Pregnant With Scoliosis

When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter I had many mixed emotions.

I was ecstatic because we had been trying for a year. I finally got that stupid digital pregnancy test to say “pregnant.” Yes, I had the expensive one. For my son, I had a dollar store pregnancy test. Just shows the difference between the first and second born. It starts that early.

Next, I had suffered a miscarriage 8 years prior so I was counting down the days to get to the “safe zone.” I was sick the entire time, so call me crazy, I took that as a good sign.

Lastly, I have severe scoliosis so I wasn’t sure if my body would be able to handle a pregnancy.  At the time, I was seeing a chiropractor and he was optimistic, so my mind was put mostly at ease.My experiences being pregnant with scoliosis.

My experience being pregnant with scoliosis.

However, I had recently finished massage school so I got to study some of the changes a woman’s body goes through when she’s pregnant. The aches, the pains, and most terrifying for me, the loosening of the ligaments. That last part, seriously messes with your bone structure.

When I was 11, we found out I had scoliosis. I’ve done every improvement and preventative method out there just short of surgery. That’s not on the table. Period.

The last time I was checked (before I started having babies), I had a 96 degree curve.

The main curve is in my thoracic spine. It takes a hard right, jutting every rib out along with it.

So, I was a little worried about weight gain and carrying an extra heavy load out front.

What I didn’t expect from the pregnancy is the back support baby provided me. I had never felt so, for lack of a better word, solid. I’ve always been uncomfortable in my body, but when I had a baby in my belly, they supported my spine so I almost felt “normal,” or at least stronger.My experience being pregnant with scoliosis.Of course I had the typical aches and pains. For me it was mostly low back pain and false sciatica (when the piriformis muscle clamps down on the sciatic nerve). Basically nothing a little thorough,deep tissue massage couldn’t cure.

A few days after my daughter was born via emergency c-section, I had one of the biggest scares of my life.

It was the first time I was out of the house with my husband to run errands. We went to the bank first. As soon as we walked in, I went straight to a kiosk for support. My back wasn’t providing any. At all. I was terrified. I went straight to the worst case scenario. Imagine having that feeling just days after having a baby. I was a big hot mess.

Turns out I was being a bit dramatic. Not only was I crazy hormonal recovering from 22 hours of labor, but also from a major abdominal surgery. I needed to give my body time to recuperate before I jumped to any conclusions about my future.

It’s been over two years since I’ve been pregnant and my body is holding as strong as can be expected with a curve like mine.My experience being pregnant with scoliosis. (Worth it!)

The biggest change I’ve noticed since I was pregnant with my son is I can no longer sleep on my back (which is a bummer because it’s how I prefer to sleep). If I lie flat for more than ten minutes, both of my arms go numb. I know this is a nerve issue directly related to my back.My experience being pregnant with scoliosis.

(So worth it!)

I have a few PT exercises that help reduce pain, but I have been longing to have the feeling I had when I was pregnant. I want to feel solid again….without being pregnant.

Did you have any particular aches and pains while you were pregnant or after? Or any worries about lasting affects of carrying your little one?

Disclaimer-I am not a doctor or chiropractor. I am simply sharing my personal experiences. If you feel you need to consult a medical professional before getting pregnant, you’re probably right.

Thank you so much for stopping by! If you’d like, please give me a vote by clicking the banner below. Thank you!!

• Reply Natasha

Wow, that must have been quite the scare when you didn’t feel any support in your back! I’m so glad everything went okay with your pregnancy and delivery and that you are working your way back to 100%! I’m sure your story will really help others going through a similar situation with scoliosis.

July 31, 2015 at 10:10 am

Thank you Natasha!

July 31, 2015 at 10:11 am
  • Reply Sue Parke

Wow I had no idea you have scoliosis. My aunt has it too, and when she was a young kid she had a metal rod put in her back. She too deals with aches and pains. My lower back definitely bothered me while pregnant, especially towards the end. I found foam rolling, stretching and staying active helped me. And you looked fab pregnant, btw!

July 31, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Thank you! I have a friend that has a rod in her back too. She still has a lot of problems. Foam rolling is awesome! I have a firm thoracic roll that I use now and I love it! Thank you!!

July 31, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Wow! I have MILD back pain. I can’t even imagine. It’s so interesting how pregnancy gave you needed support. I feel for you on that first outing out of the house though. That must have been so scary. I think I pulled a muscle after my first c-section and just that threw me into a tailspin of tears and fears…
    I can’t believe you have SEVERE scoliosis and have done so well!!!

