Sunday Family Dinner

Several weeks ago, we started a tradition in my family. Every Sunday, we gather at my parents’ house for Sunday dinner. It’s a lot of fun because it brings us all together, (what brings people together better than food?), and we all help out in one way or another.

Having a weekly dinner with my family can be a challenge because we’re all so different. Half the time some of us have to compromise so the others can enjoy what’s on the menu. Or we just end up making extra sides.

My dad and brother are the “foodies” of the family. They would be thrilled to have ox-tail soup with a side of foi gras. Their ideal meal takes 3 hours to prep, 5 to cook, and about 10 minutes to eat.

My husband and I like to try new things. However, I have a line I won’t cross (no bone marrow for me, thanks.) If we had our way, dinner would take no longer than an hour to prep and cook, and it would be filling and delicious.

My sister usually helps with whatever we make and she is a little adventurous, but also timid. She wanted to try lobster once but her lobster turned out to be female. One look at the eggs and she was out.

My mom, well, she tries. Her palate is the least adventurous of all. She is happy with salt and pepper as the only seasoning. That’s not to say she doesn’t enjoy good food. She does. As long as the meat is thoroughly cooked and she doesn’t have to touch bone or shell, she’s down.

The kids get stuck with whatever we make and they will either eat it or end up having a late night PB&J. I’m a big fan of feeding the kids the same foods we eat. Our rule is they have to try two bites, and if they don’t like it, they don’t have to eat it. At four years old, my daughter is a pretty adventurous eater and I couldn’t be prouder. Don’t get me wrong, she has her picky moments too, but she  was more than willing to try freshly dug clams a few months ago, (it also helped that she did some of the digging).

With this mix of likes and dislikes, we have fun searching for a middle ground. One thing we always tend to agree on though is dessert. All of us except my husband, sometimes he’ll eat it, other times, he won’t. He didn’t grow up as a dessert person. My family on the other hand, we’re all dessert connoisseurs.

Saturday afternoon, my Uncle took my dad, husband, and me out on his boat to check his crab pots. It was a long, chilly ride, but worth it! He felt a bit bad because we “only” got 3 crab. We, on the other hand, were so excited! We love crabbing and we usually go off the dock and only catch little Rock Crab-if we’re lucky. Using the boat, we came home with three full-sized Dungeness!!

We got home right before bedtime so our Little Lady got try fresh crab for the first time. She loved it! I’m so proud that she tried it at all, but the fact she liked it, gave me visions of crab fishing outings with her every season.Eating Crab(Photo Credit: Rex Rudee)

We ate a few legs but saved plenty for our Sunday dinner.Cleaning crabMy husband and I had the fun task of cleaning the remaining crab for our dinner.

For the appetizers, my sister and my dad made coconut shrimp, with a sweet chili sauce on the side.Frying ShrimpMy sister made a salad with avocado, cucumber, and freshly picked lettuce. She threw together a homemade dressing too, which was delicious. She used olive oil, lemon, balsamic vinegar, some sugar, and salt. So fresh and tasty!Avocado SaladWe also had steamed cauliflower on the side because cauliflower goes well with our main dish.

Which leads me to the main course, Crab Alfredo. I got to make the sauce. Nothing too difficult, just a lot of standing by a pot making sure nothing boils over.Final ProductThe finished product. Everything was delicious!

For dessert, I thought I would try my hand at homemade brownies. Nothing against the boxed brownies, but there’s something about a brownie made from scratch.

I turned to trusty old Pinterest for a recipe. I made the first one I found because it met all of my chocolaty needs. It was a delicious and perfect end to our incredible dinner.Brownie and ice creamI’ll spare you the adorable photos of the kids covered in their food (because, gross!). Just know my girl loved it all! And the boy liked everything except the crab and shrimp. So far, he is the biggest meat-eater I know, but he won’t touch seafood. Something to work on, ha!Full menuNext Sunday we’re skipping family dinner because we will be on vacation. Hopefully we’ll find some fun new things to try when we’re out of town. That’s part of the fun of vacation, isn’t it? Finding interesting places to eat!

Are you or your kids adventurous eaters? Have you ever had crab? What is your favorite family meal? We’re always up for new recipes to try!!

• Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

My kids are not the world’s most adventurous eaters, although my son is generally willing to try everything. I agree with your preference for having kids eat the same food as the adults (sometimes easier said than done). Looks like dinner went great!

July 13, 2015 at 8:53 am

Haha! Yes, definitely easier said than done sometimes. My son isn’t as open as my daughter, yet. It has been fun watching them discover their preferences though. Dinner was a lot of fun!

