My Response to the Multi-Kid Shopping Cart PSA

Some of you may have read the article “PSA: Multi-Kid Shopping Carts Are For Families With More Than One Kid” on Scary Mommy regarding the car carts at the grocery store.

As the title states, the author feels that those carts are for people with multiple kids. If you have one kid in tow, back away from the fun cart.multi-kid shopping cartWhen I had one kid, I absolutely used that cart. Because, surprise, she loved it. It’s awesome and it kept her distracted for a good portion of the shopping trip.

Now I have two kids. If there aren’t any fun carts to choose from, you know what I do? I adapt. I’m a mom, that’s number one in my job description.

After being in and out of the trenches of motherhood daily, we eventually learn to make things work.

Do I always have a tissue on me when my kid has a runny nose? No. I’ve used my hand a time or two out of desperation. I would much rather a bit of discomfort on my hand than my kid eating their snot. See what I did there? I figured it out.

When my kids have long nails and they need to be cut but they have been traumatized by the clippers? I bite them off. There. Fixed it.

So when I’m at the store, I grab whatever cart is available, stick the smaller kid in the basket, and the bigger kid in the cart. Problem solved.

A friend of mine told me what she does with her four kids. One in the cart, one in the basket, one in a sling, the other one walks. And my favorite part? They only get to use the cool carts if they’re behaving!

So, is it okay to be irritated if there aren’t any of those carts for you to use? Absolutely! But it’s not fair to expect a potentially only child to miss out on a fun childhood memory.

You’re a mom. Figure it out. Adapt.

What do you think? Did you use the multi-kid carts when you had one child?

• Reply Kassi

I literally just used a multi-kid cart the other day with my daughter at Wal-Mart. Not the cool driving ones but the ones with more seats in the back. Because she saw it, climbed on and wanted to try it. So we did. I didn’t even think about not using it so someone else could… my bad I guess. hahaha

June 19, 2015 at 7:18 am

Hahaha! I would have used it. Anything to distract the kid. πŸ™‚

June 19, 2015 at 7:51 am

What a great mom you are. Not everyone can “figure it out. adapt” It’s an important skill of parenthood.

June 19, 2015 at 7:26 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

I totally agree with you on this one! They didn’t make those carts just for the multi kid family! They are just so damn bulky that they had to add a second seat!! I never use them because I constantly run into everything, but my husband puts our one little one in there when he goes.

June 19, 2015 at 7:27 am

Hehehe I only have one kid but my daughter insist on using the cart every time. Keeps her quiet the whole time so I just go with it lol. Honestly I will purposely try and do all my shopping at wegmans because of the cart and it keeping my daughter quiet lol…. The store always has plenty of them so I never really gave it any thought.

June 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

I totally agree with you.. moms need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and just ADAPT!

June 19, 2015 at 10:32 am

Haha! YES! Thank you!!

June 19, 2015 at 10:48 pm
  • Reply Natasha

I think,..who cares, it’s shopping carts! Should they even register on the first world problem list…nope! I’m with you, moms gotta adapt and roll with it!

June 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Yes, I totally did not get that post! It seemed really petty. I didn’t even think about it being only for families with more than one child. I say it’s first come first serve. Honestly, even if I did have more than one kid, I might not want to push one of those things around because they are so difficult to maneuver!

June 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

Exactly! If I have all three kids with me, and there’s no big carts, we take a stroller, one walks, and I just get what I can. Honestly, it’s never been a problem, but if I really needed one, I wouldn’t be shy about asking someone to switch. If it were me, and someone asked, i would gladly give it up. Moms should be helping moms!

June 19, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I absolutely agree! I wouldn’t think twice to give up the big cart!

June 19, 2015 at 5:53 pm
  • Reply Terri's Thoughts

they need carts that kids can push us parents in, but that is a good idea you had up there with the water bottle, haha

June 19, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Hahaha! That’s a great idea! I would love to be the one being pushed around!

June 19, 2015 at 10:46 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

I sure did use it when I had 1 kid! And I would do it again! πŸ™‚

June 20, 2015 at 5:19 am

I would too! πŸ˜€

June 21, 2015 at 12:26 am
  • Reply Rachel

Well said & thank you. I like the idea of the fun cart being a treat. I also agree that because I’m unable to have more kids, I would want my child missing out on something fun. Thank you for speaking up.

June 21, 2015 at 3:09 am

Absolutely! Every kid deserves to have fun in the awesome cart.

June 24, 2015 at 9:00 pm
  • Reply Megan@SensitiveMommy

I totally agree with you! If you can’t get a cute cart improvise. I have no shame is singing “wheels on the bus” or Chuggington theme song to make a plain old cart a fun experience with no tears.

June 21, 2015 at 4:13 am
  • Reply Melissa

Funny because I hardly ever used the double car cart when I had two kids but now that my daughter is in school (when I usually go to the store), my son likes to go in the car cart so we do. I suppose if I saw a parent with three or more kids coming into the store, I might ask if he/she wanted it but if there is no one around, I take it.

June 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Same here. If I saw someone with more kids, I would offer it to them, but nobody around? I would use it!

June 24, 2015 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply Marla

Ummm… Yes. In my opinion, you are spot on. πŸ™‚ I think it’s safe to say, as mom’s we can share the fun carts and take turns! ha But really, great post!

June 22, 2015 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life

totally agree with you! it’s kind of a first come first served thing, no? do what ya gotta do, mama! I’m with you πŸ™‚

June 23, 2015 at 7:46 am

Thanks! That’s what I’m thinking!

June 24, 2015 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply Nicole Keener

I absolutely agree with you. I only have one but there are times where she is sitting in the cart like I used to do as a kid. I have no problem with that at all. I know I am responsible and keep my eye on my child. However there are people in this world that don’t

June 26, 2015 at 10:48 am
  • Reply theantelopediaries

I never used these carts because I find the single carts more convenient, and my daughter is drawn to the smaller carts anyway. I was absolutely astonished at the tone of Ms. Guido’s post. Sounds like she was having a hard day and finding someone to blame- in this case, mom’s of onlies. Reminds me of an editorial I read once about a woman advocating designated parking spots for people with children so they could park closer to the supermarket. Even conversing about this shows how privileged we are compared to women in other countries carrying water on their heads and children on their backs.

July 7, 2015 at 6:20 pm
  • Reply Lisa

What a bizarre rant that was about backing the hell away from the multi-kid carts. It’s like saying single people have to ride mopeds and unicycles.

In any case as a mama of four kids sometimes I get the car cart sometimes I don’t. That’s when I fall to the ground screaming at the injustice of it all before hauling my kids back to the car without any groceries. We group sob all the way home about how life and the world in general should fit itself to our needs. Damn those people with only one kid and their carefree shopping.

Sometimes of course I just do the shopping.

July 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I can’t stop laughing! You made my day!

July 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I have Irish twins. So I can put my one year-old in the basket, and when I put my two-year-old in the cart – she pokes holes in the bread and throws things out of the car. I am a mom who is irritated by parents with a single child, especially if they are too old, using the multichild cart. I would never do it if I had one child at the store.
    I just think it’s a sign of courtesy to leave them for parents with multiple young children.

May 12, 2016 at 12:19 pm