July 31, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I was very surprised about the support. I thought it was a fluke with my daughter, but it was the same with my son. The bank was very scary. Then my mom and husband reminded me about the surgery, etc. Pulled muscles are no joke! Those things hurt! And when you’re in pain like that, you worry it won’t ever go away. Thank you!! ?

July 31, 2015 at 7:09 pm
  • Reply MrsMuffinTop ™ (@TheMrsMuffinTop)

You should just be pregnant all the time! 🙂

From the photos, your scoliosis is hardly noticeable! My brother is very lopsided.

I would have been terrified if I had the same experience at the bank. I’m glad everything was ok.

I want to have baby #4 so badly…I don’t remember the aches and pains of the previous ones. I just want more! 🙂

July 31, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Haha-sounds good! (I wouldn’t mind a third.)
      Thank you! From the back, it’s a different story. 🙂
      The only aches and pains I remember are the ones I mentioned, I’m sure at the time I bitched about plenty of other things. We forget. Then we want more. Lol!

July 31, 2015 at 7:07 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

Being pregnant is hard enough on its own, I can’t even imagine it with severe back issues! I’m glad that pregnancy actually seemed to help your scoliosis.

July 31, 2015 at 8:25 pm

It’s definitely not easy! I was surprised at how good my back felt, for sure! 😀

August 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm
  • Reply Melissa (Wading Through Motherhood)

I never realized you had scoliosis! It is always scary when we don’t feel like our bodies are working properly. Love your cute pregnancy pictures.

August 1, 2015 at 1:04 pm

It is scary! When we feel that way, we sometimes worry if we’ll ever get better. Thank you!! 😀

August 4, 2015 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

Pregnancy can be worrisome so I can’t really imagine having a condition that could or would make it more difficult or result in side effects. While I’m sure you had thoughts of “can I do this?”, it’s clear that your children were worth the worry.

August 3, 2015 at 5:34 am

I definitely had those “can I do this?” moments! They were! Thank you!

August 4, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Ughhh I couldn’t imagine having back issues on top of having to deal with all the other pregnancy stuff. I had a friend when I was in middle school that had scoliosis. I remember she didn’t even know she had it until they did the yearly check at school.

August 3, 2015 at 6:43 am

What a challenging time for you. It is so difficult to go through the day with back pain! I hope that with the PT you can continue to improve.

August 3, 2015 at 7:49 am

As long as I’m consistent, it definitely helps!

August 3, 2015 at 7:59 am
  • Reply Casey

Hi,

Iam 32yrs old and I have scoliosis as well. Im very petite. I weigh 97lbs and stand 5ft. I dont have any children but would like to have kids one day. My scolw is veru noticeable. I have even hips, shoulders,and one leg longer than the other. I still have pain in my hips now mostly with my shoulders and legs. Iam so scared of the problems I will have during pregnancy. You look great by the way and congrats on those two beautiful babies.

September 13, 2015 at 1:27 am

Thank you so much! As I said in the post, being pregnant made me feel a lot more supported. Double check with your health care provider, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll be able to have little ones no problem! Good luck!!

September 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Theresa

After suffering several losses, I, like you, viewed morning sickness as a great sign that I was still pregnant. Any ‘symptom’ of pregnancy was a good thing!

September 30, 2015 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Emma

I am glad that things turned out well for you in the end. Also, Oh my God, your baby is sooo cute! I love the batman t-shirt pic especially ! 🙂

April 2, 2016 at 6:09 am

Thank you so much!! 😀

April 2, 2016 at 8:34 pm
  • Reply Christina

Your account of being a pregnant mother with scoliosis was, no doubt, inspiring to readers. Your revelation that there was an additional feeling of normalcy with the weight from the baby is just as likely to surprise readers as inform them.

October 24, 2016 at 12:42 pm
  • Reply Brian

Thanks for sharing your story! I was really moved by your story of dealing with scoliosis and getting pregnant. It can be difficult but I’m glad you were able to handle it.

November 7, 2016 at 11:48 am
  • Reply V

Hi, thank you for sharing your story. I never really thought about how my scoliosis might affect a pregnancy but now that I am in a serious relationship and plan to have kids someday, I have started to worry. My curve is only about 22 degrees but I am pretty petite and can’t imagine how carrying extra weight would increase my back pain. It really helps to know that your pregnancy helped to stabilize your back. What kind of doctor would you recommend that I consult if I am planning on getting pregnant? A regular gyno or perhaps an orthopedic doctor?

February 15, 2017 at 6:35 pm
    • Reply Tarynn Playle

I only worked with a regular gyno, but I wish I had also been seeing a chiropractor as well. As long as you listen to your body and talk to your doc about it and any changes you may feel, you will do great.

February 15, 2017 at 6:45 pm