July 13, 2015 at 12:34 pm
  • Reply Melissa

Wow, the food all looks amazing! You have some good cooks in your family! I love homemade brownies and it’s awesome that your kids are getting exposure to a wide variety of foods.

July 13, 2015 at 1:19 pm

It was! I do, I’m very lucky. The only person that doesn’t really cook is my mom (although, she’s famous for her spaghetti.) The brownies turned out great! Its fun with the kids. I’m looking forward to the day when they can be more involved in the prep part of the dinner. 😀

July 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Quinn

I picked a bad night to miss Sunday dinner. Looks great. Also it’s foi gras. 😉

July 13, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Yeah. It was really good. Dang it!! Thanks-consider it fixed.

July 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm
  • Reply Courtney P.

I loved reading this. Dinnertime in general has become a far more important priority for us as a family. It’s really a wonderful time to bond and connect and I wouldn’t trade that time for anything.

July 13, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Thank you! I agree! It’s been so much fun getting to spend the time with my family. I feel so fortunate that we are all so close!

July 13, 2015 at 2:40 pm

My family gets together once a month. The kids have learned not to be picky at other people’s houses. 🙂 Your family dinner looked delicious!

July 13, 2015 at 4:57 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

I miss Sunday family dinner! When I lived near my parents I would try to have them over a few times a month for dinner and I always enjoyed trying out new recipes on them!

July 13, 2015 at 6:40 pm

It’s so much fun trying new recipes-and to have someone to try them out on, so awesome!

July 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

I love opening our home and kitchen to family for quality time together. I know that it’s hard to do sometimes because we are so busy but it’s such a joy when we get together.

And pass the brownies please!

July 14, 2015 at 5:48 am

It’s so great! Things can get busy, so it can be difficult to get everyone together. But when we all make it, it’s so much fun! The brownies turned out great!! I wish there were more!

July 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Awwwww we use to do Sunday dinner with my grandparents when I was a kid! It was always the highlight of my week when I was super little. We just recently started to do Sunday brunch weekly to give my daughter some sort of tradition to remember when she’s older and so far it’s been great!

July 14, 2015 at 7:51 am

That’s what I’m hoping for. Great memories for the kids. Not sure exactly how we’ll do it when football season starts (not everyone is into it). Lol! Brunch sounds like a great idea-I bet she’s loving it!

July 14, 2015 at 7:59 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

This meal sounds great!! I love avocado with Anything and wrapping it up with chocolate… Wish I was there!!

July 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

I was jealous BEFORE I saw the pictures of what you ate. The entire idea of making all sorts of food and trying different things (less the ox-tail soup of course) sounds like so much fun. Crab is one of my all-time favourite foods. So are brownies. I am pinning this so I can find the brownie recipe again.
    PS Good on your daughter for being so adventurous. I tried giving my kids mussels without success. Mussels aside, the two-bite rule is what we use too.
    PPS Love your t-shirts 🙂

July 14, 2015 at 11:31 am

Lol! Thank you! So, you draw the line at ox-tail soup? Haha! Crab and brownies are my favorites too. It was a huge treat to have them the same day. 😀 I’ve never tried mussels actually. I love clams, but mussels make me squeamish (I know, doesn’t make sense.) But I will try them one day.
      Thank you!! I loved it when I realized we both had M’s shirts on!

July 14, 2015 at 11:35 am
  • Reply Jill @ Maggie May's

wow.. that is really impressive. Whenever I invite anyone over for dinner, I think they know they will be eating pizza that night! That’s so great you are getting your daughter used to different types of food now. That will make for a fun childhood! 🙂

July 14, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Well, truth be told, if it were just me cooking, I would go your route. Usually everyone is involved in the cooking one way or another. I love that my daughter is willing to try new things. My son hasn’t quite hopped on board…yet…

July 14, 2015 at 9:57 pm
  • Reply Pranita

The pics look amazing! So Yummy!

Somebody get me the brownie pleaseeeee! 😛

-Pranita
    beingmumma.in

July 15, 2015 at 12:59 am
  • Reply Jenny

What an awesome idea! While I love traveling and living in another country, Sunday dinner with the family looks like so much fun!

July 15, 2015 at 9:54 pm
  • Reply Mama By Fire - Should You Drink Lemon Water Every Day? - Mama By Fire

[…] had a whole discussion/argument at family dinner a few weeks ago about the scientific evidence of the last two. Not with lemon water specifically, […]

June 20, 2017 at 5:10 pm