Birthday Week

Every time a birthday comes around, we all say it. How did the year go by so fast? My little girl gets to celebrate yet another birthday this Friday, and it just makes me wonder. Seriously. Where did the last four years go?

Yesterday we celebrated my mom’s birthday. We had a nice afternoon with family and great food.

And of course there was dessert.  When I was in college, my mom once celebrated her birthday for the whole month of May. She had a bunch of activities every week with different friends. I imagine she had a lot of fun, but what I really remember is she was exhausted. After that, she made the decision to never do that again.

Ever since, she just celebrates her birthday week. (Honestly, who doesn’t? I can justify eating, doing, or not doing anything during my birthday week.)

There is nobody else in my family that has a birthday in May, so by default, it’s my mom’s month.

When I got pregnant with my oldest we couldn’t wait to tell everyone. We wanted to wait until my second trimester until we shared but we only made it to eight weeks. I was so sick all the time, and I am a horrible liar, so we decided to tell our parents.

I feel like it’s important to mention here that up to this point, my mom had become one of those parents that was READY to be a grandparent. You know the type. They send you pictures of babies they just met. Or they do a search on Google for cute baby pictures just so they can send it to you.

Once, to get back at her, I sent her a picture of me holding a baby with the caption, “You wish!”

When I told my mom I was pregnant, she was at a family reunion in Arizona, so I had to tell her over the phone. My due date was late May, so I just said, “I’m sorry mom, you might have to share your birthday month with someone.”

Turns out my girl was born in June, but I’m pretty sure Z’s birth is considered one of my mom’s favorite birthday gifts to date (or at least in her top 5.) My girl is really excited about her birthday this year. She’s been talking about it for a few months. I really want to make it special for her, so we’re going to have play dates, visit with family, bake… On Saturday, we’ll have a family movie night and we’ll eat pizza in front of the TV!!! For some reason, eating downstairs watching TV is her favorite thing to do. I would be willing to bet that we will be watching a Disney princess movie-likely a new one she got for her big day.

What do you do with your kiddos during their birthday week? How did you share the news with your parents that you were expecting?

June 1, 2015

• Reply Bernadette Callahan (@AimlessMoments)

I wake them up at midnight to be the first to tell them Happy Birthday. My mom used to call everyone at that time and I have just adopted that from her. Sadly she passed away so she is not around for the kids birthdays, so be grateful! 🙂
    We usually let the kids pick out what they want to do for their day, go wherever, and they get their presents. i am not huge on throwing parties so I try not to have formal ones but we do have get togethers around those times.

June 1, 2015 at 8:25 am

That sounds like a really fun tradition, and a great way to honor your mom. On Saturday, we’ll let my girl pick something fun to do too. I’m the one that loves throwing parties, my husband does not! So I’m not sure about this year…if we do have one, it will be a joint birthday for both kids at the end of the month.

June 1, 2015 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Melissa

We usually do birthday weeks here. My daughter just celebrated her birthday and I took her to a pottery place one day and then my husband took her rock climbing another. Then we had a family party and a bigger family party a few days later. Happy Birthday to Z! My kids say they want to make those cupcakes…but I don’t think I’m capable of making something so pretty.

June 1, 2015 at 8:54 am

That sounds like so much fun! The pottery and rock climbing sounds awesome! We used to have a rock climbing place close-by, but not anymore. Last year we did a joint birthday party for both kids and it was huge! I want to do it again, but I don’t think my husband is quite sold on the whole idea. Thank you! Haha-I’ve never made cupcakes that pretty either. Not sure how that would go…

June 1, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Your mom sounds like fun. We have a rule that everyone in the family has to say, “Yes” to anything the birthday person requests on their birthday.

June 1, 2015 at 9:29 am

She really is! That’s sounds like a good idea-we should start doing that too!

June 1, 2015 at 9:31 am

Ok cheese and cupcakes?!?! Ummmm both are my favorites…. Sounds like a pretty fabulous birthday to me 😉

June 1, 2015 at 9:38 am

Hahaha, yeah. Doesn’t get much better! There was wine too-just not in the pics.

June 1, 2015 at 9:40 am
  • Reply Emma

Aww, happy birthday to your girl! Their excitement is so contagious at this age. We like to make birthday week special too. We have a countdown where we do something special each day (movie night, etc.) Makes the fun last longer than just one day!

June 1, 2015 at 10:22 am

Thank you! It is so much fun! I love the countdown idea! That sounds like so much fun!

June 1, 2015 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.blogspot.com

I am a fan of birthday week… Especially since there have been siblings around. It is nice to really hone in on what They like for once. It is so easy as kids get older to make everyone happy (compromise) I try to make their birthdays all about Them.

June 1, 2015 at 10:45 am

Exactly my plan for when the kids are older! I love it!

June 1, 2015 at 4:05 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Oh a birthday week sounds like fun! We already have a huge week with my son’s birthday. He was born on our anniversary and my birthday is two days before. So, it’s usually a busy, but fun time. Happy Birthday to your little girl!

June 1, 2015 at 10:55 am

Fun!! So much to celebrate all in one week! Thank you!

June 1, 2015 at 4:04 pm
  • Reply shann

My mom hates her birthday, but my kids love theirs. And she loves theirs too. This year we’re all going to see Thomas the train and staying in a hotel overnight. Hope your daughter enjoys her birthday week!

June 1, 2015 at 11:30 am

That sounds like so much fun!! I can’t wait to hear about it!!

June 1, 2015 at 4:03 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Corter

I always wake him up and wish him a happy birthday, just so I can be the first one to do it! Then we snuggle.

June 1, 2015 at 1:52 pm

That’s a great idea! I love it, it’s so sweet!

June 1, 2015 at 4:03 pm
  • Reply Jill

Don’t you just love how much your mom loves your daughter??! I think that is the best thing about grandparents….it’s someone else who loves your kids as much as you (and doesn’t get sick of pictures and videos of them!)
    side note..Have you seen those Elsa barbie birthday cakes? Maggie and I made her’s for her bday. It definitely looked “homemade” ha ha but it was fun. Anyway, that might be fun for your daughter. It was actually really easy.
    anyway,…just thought I’d share. Sounds like you have a princess lover too!
    Happy Birthday week!

June 1, 2015 at 6:35 pm

I do!! They have such a special relationship. I just love watching them together!
      I haven’t seen them! I’ll have to look into it. Thank you! I’m sure Zoe would love something like that! She is definitely a Disney princess girl! Thank you!

June 1, 2015 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Tessa

How adorable! Also, I’d like to try the month long birthday celebration at least once in my life. January is MY month anyway—no one else’s birthday. We tried to do cutesy things with our announcements. A shirt that says “big sister” to see if anyone noticed and a photo with the ultrasound as a gift.

June 1, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Your mom is gorgeous! So nice that she had such a nice birthday week. My daughter was born six days before my mom on March 31. My mom would agree it was the best bridal present ever too! And, my son was one day before his Oma , go figure. Looks like all of you had fun!

June 4, 2015 at 6:08 am

Thank you-she’ll love you for saying that! 🙂 That’s so cool they were both born close to relatives! It was a lot of fun!

June 4, 2015 at 6:22 am