Last week we went on a long overdue play date. My girl got to see her BFF after not seeing each other for about two months. The girls were ecstatic! They sat on the couch for a good half hour looking through a Princess book we brought. It was so sweet to watch!My friend served the kiddos some pretzels for a snack and my girl gobbled them up.
I thought, of course(!), pretzels are a great little munching snack. So I went out the next day and got some.
Turns out, neither of my kids like them. Z will eat one or two, then she’s done. My son
rudely shoves pushes them away.
So here I am, with a big bag of pretzels.
Now, what makes everything taste better? That’s right, bacon or chocolate.
I couldn’t see how I would incorporate bacon with pretzels (not to mention they are salty enough). So, Chocolate it is!
As a rule, I don’t like to dip things in chocolate. It’s messy, gross, and just a huge hassle. (An exception to this rule is strawberries. They have a handy green stem to hang onto.)
I decided to go the drizzled chocolate route. To make these simple dessert-like snacks, you’ll need:
1. Put your mat/foil/parchment paper on your baking sheet.
2. Lay the pretzels in a single layer on top.3. Melt the chocolates in the microwave. Cook them in 15-20 second increments and be sure to stir in between. It will melt more as you stir. Both chocolates took about 35 seconds each. Do not overcook the chocolate-it will get to the point where you can’t use it anymore! (Chunky chocolate is not so great…)
4. Drizzle the chocolate all over the pretzels. I used a plastic bag for the first round. The second time, I used a spoon to drizzle. I like the uniformity and control with the baggie much better, but you can do it however you like.5. If you have any candy or nuts to add, do it now while the chocolate is still melted.
6. Put the pan in the freezer until the chocolate is set. About 20 minutes.
7. Pull off the pretzels and put them in an airtight container. I prefer keeping it in the refrigerator, but if it’s not too hot, you can store them in your cupboard.You’ll probably have some chocolate pieces left on your baking sheet. Just throw them in a little container to use for later. I put some in my coffee. Tonight, I’ll put them on my ice cream.
Both kiddos love pretzels now. And unfortunately, I do too!
Do you have anything you like to make with pretzels? I have about half a bag left and I don’t want them to go to waste.