The Gluten-Free Experiment

A few months ago I wrote a “Mama Improvement” post about my health goals. I want to eat healthier, exercise more, and drink a lot more water. Unfortunately, I have been failing miserably on all fronts. I’ll occasionally have a good day, but for the most part, not much has changed. In fact, I’ve actually gained two pounds. It is becoming really frustrating and I know I need a major change.

The other day, my husband came to me with an idea. Why don’t we try going gluten-free for a little while? Gluten-free experimentI had considered trying it in the past because I had heard good things about it. And for the past several months or even years, I haven’t been feeling completely great. I’ve never felt bad enough to get checked out, I just feel a bit off. But when I considered cutting gluten, I knew I would be on my own, so I never mentioned it.

Then my husband brought it up to me! I was so surprised!

The idea was put in his head while he was watching commentary on an episode of South Park. The episode was about people overreacting about the effects gluten has on us. Matt Stone and Trey Parker were saying they always made fun of one of their colleagues for being GF-which is what sparked the idea for the episode. Since they were writing about it, they felt they should at least do some research. They were both gluten-free for only 3 days when they started feeling better. To this day, they are both GF. I watched the episode and during the credits, it had a little “GF” next to everyone involved in the show that is gluten-free.

So has begun our Gluten-free experiment…because of South Park.

Nobody in my family, to my knowledge, has a gluten allergy so we are strictly doing this to see if we notice a change in how we feel.

We aren’t going to be super strict with the kids either. We have about three birthday parties coming up this month with cupcakes and pizza. They will get to partake.

But while we’re home, we will all be gluten-free. It has been three days since we made the decision, but it is going to be a slow transition. We still have a lot of gluten-laden food in our pantry that we can’t justify throwing out.

I will be keeping track here with any changes that occur during this experiment, if there are any. And don’t worry, whichever way this goes, I promise I won’t try to convince you one way or the other.

Are you GF? Have you ever tried it? Or do you think we’re nuts? Also, if you have any great recipes, feel free send them my way!!

• Reply Katie Chiavarone

I’m so curious to see what you think!! I love being gluten free…at home lol

October 14, 2015 at 7:52 am

Me too! I’m very interested to see how it goes. So far I’ve been having fun with it.

October 14, 2015 at 8:03 am
  • Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

I can’t wait to hear your results! I’ve wanted to try GF but I wondered if it was all just hype or if the effects were real. What I can testify to is how amazing cutting out sugar is. I had to do that when I had gestational diabetes and it was a pain but led to no weight gain (in my third trimester!) and feeling great. I’ve been terrible, though, about returning to a low-sugar diet. I’m looking forward to hearing how you do on your gluten-free one!

October 14, 2015 at 8:20 am

Thank you for the support!! I’m curious to see if there are any changes. I was thinking, depending on how this goes, that sugar would be next. At least reduce our intake-that would be huge!

October 14, 2015 at 8:38 am
  • Reply Kristen

That’s a great title, we’re gluten free because of south park! lol! We do it, it helps for sure with certain conditions if you have health issues. Good luck!

October 14, 2015 at 8:24 am

Thank you! Haha-I’m so random! I actually thought of you because I know you’re gluten free. Do you have any recipes on your blog I should check out, or any favorites?

October 14, 2015 at 8:40 am
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

Good Luck!!! We tried it, and it was rough. I am thinking about cutting MOST gluten out and seeing if that helps. but honestly I just can’t come up with enough (easy) meals my (picky) kids will eat lol I’ll be looking forward to hearing how things go 🙂

October 14, 2015 at 8:35 am

Thank you!! That is a great idea for a post! If/when I find some simple, tasty meals for picky eaters, I’ll write about it and let you know. 🙂

October 14, 2015 at 8:42 am
  • Reply nicole

we haven’t done it. but i know plenty who have.. it’s possible but be careful. if you’re super into it – gluten is everywhere including things you’d never imagine like tic tacs, soy sauce, even some vodkas!

October 14, 2015 at 8:45 am

LOL!!! I’m going to have a post about the random things gluten is in. I knew about the soy sauce, and vodka…but tic tacs?! That’s so random and hilarious! My hope is to stick to it as much as possible, but since it isn’t for allergy reasons, we can be a little lax.

October 15, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Looking forward to following along to see how this makes you feel!I was vegetarian for years, but started eating meat again when I was pregnant and just continued (even though I am not crazy about it.. just dont like the taste/texture too much) Anyway I started having tons of stomach issues.. so a few months ago I went back to no meat.. and I feel fantastic! 🙂

October 14, 2015 at 9:11 am

Oh, wow! I think next we’ll probably reduce our meat intake. Its good to know it makes you feel great!

October 15, 2015 at 8:33 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

I’m so interested to find out if it makes a difference in how you feel . My mom is always feeling terrible, but the doctor is not convinced it’s Gluten, but I’m not so sure. I hope you get some good results.

October 14, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Oh no! That must be very discouraging for your mom! Thank you! Me too. I’m very curious to see how it goes.

October 14, 2015 at 3:46 pm
  • Reply Kate

I’ve been gluten free for almost 6 months! It’s hard, but hopeful it will be worth it. (I’ll find out next month). The trick is to find your weaknesses in gluten free. I have a box of gf soy sauce packets for my office, so I can have sushi. Lol. Also, Target’s Simply Balanced gf pasta is the best, reasonably priced, noodles I’ve found. Good luck!!

October 14, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Oh, wow! I’m interested to hear how it’s been! Thanks for the tips!! I’ll definitely check Target out!!

October 14, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I cannot wait to hear how this all plays out! As you know, I’m in the exact same position health-wise, so I’m really curious to see how you do!!!!

October 14, 2015 at 5:01 pm
  • Reply Caroline

Not sure if you knew, but I have been GF/vegan for the last 3 years! (Although I have slowly introduced gluten back into my diet in the last year. I love beer and scotch too much!) I was severely breaking out in hives and vomiting 3-5 times a week and went to an allergist who suggested a 3 year (!!) plan of routine allergy shots. I opted for an alternative approach and saw a naturopath who suggested an elimination diet. I felt/saw results almost immediately and decided to stick with it. David is the most skeptical person I know, and even he is on board with a GF diet for me. Good luck with the experiment! It’s challenging but fun.

October 14, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Thank you!! Wow! I had no idea it was that bad! Routine allergy shots?! I’m so surprised that was their answer. I’m so glad your diet has been helping! I’m really excited about it. If you have any favorite recipes, please send them my way! (I’m going to make my own flour and try baking my chocolate chip cookies. Haha!! We’ll see how that goes…)

October 15, 2015 at 8:32 pm
  • Reply Jhanis

None in my family have allergy to gluten too but I have always wondered about it especially after reading so many articles. I’m very interested to know more about your experience! Keep us posted!

October 14, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Ahhhh I’ve attempted the whole gluten free thing before! Only thing that gets me is the bread. It just taste funky to me

October 16, 2015 at 8:47 am

LOL! I found one that I like ok at TJ’s but it’s super expensive!!

October 16, 2015 at 8:49 am