The Playground Blues

We’ve been in our “new” home for nearly a year. We live within 40 minutes of our entire family on both sides, (except my sister, she’s an hour away). We see my parents every Friday (date night), and every Sunday, (Sunday family dinner).

My father in law usually visits us once a week. Some days I get a chance to take a solo trip to the grocery store. Other days, we all go out together. We have our favorite parks we frequent, but we know there are several more to explore. We just have to find them.

Yesterday he visited, but he decided to try a different route to get to our place. His phone ended up taking him to an empty field. As he was finding his way to our house, he stumbled upon a playground. From there, he eventually made it to us. It turns out, he was 20 minutes out of the way. Thanks Google Maps!

We decided to have an adventure and go back to the park he found.

Aside from the crispy yellow grass, the park was beautiful! There were only a few kids at the playground, part of it was in the shade, and it was right next to a lake. Honestly, it was my dream park!

My girl has never been a very social person. Usually when we go to a park, she plays by herself and she’s as happy as a clam. On occasion, she’ll latch on to an older kid and float in their bubble for as long as they’re willing to let her.

Today there was a little girl about her age. Miss Z didn’t say a word, but they hit it off right away. The girl was chatty enough for the both of them.

Then it happened. The girl’s mom started to leave. So, in the middle of playing, she ditched. Not even a “good-bye,” (I suppose she is only 4).

Z was crushed. She didn’t understand why she had to go. In true toddler form, she asked “why?” repeatedly. Finally she gave up, and started playing by herself. As she usually does. It was a sad moment for me because she was having such a great time, then she was shot down right before my eyes. I know this happens all the time. This was just the first time I experienced it with my kid.

As for my little guy, he was fixated on that lovely lake. He is a full-on sprinter when it comes to getting into any form of water.

Grandpa and I took turns catching him before he got soaked. Each time, he had a huge fit. Then he would try again. A two year old on a mission is no joke. He was so incredibly strong and squirmy! At least I got a good workout in! We’ll certainly go swimming in the lake soon. But when we do, we’ll have swim suits, life jackets for the kids, and a shit ton of sunscreen.  Both kids had a fantastic time, but they each got to experience their own version of the ‘Playground Blues.’ They certainly don’t always get their way, but in this particular case, it was magnified for both of them.

There are so many places to visit and discover in our area and it was great to get a reminder! I’m so thrilled to have found this place! So I’ll say it again, Thanks Google Maps!!

Do you like to venture out and explore new parks with your kids? Have you been to all of them in your area?

July 9, 2015

What a wonderfuk find and how lucky the kids are to have their relatives close by!

July 10, 2015 at 7:27 am
  • Reply Jill @ Maggie May's

It’s so hard watching your kids experience sadness and disappointment. The only nice part is to see how resilient they are. It usually bothers them less than it bothers us 🙂

July 10, 2015 at 7:34 am

You’re exactly right! Her expression made my heart break, but she was over it in a minute!

July 12, 2015 at 10:06 am
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop ™ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

Gorgeous place! I stopped going to the park by the lake near us, since my kids would always run in that direction, and my heart couldn’t take the panic! 🙂

I’m so envious that you have so much family close by! You and your kids are lucky!!

July 10, 2015 at 8:04 am

Yeah, they’re really fast when they want to be!
      We are very lucky! I’m reminded all the time.

July 10, 2015 at 8:13 am
  • Reply Theresa

That park is gorgeous! The lake scenery is really relaxing. I loved your poignant story about your daughter’s sadness when her new playmate left without a word. It is so hard to see your children hurt, even for a moment!

July 10, 2015 at 8:12 am

I know! I’m envisioning picnicking and relaxing by the lake.
      Thank you! It was so sad. Luckily kids are so resilient so she was able to move on and enjoy the rest of our stay.

July 10, 2015 at 8:17 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

oh the many different experiences to have at the park… At least the little girl was playing nice. At our neighborhood park there are many different ranges of kids you will find. The bossy kids that just tell your kid what to do all of the time. The kids that are scared to do anything . The kids that are too big for their britches that make you want to come packing soap in your pocket…. The list can go on and on lol. It is sweet she made a little friend, even if only for the afternoon.

July 10, 2015 at 9:55 am

Oh HOW MUCH I can relate to all of this. In our new home we have a park about 1.5 blocks from us. It is filled with kids. Two days ago, My 3yo paired up with a girl who quickly told her, “my mom says I have to go so I can’t play with you.” Meanwhile the girl stayed there longer than we did. Angelina was a bit miffed. My heard broke a bit/ silently willed the mom to correct her daughter or the girl to eventually make her way to mine. But neither happened… I didn’t foresee playground “politics” (I use this loosely) already and I didn’t foresee my own sensitivity.
    In terms of the water, we were at a family function where there was a baby pool last night. My nicely dressed son could not resist the urge to throw a ball in the pool and (almost) go face first to get it. Over and over and over again. Seriously, kid. Why?!?

July 11, 2015 at 5:12 pm
  • Reply Melissande

That park looks amazing! Lots of space – and that lake! What a perfect place to go in the summer. I’m sorry your daughter got ditched in the middle of playing. My little girl is always so incredibly bummed out when she isn’t able to play with a friend. I can only imagine she was crushed. 🙁

July 11, 2015 at 5:35 pm
  • Reply theantelopediaries

We’ve been in our place for almost a year and I haven’t gone to all the parks in my area. I hope Miss Z meets that little girl again.

July 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Haha omg! Whenever I find an empty park it’s like a dream come true for me! We live in a strange area where me being 33 and having a toddler, I mind as well be 100 since girls seem to have kids in HS around here so the moms are always 10+ years younger than me lol… So I dread the popular parks and listening to all the barely legal girls taking about night clubs & the word I hate the most “baby daddy” drama in front of the kids… This park looks like a dream and so pretty! I love anything by water :):)

July 13, 2015 at 7:08 am

I hate the popular parks so much!! This one is truly my dream come true. Next time, we’re going swimming

July 13, 2015 at 8:57 am
  • Reply Megan@SensitiveMommy

The playground sounds great.we have the same problem at playgrounds.

July 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
  • Reply Rebekah @ Surviving Toddlerhood

Hmm, I think we have been to most of the parks in our area. We definitely have favorites and those are the ones nearest the river or a lake nearby. Water always makes the playground better. Do you have puddle jumpers for your littles? I bet your son would love one.

July 13, 2015 at 11:49 am

Water definitely makes it so much cooler! We don’t have puddle jumpers. What are they?

July 13, 2015 at 12:32 pm