Raspberries Everywhere

Last Saturday I got to get away and spend the night at my aunt’s house in the woods. My mom, sister, aunt, cousin, and I get together every year to bake Christmas cookies. It occurred to us last year that it’s the only time we really see each other, so we thought we would remedy that.

My aunt recently bought a home in the woods on a creek (or river, it was pretty low, being summer and all). I finally got to see her new place and spend some time with nature.

Before we got to her house, we went to a nearby raspberry farm. We had such a great time! I love hunting and gathering anything, so I was enjoying every second. Raspberry Picking(Photo credit: Kelly Nortrom)

There were four of us picking and I think by the end, we had nearly 20 pounds of berries! In my box, I had 5 pounds for just me and my little family.

After picking, we went to the darling house in the woods. We sat by the river and washed our feet. It was such a great, relaxing feeling! Picking was certainly fun, but it was hot, and dusty!standing in the river(Photo credit: Kelly Nortrom)

So now, here I am, with a LOT of raspberries. It’s been a few days, but we’ve already had fun making some delicious things with them.Raspberries EverywhereFor the girls’ night dessert, my cousin and I, (mostly my cousin), made Raspberry Maguire, (Its a recipe made with blackberries, but it worked perfectly with raspberries, too). I had never heard of it, but I am always down for a new dessert, even if it doesn’t involve chocolate.

It looks like a raspberry stuffed cinnamon roll, but its not nearly as sweet. Raspberry Maguire(Photo credit: Pam Rudee)

We ended up putting vanilla bean ice cream and whipped cream on top. I will be making this again in the near future.

The next day was Sunday and we always gather at my parents’ house for Sunday Dinner.

My husband and the kids met up with us at my parents’ house. My girl was pretty indifferent when she saw me, but my little guy burst into tears. I know this should make me feel bad, (maybe it did a little), but it was also a bit of an ego boost. mother and sonDoes that make me a bad person? He didn’t leave my side for quite some time. #smittenmama

For dessert that night, I thought I would try my blackberry crisp recipe with raspberries. It was so delicious!! We had ice cream, whipped cream, and a drizzle of chocolate on top.

Once we finally got home from the busy weekend, I had to have a game plan for the rest of my bounty. I decided to keep a few for snacking, but then froze the rest. I have two 1-gallon bags in the freezer full of berries. I’m excited to bake something new with them, and maybe even make some freezer jam. But I am mostly excited for the delicious smoothies in my future.

Since I felt a twinge of guilt for picking berries without the kids, my cousin was kind enough to let us visit her place to pick some of her berries. My son lost interest immediately, but my girl enjoyed it for a bit.Picking Raspberries From that trip we got almost a cup. Haha!!

I’m pretty proud of myself because none of the berries will be wasted. I picked a lot and they have all been used or prepped for use already. This is something new to me that I have really been working on. I hate to see food go to waste.

Next month, it’s blueberry season and I can’t wait! We have several blueberry parks close-by. I may have to leave the kids with daddy again so I can focus on picking.

Have you ever had Raspberry Maguire? What do you like to make with raspberries? Or any type of berry, for that matter! I would love to try something new! Thanks so much for stopping by!

What a fun time picking berries. It brings back memories of visiting my husband’s grandfather and going berry picking in the summer.

July 1, 2015 at 10:29 am

It is so fun! Whenever I pick blackberries, I get flashbacks of picking with my grandmother.

July 3, 2015 at 8:18 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Oh that sounds like such a great time! I love picking fresh fruit. My son is a big raspberry fan too. He likes putting them on his fingers before eating them. That raspberry roll looks delicious.

July 1, 2015 at 10:46 am

Hahaha! I’m surprised my daughter hasn’t done that yet! She loves them too. It was so good-I couldn’t believe how much I liked it!

July 3, 2015 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

You know, we’ve never picked raspberries! We’ve gone apple picking, though, and the kids loved it, so I bet they’d like picking berries. Sounds like we need to give it a try!

