Disney and Their Princesses

Posted in Toddler by

Can we just talk about the Magic Kingdom for a minute?

Most of us have grown up loving that place, myself included. I always looked forward to their newest animation film. Belle was my favorite because she had brown hair like me, so by default, I looked like her the most (Ha!).

When I was in eighth grade my parents surprised us with a trip to Disneyland.

It was Christmas. My siblings and I always got up really early to open our stockings and sort everyone’s gifts. This particular year, my sister woke us up at 4:30. We usually got up early, but never before 6…something was off. Did I also mention that there didn’t seem to be very many presents under the tree?…

We sat down to open our stocking stuffers and the first one was a wrapped piece of paper. Upon opening it, we found that it was a plane ticket to Orange County. I had never been on a plane before and I was pretty sure Orange County was in California…

That was the only gift we opened that morning because we lived an hour and a half from the airport, and we had a plane to catch!

It was an amazing trip that will never be forgotten.

Now I have my own kids and I am just beside myself waiting until they’re old enough to go. I understand Disney has fun for all ages, but we don’t live close, so our trip will be a major event. Both kids WILL remember their first trip to Disney!

So while we wait, my children get to be immersed in Disney culture.

Can I just give a nice shoutout to the Disney marketing team for a sec? Their ‘Disney Princesses all over everything’ campaign is genius. Being a child of the ’80’s, I’m more likely to show my kids the movies I grew up loving, ‘The Little Mermaid’, ‘Beauty and the Beast’, etc, and of course the newer ones. This mama doesn’t want to miss out on six months of ‘Frozen’ every single day!

But since there are all the princesses plastered on all the things, my smart girl wants to see every single one of them.  Disney and Their Princesses We may have led our girl towards Ariel for her first princess because of her long red hair and her mermaid-like qualities, but now she wants them all. The second she watches a new one, she wants the next one. As hard as I’ve tried to lead her to my favorites, she is loving the oldies. Disney and Their Princesses While watching Cinderella for a month, she talked about Aurora the entire time. We finally got Aurora, and after seeing it for the first time, I asked her what she thought. She said, “I really, really liked it, but my favorite is Belle.”Disney and Their PrincessesOk. So next up is Belle. I told her once she filled out her entire potty chart, as a reward, we could get Belle. Unfortunatly, Belle is not to be found. I believe she is “in the vault” as they say.

So instead, we got ‘The Princess and the Frog’ because Miss Z was talking about Tiana a bit too. It’s fantastic, by the way. I’m sure it would be scary for some, but apparently its not for my 2 and 4 year olds.

I love how the newer Disney movies have such great messages (unlike Sleeping Beauty-“I’ll give her the gift of beauty.” Really? Seriously??)

What I’ve learned as a mom of a Disney Princess obsessed toddler, is that the movies have a great message and they have a lot of funny little things that are easy to miss. You know, if you only watch it once. If you watch each one as many times as I have, you become an expert on the idiosyncrasies of ‘Pascal.’ Disney and Their Princesses
What’s your favorite Disney movie? What about your kiddos? Are they Princess obsessed or have you gotten to watch some of the other greats like ‘The Lion King’?

• Reply Krystal

My family loves the Disney princesses, too! Amazing marketing but we just embrace the good lessons that can be learned!

June 3, 2015 at 7:42 am

Absolutely! It’s nice the movies are enjoyable for the parents too, I love them almost as much as my girl. πŸ™‚

June 3, 2015 at 8:25 am

I remember when my daughter went through her princess phase. It looks like your daughter is ready for that trip to Disney!

June 3, 2015 at 8:19 am

Haha! I think you’re right!

June 3, 2015 at 8:25 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

To say V has a favorite would be a lie… She loves about every movie we have seen. Lately she has been on a Meredith phase from brave. I am a fan because it is a story about the love of a mother and daughter. A nice change to the normal Prince Princess theme.

June 3, 2015 at 9:34 am

That is a good one! My daughter saw Brave several months ago and she really liked it. I think we’ll have to revisit it because you’re right, it’s a nice change.

June 3, 2015 at 9:47 am
  • Reply Keisha Gardner

My little girl adores all things princess! She enjoys a variety of types of kids movies, but having a three year old brother may be helping balance that. They both get their dosage of the stereotypical shows from each gender. πŸ™‚ Her favorites are Aurora and Cinderella. She has the dolls and snuggles them every night. πŸ™‚ Your daughter is adorably precious!

June 3, 2015 at 9:53 am

Thank you! Sounds like our girls would get along just fine! Haha!

June 3, 2015 at 10:09 am

Mila is all about Elsa and anna! I agree with all the little things you catch as you watch Disney movies again and again.. I actually never get sick of Frozen and we have watched it too many times to count! A friend of mine who has two daughters told me to enjoy every moment of the ‘princess’ stage.. she says while it may feel like it will last forever, it really goes away too quickly! Now I always think of that..

June 3, 2015 at 10:45 am

Ah, yes! I love Frozen too. So far, the only one I got tired of was Cinderella-just because its so slow… I’m loving this stage! It makes me sad knowing it won’t last forever!!

