Migraine Relief

For those of you that haven’t had the pleasure, a migraine is a vascular headache that is usually unilateral (but it can certainly be bilateral too), and it causes all sorts of unpleasant symptoms, (Pain, sensitivity to light, nausea, vertigo….) It can be difficult to find the right type of migraine relief.

They can be rather inconvenient and make it difficult to function, depending on intensity. I, personally, get them once a month, which means they are hormonal. Some people get them all the time.

In the past, I would go to my room, curtains drawn, and do my best to sleep it off. Now that I have kids, I don’t always have that luxury. So, here are some things I do for migraine relief:

**This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and order something, I may get a small commission. It does not, however, change the price for you.**

Migraine Relief

1. Ice pack

I put an ice pack wherever the throbbing is. Since its a vascular headache, anything to send blood away from the area helps. And that is exactly what an ice pack does. If you would like to make one at home, you can find out how hereice pack

Do not leave the pack on for more than 10-15 minutes, be sure to leave it off for at least 15 minutes, then you can use it again. (Suggested use.*)

2. Aromatherapy

I’m not completely sold on the whole “essential oils cure everything.” But I do know first hand, they can be of value.

For a migraine, I use Peppermint Essential Oil. I dab a little under my nose and on my temples. My eyes usually water like crazy at first, but my head always feels better. (This works for a cold too.)migraine reliefA few things I learned in an aromatherapy class a few years ago: (Keep in mind, I am no longer practicing and the wellness field is changing all the time. Bottom line, if in doubt, do some research or ask a professional.)

-Use the good stuff! If you have to do a bit of research to find good, quality oils, do it. There are a lot of knock-offs out there and they aren’t as effective.

-If you don’t like the smell, it won’t benefit you. Sounds silly, but if your body is rejecting it, do not force it!!

Lavender is helpful for a migraine as well as peppermint, but ever since I was pregnant, I’ve had an aversion to it. So I personally stick with the peppermint.

-Do your research (again)! Not all oils are beneficial to everybody. Yes, they are natural, but just because they’re from nature, does not necessarily mean a pregnant woman should be using it. Marijuana is natural too, but you didn’t see me smoking it when I was preggo. So if you’re pregnant, nursing, or have any other reservations, ask a professional. There are plenty of oils that are safe for a pregnant woman to use, but it’s always better to check.

-Be sure to keep them out of reach of your children!!! Not all essential oils are safe to ingest!!!! My son gulped a bit of my peppermint oil. Fortunately, it was safe. But unfortunately for my little guy, it burned like a mother F. Not his words, mine.

3. Excedrin Migraine

This is always my last resort and it is not a cure-all. That said, so far, it has helped me every time. On a pain scale of 1-10 (where an 8, you’re in tears), it takes my pain from a 7, down to a 2 or 3. I still know it’s there, but I can move around without vomiting. I’ll take it!

4. Altoids

The last time I had a particularly bad migraine, we happened to have altoids on hand. For some reason, they were the only things I could imagine eating at the time. They not only helped soothe my nausea, but also some of the head pain.

I know a list of four things isn’t very long. But these four things are the ONLY things that have given me migraine relief. And it has taken me years of testing things out to find what works and what doesn’t!

Finding Migraine Relief can be tough, but here are some things that have worked for me!

If you suffer from migraines, I hope these tips help you the next time one hits.

What do you do when you have a migraine? I’m always open to more suggestions!

*I am not a medical professional, these are things I do personally that have helped me. This is not a sponsored post, however, there is a link to one.

Thank you so much for stopping by! If you’d like to give me a vote for Top Mommy Blogs, please click the banner below. Thanks!!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

• Reply Tricia

Oh I’m so sorry you suffer from migraines. I get headaches from time to time, but they don’t compare to migraines! My good friend has them really bad. He has seen specialist of all that to try to get rid of them. I feel so bad for him! I’ll have to share these remedies with him.

September 11, 2015 at 10:13 am

I’m pretty fortunate because mine only last 24 hours. I know some people that get them for a few days. They are so awful. I hope your friend is able to find something to help him. Its frustrating because its one of those things they don’t know enough about. They don’t always know why someone has them so it makes it more difficult to figure out how to get rid of them.

September 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm
  • Reply Krystal

My migraines have been much less frequent since having kids. I used take a LOT of Excedrin migraine!