July 1, 2015 at 11:38 am

You should! Raspberries are fun and good for the kiddos because they aren’t as vicious as blackberries. Somebody always gets home with a ton of scratches with the blackberries.

July 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm
  • Reply Jaya Pandey

Looks like baking Christmas cookies is turning into a family tradition and how good is that. I would love to do dat wid my mom and aunts but they r pretty far away. However we always had a kitchen garden when I was a kid and picking veggies and fruits from d garden was one of my favorite activity. Even today, I enjoy it. So undoubtedly picking berries, apples etc is something I love. I even pack a picnic lunch everytime we go to a farm to pick up d fresh produce. Its so much fun. Kudos to you for using up all of it.

July 1, 2015 at 12:16 pm

It’s been a tradition for about 40 years (they started before I was born). So much fun! And I absolutely love picking berries and veggies, etc. I only really picked blackberries growing up, but now I’m want to pick everything!

July 3, 2015 at 8:21 pm
      • Reply Jaya Pandey

A tradition for 40 years! How cool is that. I love family traditions. Gives a sense of unity and togetherness.

July 4, 2015 at 12:03 pm
  • Reply Kimberly F

Sounds like a great weekend! I am jealous (and I really want to wash my feet in that creek too- it looks so refreshing)! What a good idea to do a little girls get together with your mom and aunt! I would definitely use some of those raspberries on a fruit pizza!

July 1, 2015 at 5:27 pm

It was so great! We had so much fun! A fruit pizza is a great idea! I’ve never made one before! Thanks!!

July 5, 2015 at 8:08 am
  • Reply Jill @ Maggie May's

Oh, your weekend in the woods sounded amazing…and 5 lbs of raspberries on top of that is just a bonus! 🙂 Love it! Don’t trips like that make you want to live on a farm and grow all your own food?! 🙂

July 1, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Haha! It does, actually! I would love to be able to live off the land!

July 5, 2015 at 8:12 am
  • Reply Shann Eva

That looks like so much fun! And yum…I want some of that Raspberry Maguire.

July 1, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I want some more already! It was so delicious!

July 3, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I’ve never heard of Raspberry Maguire but it looks sooooo good! Especially with the ice cream and whipped cream. Raspberries are bare none my favourite berry, if not fruit. The idea of heading out, sans kids to pick berries sounds sooooooooo relaxing. I mean you could HEAR yourself think?!?!? I’m jealous.

July 2, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Bar* none

July 2, 2015 at 4:58 pm

It was delicious!! I’ll probably make again next week so my husband can try it. It was such a relaxing evening away. It was difficult getting out of “mom mode” though because I kept thinking “what are the kids doing?” “Time for bed!” And other silly things. Sitting by the creek helped a lot. Haha!

July 3, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply Jenny

Oh man, I am drooling from the thought of your yummy raspberry recipes! What a special time! Looks like lots of fun!

July 3, 2015 at 8:23 am

I want to make the crisp again already! I was so fun!

July 3, 2015 at 8:15 pm
  • Reply Kelly

I just made your raspberry crisp and I can’t wait to try it! I made one slight change;I added a tablespoon of vanilla sugar (it was a homemade gift that I was given and hadn’t found something to make with it yet) that I added to the raspberry mixture. We’ll see how it turns out!

July 4, 2015 at 11:10 am

Vanilla sugar? That sounds delicious! How was it in the crisp?

July 5, 2015 at 8:11 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

I love picking fresh fruit and that tart looks and sounds amazing!!!

July 7, 2015 at 7:33 am

I do too, it can be so therapeutic! It was, I need to make it again!

July 7, 2015 at 12:52 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

What a delicious way to use berries!! I usually freeze a ton to use in smoothies for our little guy. But baked goods sound so much better!

July 7, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Yes!! Frozen berries are perfect! Even plain they’re a great snack when its hot outside!

July 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply Mama By Fire - Blackberry Crisp - Mama By Fire

[…] my Grandma’s recipe, but it was still pretty freaking good! And it also works great with raspberries or […]

August 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm