Halloween in the Air

Posted in Holidays by

I love this time of year. There is a noticeable a change in the air (not just referring to the temperature). You can feel the holidays approaching. And it is so exciting!!HalloweenGrowing up I always loved Halloween. I would start planning at the beginning of September what I was going to dress up as. After that, it was all about the candy. That was truly the best part. I grew up in a golf coarse community and everyone in my town and the neighboring town would go trick or treating there. We had a bunch of those houses where people gave away the full sized candy bars. So. Awesome.

When we got home, my brother and I would dump out our bounty. Then we would go through and do some trading. I always did my best to make my candy last, because once it was gone, it was gone. I may or may not have learned a lesson or two about eating candy in moderation…

There was about 15 years there where Halloween lost its luster. I was too old to go trick or treating, I didn’t have kids, and I wasn’t much of a partier. In college, I went to my share of Halloween swing dances, but that was about it. Any older than that with no kids, Halloween means get dressed up, go out and get toasted.

Now that I have kiddos, it has become so exciting again! I get to make costumes! We get to go to fun little parties (that, yes, half the time result in crappy toys and gross candy, but sometimes, you get the good candy-and the kids have a blast!) And we get to go trick or treating!!!

Since my daughter was one, we’ve gone trick or treating at the businesses in our old town with my friend and her daughter. I like the idea of going from business to business because you don’t have to worry as much about sketchy people and questionable candy.

Every year after trick or treating, after the kids go to bed, my husband and I dump out their bags. Then we get to make some decisions. First we go through and get rid of the stuff we don’t let our kids eat. You know, gumballs, gobstoppers, jawbreakers, etc. Then we take turns choosing what we want to keep for ourselves-don’t worry, as we’re doing that, each kid gets a pile too!

Doing things this way, the kids still get plenty of candy that they “worked hard” for, and my husband and I get in on the action. Oh, yeah, and the kids aren’t getting a years worth of sugar in the span of a week.

Now for the costumes! I am not much of a crafty person. Lord help me, I try. I am a mommy blogger, after all. But when I get an idea in my head about making something, like a costume, I go all in. It has been such a blast making my kids’ costumes! I love figuring out what I need to get to make them, and I LOVE going to Goodwill and Value Village to do the shopping. There is nothing more exciting than buying supplies with a fantastic idea in mind not knowing whether it will actually work or not. Anyone else feel that way, or is it just me?

Here is a peek into our last three years of costumes. I didn’t make all of them, but the ones I didn’t make, you can pretty much tell what I did. Except for the Ariel costume, that one got it’s own post (mostly because I was blogging by then…)HalloweenZ was  a fairy. I didn’t make this one. In fact, I was rather lazy with this one, we just happened to have it….(2012)R2D2 Halloween CostumeMy little R2-D2! He was almost 4 months old-and yes, he was big. (2013)Amelia Earhart costumeMy sweet girl was Little Red Riding Hood. I made the skirt and the hooded cape. She also had a cute basket and a corset that she was no longer using. Her friend Z was Amelia Earhart-so adorable, I know!!(2013)Ariel costumeAriel!! I loved how this one turned out, she was so darling. But. A word to the wise. When making/deciding on a costume, keep in mind what they’ll be doing. Walking around all over the place collecting candy! If I had thought it through, I would have made it more conducive for that. This costume was thrashed by the end of the night-and it was not comfortable for her to walk in (only because of the length.)(2014)Spiderman Halloween costumeThis one I had nothing to do with. To be honest, I think the Ariel costume really took it out of me. (2014)

As for this year, I have no idea what the kids are going to be. With my little guy, I still get to choose, because he could care less.

My girl, on the other hand, has changed what she wants to be for Halloween many times. She finally settled on one, and stuck with it for a long time. I started to get really excited about it too because I was getting ideas on how to execute it. Then yesterday, like it was nothing, she crushed my dreams and has changed it once again. I will give her one week to finally decide, then I will have to get cracking!

