back where they were!!

May 29, 2015 at 11:09 am
  • Reply Stephanie

One day I’m going to really miss Connor’s sense of imagination. I know that the real world is gonna snatch it up and before that happens, I’m going to savor every last minute of it.

May 29, 2015 at 9:43 am

Yes! I love my daughter’s imagination! She has just recently started to develop it, its so fun! It will be sad when its gone. I agree, we must savor every minute of it!

May 29, 2015 at 8:54 pm