The Other Disney Favorites

Posted in Toddler by

I’m the youngest of three. I was the typical kid sister. Whiny, clingy, and I tried to tag along with my older siblings. Always to no avail.

One of the ways I irritated them is by obsessively watching the same movies over and over again. That’s what they get for not hanging out with me!

I got a Winnie the Pooh set for my birthday one year and I loved them. Those may be the ones that drove my sister craziest. (She’s only mentioned it more than once within the last year.)

The other film I remember watching almost daily was ‘The Secret Garden.’ You remember the Hallmark version? That one. What’s weird is, no matter how many times I watched it, for the life of me, I can only remember snippets.

Now my brother and sister can rest assured I am getting payback in full force. And it is a crazy bitch.

Since my daughter became obsessed with the Disney Princesses, I have watched each one of their films (except Jasmine and Snow White), about a million times. I get to sing two different princess songs every night to my girl right before bed. My house is oozing with princesses.

Luckily for me, we’ve found a few other movies that my girl loves that aren’t princess movies. She’s beginning to explore outside of the box, so to speak. Not too far though, everything is still Disney.

So here are some of my kiddos’ other Disney favorites:

Disney favorites

Peter Pan

This one is a classic. Aside from the obnoxiously racist song about Native Americans, and every girl in Neverland being obsessed with Peter, its great.

I recently read that Peter Pan was an angel that held children’s hands while they went to heaven. That’s why they never grew up…

The Emperor’s New Groove

This is one of my favorites. We’ve been reading the book every night, so my daughter became pretty focused on it. It’s her current favorite.

I love the story and it’s hilarious. We tried introducing it to her when she was two, but no luck. As it stands right now, I’ve watched it once a day, for the last five days. So done.

101 Dalmations

Another classic. Let’s just take a moment to think about how fucked messed up this movie is. A woman wants to skin puppies to make a fur coat. That has never actually been a thing, right? Cruella De Vil is just a psycho, deranged character that nobody can relate to…right?….

Also, the dialogue between the humans is extremely hokey. I suppose it can be endearing. Besides, it is from the ’60’s, so that’s probably how people actually talked back then. I guess.

Otherwise, it’s a great movie.

And you can’t deny how catchy the “Cruella De Vil” song is…”if she doesn’t scare you, no evil thing will.”

Finding Nemo

This film will always have a special place in my heart. We watched it when I was pregnant with my son every single day. Despite my efforts to get my lady to watch something else, she was obsessed with this movie.

Once she discovered princesses, we stopped watching it. Now that my son is older and more interested in movies, he really likes it. And she doesn’t mind revisiting her first love.

Those are the movies in our rotation right now, with the occasional princess movie thrown in.

What movies are your kids into? Do they like watching the same thing over and over, or do they prefer variety?

Thank you so much for stopping by! If you’d like to vote for me for Top Mommy Blogs, please click the banner below. Thanks!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

September 2, 2015

• Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

I’ve never seen The Emperor’s New Groove. Maybe we’ll have to try that out! It’s funny about Peter Pan… obviously as kids we didn’t realize how awful that song was (about Native Americans) but watching it now I always cringe during that part 🙂

September 2, 2015 at 7:32 am

I hadn’t seen Peter Pan for years. When I saw it for the first time recently, I was quite taken aback. Woah.

September 2, 2015 at 7:38 am
  • Reply Traci@tracesoffaith

A good list! We have our share of princess movies around here too. We like both Ladies and the Tramp (who knew there even was a second one) mostly because we are dog lovers in our household.

September 2, 2015 at 7:41 am

Thanks! Ha! I didn’t know there was another one. I think my kids would love the original-then we could check out the second one.

September 2, 2015 at 7:43 am
  • Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life

Love all of these except I’ve never seen the Emperor one! Will definitely have to check that out. 🙂

September 2, 2015 at 7:53 am

You should!! Its a good one!

September 3, 2015 at 11:44 am
  • Reply Southern Momma

Oh the princesses!! My daughter is going through the same phase! Currently our top princess movie is, of course, Frozen. Its to the point where even my son loves it. LOL! Thankfully she is a variety kind of kid, so we get other movies, Monster Inc. is a big hit, and the boy has to have Cars every now and then. Some of her other favorites are Aladdin, and the not as well known The Swan Princess, (which was one of my favorites).

September 2, 2015 at 9:50 am

We have Monsters, Inc, but the kids are too afraid to watch it. We keep trying to convince them it’s good. I have never seen The Swan Princess, I should look into it. My favorite is The Princess and the Frog. 🙂

September 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm
      • Reply Southern Momma

Maybe they will warm up to the idea of Monster Inc. soon! The Monsters University is good too!! You should defiantly look into The Swan Princess, it was one of my favorites, I don’t think it gets enough credit! lol. I love The Princess and the Frog though!! I use to live in Louisiana, and I’ve been to New Orleans several times, so I thought that was really cool, and pretty darn accurate! 😀

September 2, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I love Louisiana so much!!! That’s definitely one of the reasons it’s my favorite. I hope they warm up to it, because Monsters Inc is great and I want to see the second one! My daughter will be thrilled to hear about The Swan Princess!

September 2, 2015 at 1:25 pm
          • Southern Momma

Louisiana is great!! The culture is so vivid, there aren’t very many places like it!!! The new Monsters is really cute! Its all about Mike and Sully before they became the scare team. We like it. lol. I look forward to hearing about her opinion on The Swan Princess. I think its on Netflix actually!

September 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm
          • mamabyfire@gmail.com

Ha-that’s perfect! Thanks! I’ll try to talk her into it tomorrow. ?

September 2, 2015 at 3:26 pm
  • Reply Portia Lindi Mogale

This sounds like my house we currently have on rotation Cars 2; The Lion King and Finding Nemo. I can recite the story line off by heart

September 2, 2015 at 11:33 am

Haha! I really want to get The Lion King! It’s one of my favorites!!

September 2, 2015 at 12:14 pm
  • Reply Tricia

These are some great movies! We have only watched Finding Nemo with my son yet. My son is obsessed with it though. He would watch it everyday over and over again (and Mulan). I think all of the pixar movies are really well done. The Emperor’s New Groove is totally underrated. I do have to say that I cringe at the racial insensitivities in Peter Pan though. I mean, the Indian scene is pretty bad looking back on it.

September 2, 2015 at 11:46 am

The Indian scene in Peter Pan is truly awful. The Pixar movies are so great! They’re beautiful and Finding Nemo is amazing with the colors, and the under sea life…I love it! Yes!! Emperor’s New Groove was way underrated!!

September 2, 2015 at 12:16 pm
  • Reply Tanisha Gomez

101 Dalmations was one of my favorites as a kid! Finding Nemo is one of my favorites now, lol. 🙂

September 4, 2015 at 8:21 am

Nemo is was one of my favorites too!

September 4, 2015 at 9:49 am