What do you like to do for Halloween? Do your kiddos dress up and go trick or treating? Do you like to make their costumes or buy them?

• Reply Deanna

Happy to see you are back in the swing of Halloween with your kids, they are adorable by the way. We dress up with our kids. I have always loved Halloween and suspect I always will. 🙂

October 2, 2015 at 8:13 am

Thank you!! It’s been so much fun!!

October 2, 2015 at 8:22 am
  • Reply sue parke

Love all your Halloween pics! The kids are so cute! I Love love love Halloween and the entire holiday season. I turn into a 5 year old every year when this season rolls around, and now that I’m a mom it’s so much more exciting!

October 2, 2015 at 10:09 am

Thank you! Yes! Me too!! It so much fun!

October 2, 2015 at 11:56 am
  • Reply Andria

We too are looking forward to Halloween over here. I have absolutely no energy or patience to make our costumes though, so we will be hitting up the local costume store.

October 2, 2015 at 11:14 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if I buy one costume and make one. That seems to be my trend.

October 2, 2015 at 11:57 am
  • Reply Melissa

I love Halloween! Those costumes are great! My kids always want to be a Disney Character but this year my daughter might just be a ballerina and my son wants to wear a batman costume with a mask.

October 2, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Me too!! Thanks!! So cute! I hope you post pictures!!

October 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I hadn’t seen the R2D2 one! I love it!!! What a kid! He looks like he’s 8 months, lol. And of course, I think the Ariel one is brilliant!!! I’m excited (and scared) for Halloween. If I were home, I’d know to expect rain and be pleasantly surprised if it didn’t. Here I don’t know when the snow comes… ?

October 2, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Thank you! He was huge!! I had a lot of fun making the R2D2 costume! He was so chubby and cute! I loved making the Ariel one too-thank you, I was so excited it turned out! Oh wow! When does the snow come? I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of your kiddos on Halloween!! ?

October 3, 2015 at 9:36 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

I LOVE Halloween! I’m getting excited just reading your post! We take the kids trick or treating around our neighborhood. One year, while our house was being built, we took our son to the mall trick or treating. Horrible candy! Not one piece of chocolate! I wish I could say I make their costumes, but alas, I do not. I usually buy them online (and I have been known to buy them as early as August)! My oldest is going to be Robin (of Batman and Robin and Teen Titans) and my little one said he wanted to be a spaceship. Surprisingly, they do make spaceship costumes! Some year I would love to have a Halloween party for the kids…but it’s not going to be this year!

October 3, 2015 at 5:10 am

I’m getting excited too!! We almost did the mall last year-so glad we didn’t in case there was no chocolate. I would have been so mad!!! Those costumes sound great! I love that there are spaceship costumes-so cute! I hope you share pictures!! I would love to have a Halloween party one day, I loved having them when I was younger.

October 3, 2015 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply Twitchetts.com

Such cute costumes! Can’t wait to see how things turn out this year!! Trying to get my son to nail down his idea so I can get started.

October 3, 2015 at 7:19 am

Thank you! Yes!! That’s the first major challenge! Lol!

October 3, 2015 at 7:44 am
  • Reply Shann Eva

Oh my gosh! Your kids are so adorable. That R2D2 and the Red Riding Hood, and the Ariel….I love them all. You say you’re not crafty, but I’d have to disagree. Great job Momma!

October 3, 2015 at 7:51 am

Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun with them!

October 3, 2015 at 7:52 am
  • Reply Rachel

I share your affection so much for this holiday. It was something as a child I looked forward to every year. The magic in dressing up, and getting candy. I had a sister, and we also traded. I love your children’s Halloween costumes. The R2D2 is adorable, and that is the most adorable little red riding hood ever! The magic is restored in celebrating the season with our children.

October 4, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Thank you so much! Yes, the magic is restored! I look forward to it so much every year now!!

October 5, 2015 at 2:32 pm