September 11, 2015 at 1:34 pm

That’s good they’re less frequent! I am pretty consistent with one a month.

September 11, 2015 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply Jill @ Maggie May's

Yuck! I get migraines too and they just stop your world, don’t they!??
    It used to be unbearable but I discovered Imitrex and it has saved my life! Have you ever tried it?

September 11, 2015 at 1:48 pm

They absolutely do! Its a full body experience, ugh! I have never heard of imitrex!! What is it?

September 14, 2015 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy

Migraines are awful. I definitely need to try some aromatherapy because my migraine pain has become immune to OTC pain meds.

September 11, 2015 at 2:28 pm

They really are! Usually I can get by with the ice and aromatherapy, but the other day, I had to use the meds. I hope aromatherapy helps!!

September 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Deanna

I get them too so thanks for the tips. I have been wanting to try aroma therapy!

September 11, 2015 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply Jenny

What about wallow in pain and lay in bed??? lol
    13 years ago I used to get migraines so badly I would have to go to the hospital. Then they just stopped. I recently got one and had to go to the hospital again. This time I just got some exedrin migraine from the doctor and some muscle relaxers and then laid in bed and wallowed. I didn’t think about the oils though. I have some mint oil. OK, if I get another one, which I hope I don’t, I will try the oil.:) Thanks!

September 14, 2015 at 12:47 am

The hospital?! Yikes! I actually got one yesterday and I wallowed a bit. I took the Excederin, then slept for several hours. I hope you don’t get them anymore either, they’re the worst.

September 14, 2015 at 6:18 am
  • Reply Melissa

My mom has really bad migraines. When I get headaches I use eucalyptus oil mixed with a carrier oil on my temples. I do the same thing when I’m congested. I imagine it has a similar affect as the peppermint oil.

September 14, 2015 at 11:01 am

Oh no! They’re so awful! Does she have a method that helps her? Eucalyptus oil is a great one! I should get some for the migraines and for my husband’s allergies.

September 14, 2015 at 1:30 pm
  • Reply Joanna @ Motherhood and Merlot

I am going to have to try out some of that Peppermint oil. I have been suffering from the worst headaches lately, on a daily basis (Thank you postpartum hormone craziness!). Thanks for sharing these!

September 15, 2015 at 7:59 am

Oh no! I hope it helps! Those hormones are no joke!!

September 15, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Migraines are horrible. Thanks for the migraine relief tips.

September 15, 2015 at 8:54 am

They are. I hope these help!

September 15, 2015 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Tiffany from Good Enuf Mommy

I love aromatherapy for my headaches. A little bit of peppermint on my temples and neck works like a charm!

September 15, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Yes!! I love it too!

September 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I’ve had a bad headache the past few days. I can only imagine a migraine. These are great tips. I didn’t know about peppermint oil for colds and will use it for sure.

September 16, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Headaches aren’t any fun either! I hope it goes away soon. I love peppermint oil so much! We have an amazing diffuser in our room and it helps with my husband’s allergies and we always have it going when we’re sick.

September 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm
  • Reply twitchetts.com

These are Great tips! I have struggled with migraines for years… I am new to peppermint oil for them, but it really seems to help. I also love your KY cold pouch 🙂 I just usually walk around with my sunglasses on inside until it gets better.

September 17, 2015 at 10:01 am

Thanks! I hope they help! I’ve done the sunglasses inside thing too-at the grocery store especially!!

September 17, 2015 at 10:20 am
  • Reply Natasha

Sorry to hear about the migraines sister! They are no fun! I don’t get them very often, but when I do I fall into bed and pray for sleep! Thanks for the tips!

September 17, 2015 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Rambo

I suffer from migraines and have meds from the doctor that help at the onset. After having a major episode lasting almost a month, 6 trips to the MD, I was desperate. I tried acupuncture. It gave me relief almost immediately. This is something I would never have considered before, but when the pain is so intense it is worth a shot. My MD said it helps some, but not all people. My alternative was Botox, which I do not want to take. All my migraines do not mean a trip to the acupuncturist, but if it is bad that is where I find relief.

September 13, 2016 at 10:27 am
    • Reply Tarynn Playle

Acupuncture is a great idea. I’m glad to hear that it helps. I’ve heard of Botox for migraines, but I feel a bit skeptical.

September 13, 2016 at 11:23 am