June 3, 2015 at 10:19 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Oh I love all the Disney stuff! We normally would have waited to take my son until he was older, but my youngest brother was doing an internship down there and so we got discounted tickets. We had such an amazing time. I think we’ll wait a little longer now, but I seriously can’t wait to go back.

June 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

What a great opportunity! We would have jumped on that too! I am started to get really antsy to go!

June 3, 2015 at 11:23 am
  • Reply Melissa

As you probably know, we are Disneyland spoiled because its only an hour away. My daughter has about five crowns and 10 Disney princess shirts.

June 3, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Aaaaaaahhhhhh!! So jealous! That is so awesome!!

June 3, 2015 at 10:17 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

Well, I have 2 boys but they do like Elsa and Anna! BTW, your daughter makes an adorable princess Anna! I think my favorite Disney movie is Finding Nemo!

June 3, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much!! Nemo is the first movie my daughter was obsessed with! We practically watched it everyday the entire time I was pregnant with my son. Then somewhere along the way, she discovered the princesses.

June 3, 2015 at 10:16 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop β„’ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

I totally agree about the magic of Disney! It makes me a bit sad that we have passes (since we live in LA), and my kids won’t get to experience it the way you (or I) did!

Both my older kids love Disney, ALL the movies. We can’t find the Lion King, though!!

June 3, 2015 at 7:22 pm

It must be back in the vault! Hopefully it will re-release soon! You have passes?! That is so freaking awesome! I can’t wait to go again!

June 3, 2015 at 7:52 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

We watch Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 weekly! My son is obsessed and I actually like them myself so it makes for a easy afternoon to cuddle and watch a movie together.

June 4, 2015 at 4:05 am

I love movie/cuddle time! I actually just yesterday started talking to my daughter about Toy Story to see if she’d be interested. I think my son would really love it!

June 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I feel like I wrote this myself. We went to Disneyland when I was in grade six. My daughter asks at least once a week if she can go to Disney, but we will wait until they’re old enough to remember too. So I use it as an excuse for her to eat her veggies so she can grow tall enough, lol. We have many Disney princess items and I can’t help but feel a microscopic twinge of jealousy we didn’t have such cool merchandise growing up! Belle was one of my favourites for the same reason as you, but I will be honest, I YEARNED for red hair because of Ariel. So much so I actually remember one summer we were away for vacation in Washington (we always went there in the summer), we were at church, and I sat there FIXATED on a girl who looked like Z because I thought she was so beautiful. Lol. Angelina is on an Aurora and Rapunzel kick right now. And, Angelina earned a Rapunzel doll for getting stickers on her potty chart. See? Basically the same story, only slightly different. I’ll stop rambling now.
    I seriously love Disney!!!

June 4, 2015 at 6:17 am

OMG!!! That is so funny-your entire comment! So similar! I may have to steal the veggies idea for growing tall enough to go to Disney-what better reason to eat them?! Haha! I miss Z’s Rapunzel kick (it lasted a really long time!), because she’s one of my favorites! Although, I do really like Tiana-but I’m so surprised her movie doesn’t scare my kids. So funny about Belle too! And the doll for the sticker chart?! Stop it!! This all is just cracking me up!! I love Disney too, and I didn’t realize how much until I had kids!

June 4, 2015 at 6:29 am
  • Reply Courtney P

Princess fever is at an all time high in our home right now. As a matter of fact, all my daughter will wear are dresses because, “I’m a princess!” Her father and I really enjoy the movies as well because there’s always an adult component to them that’s enjoyable. Cute post!

June 4, 2015 at 7:25 am

Thank you! It’s so much fun! I never thought I would enjoy the princess phase. It is so nice the movies are entertaining for the parents too!

June 4, 2015 at 7:36 am
  • Reply Brittney

I love the Disney princess movies, and am so excited to share them with my daughter as she gets older. She’s only five months old now, but I’m sure in the next year or two she will become obsessed! My son is two and also likes most Disney movies including a few princess ones like Frozen, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. I can’t wait to take our kids to Disneyland once they are old enough. My husband and I are from Southern California so we grew up going a lot and have so many wonderful memories there! πŸ™‚

June 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm

It has been so much fun! I love the princess phase! My son loves Frozen so much-he loves the music! I’ve only been twice, but I loved it so much!

June 4, 2015 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply Emma

We have an Elsa fan here – she can say the Frozen movie word for word pretty much, lol!

June 4, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Hahaha! And what about you? Can you say it word for word too? LOL!

June 4, 2015 at 11:52 pm
  • Reply Jenny

Oh man, Z is all about Disney as well… well she comes by it honestly, I LOVE disney! Right now her favorite is Aladdin, but before that it was Wall-e, and Beauty and the Beast… well all of them really. I think I miss Disneyland more than my family sometimes… I know that sounds callous, but there is no drama or bad days at Disneyland. πŸ™‚

June 5, 2015 at 5:46 am

I love Aladdin! It’s so frustrating because half of the movies Z (I) want is not available. I need to start looking on EBay for some Disney movies! Hahahaha!!!! That’s so funny-makes sense though!

June 5, 2015 at 9:09 am