Mama Improvement Project: Mental Health Day (or Hour)

As parents, we are pushed to our limits daily. The kids always have to be entertained, kept safe, and fed. All the while, they are making messes, whining about God knows what this time as they’re throwing food on the floor.Β

Sometimes we need a mental health day (or hour). It’s okay, It’s allowed. Weekends are great for that. But sometimes, we really, really need a mid-week break. A bit of time to do something just for yourself.

Enter nap time.

Nap time is generally the time we get stuff done. At least I do. I run around the house like a crazy person trying to get as much done as I can during the unknown amount of time the kids will nap. I exercise in there ifΒ possible, but the last few weeks, my youngest has been waking up right as I finish. Do you ever go to the gym and then carry on with your day? Without a shower? Last week, I had to wait several hours for my shower three days in a row. So.Gross.

As for housework, there is always something to do. Even if you’ve already put toys away, dinner is cooking, and laundry is done, you could still shampoo the carpet (or wax the wood floor if you like). The point is, there is ALWAYS something to do.

Yesterday, there was plenty on my to-do list, but I just felt so worn down. I know it was only Tuesday, but for some reason, I was extra tired. So I decided to take some “me time” while the kids napped.Mental Health DayInstead of cleaning, doing laundry, or even blogging, I took a bubble bath (with the kids’ bubbles-you know you’ve done it too!). Then, with the time remaining, I took a nap. And you know what? I deserved it. And I felt incredible afterwards! I was able to take a moment for myself and give my head a reboot and now I’m ready to tackle the rest of the week.

So, go ahead! Do something for you the next time you get a chance!

Once the kids are awake and you have some things that need to get done, throw a cup or two of oatmeal on the kitchen floor and let the kids have at it! It’s just a quick sweep up and you’re done-and the kids love it!

She wasn’t gathering the oatmeal to be tidy, she was gathering it so she could dump it on her brother’s head. #siblinglove

Also, don’t forget to ditch the mom guilt. It’s not real “me time” unless you’re truly only thinking about yourself.

When was the last time you took some time for yourself?

June 17, 2015

That sounds awesome!! Good for you for taking time to yourself!

June 17, 2015 at 7:45 am

It was so nice. Today I’m back to it! πŸ˜€

June 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I used to wait impatiently for nap time. I wanted to get chores done. Fortunately, my husband encouraged me to stop stressing about chores. He probably liked it better when I was rested and not grumpy. πŸ™‚

June 17, 2015 at 8:00 am

Same here. Even down to the husband telling me to stop stressing. πŸ™‚

June 17, 2015 at 8:11 am
  • Reply Tessa

We all do need an hour or day to ourselves! It’s funny the things we do to get some time too. I also just let my kids make a mess of some things simply because it’s a good distraction and I can easily clean it. I like the oatmeal idea!

June 17, 2015 at 8:39 am

I know! I never thought I would actually want to distract my kids with a mess! It’s so much fun for them though!

June 17, 2015 at 9:32 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith

Mommy guilt is a very real thing. And naps, guilty pleasure for sure! I’m amazed these days at how much just a few minutes of my own thing can refresh me. A good reminder for us all.

June 17, 2015 at 10:15 am

Its so true! Sometimes all we need is a few minutes, then we can get back to it!

June 17, 2015 at 12:59 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop β„’ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

ROCK THAT NAP! πŸ™‚ I drink too much coffee in the a.m. to actually nap when the baby does πŸ™ But I’m definitely going to try the oatmeal game!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Oh, yes! Coffee would do it for me too. I hope your kiddos like the oatmeal! πŸ˜€

June 18, 2015 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply Shann

A bubble bath and a nap sound like heaven! Love the oatmeal idea. My kids would go crazy. In a good way.

June 17, 2015 at 5:01 pm

It was really nice! If you try it, let me know how it goes! πŸ˜€

June 18, 2015 at 1:53 pm
  • Reply Jill

Oh your me-time break sounded heavenly. Good for you! Of course you deserve it. I was almost nodding while reading about how there is ALWAYS something to do. so true.
    Your oatmeal activity is genius! I won’t even need to throw any oatmeal down. They can play with the old food that’s already down there πŸ™‚ haha

June 17, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Hahaha!! Gross! My break was really nice! Now for some cleaning. πŸ˜€

June 18, 2015 at 1:54 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

I have a block of time scheduled for “me” time on the 27th and I couldn’t be more excited!

June 17, 2015 at 6:34 pm

That’s awesome! I love it when its scheduled, because then you can look forward to it! Enjoy!

June 18, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Ughhh my daughter stopped taking naps like a year ago -_- went from 3 hours I would have during the day to get stuff done and relax a bit to nothing! It sucked at first because I never had any break, but now when hubby gets home from work he will take on toddler duty for a bit so I can take a minute to myself!

June 18, 2015 at 7:28 am

Oh, no! I keep thinking that any day now, my kids will stop at the same time. That’s cool your husband give you some time now!

June 18, 2015 at 1:55 pm