How the Cat Saved My Sleep

Posted in Toddler by

One night a few weeks ago, my daughter had a rough night sleeping. In the middle of our sleepy stupor, my husband and I simply took her to our bed.

I don’t care if you co-sleep. I know it’s a “mommy wars” issue. I don’t care. Do what you want. You’ve gotta do you. But I, personally cannot sleep with a toddler. I’ve tried several times. And unless it’s only me and the toddler in a gigantic King-sized bed, I will not get any sleep.

The next night, (remember, no sleep equals crazy tired…), she said, “Oh, I think I’m going to sleep in your room tonight.”

For whatever reason, which I don’t recall, we didn’t put up a fight. We simply put huge chair cushions on the floor (they are more like a mattress than cushions), and she slept on those.

The next night we told her she had to sleep in her room. She was ok with her room for about four nights in a row. Then we did the cushion thing again. That particular night we had already settled into bed and we were watching an episode of Daredevil on Netflix (so good! if you haven’t watched it yet you should check it out!) It can get rather violent. Anyhow, right as the credits rolled, my sweet little girl popped her head into our room. We had had our door open and I have no idea how long she had been standing there!! Ugh! #parentfail

That was a few weeks ago.

The next night, my girl informed me she was going to sleep in our room. I said “no, not tonight.” We did a bit of back and forth, then she said, “I think I’d like the cats to sleep with me.”

What a brilliant idea!! We’ve asked her here and there if she wanted to sleep with them and it was always a no. But since it was her idea, she was excited.sleeping kittyMy adorable cat, Ladybird, was happy to comply. I checked on her a bit after the cat settled in. My girl was reading to her. It was waaaaay past her bedtime, but it was too sweet not to smile (and, of course take a picture.)  reading to the catNow my daughter loves sleeping with the cat. And why wouldn’t she? The cat keeps her company, and “protects” her. And my husband and I can binge watch our violent show as late as we want (we never make it more than two episodes.)

It has been several weeks since she started sleeping with the kitty and she has slept in our room maybe twice. I’m happy with that!

Unfortunately, my cat doesn’t always like the extra love and attention my darling girl wants to give her so sometimes she leaves.

The other night I checked on them and the cat was nowhere to be found. My girl said, “I’m giving Lady a timeout because she scratched me on purpose!” The poor cat was in the closet! When I found her, she was sleeping happily on a pile of toys. I had a talk with my little girl and I hopefully made it clear that we don’t lock anyone or anything in the closet…ever.

As far as sleeping in her own room, I think we have it down-for the most part…

Now if I can only get her to stop looking out her window into the backyard at night, I think we’ll be good. (I don’t even do that-its too creepy!)

Do your kids happily sleep in their rooms? Or do they try to join you? If so, what has worked for you?

October 16, 2015

My dog sleeps with my son every night. He is older though and is pretty good at staying in his room. The dog has tried to sleep in Milas room before but she gets angry and kicks her out. hahaha my daughter is so mean.

October 16, 2015 at 8:29 am

LOL! That’s how my daughter used to be with the cats. Too funny! I love dogs, I can’t wait until we get another one. One day…

October 16, 2015 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

Super cute idea. My girls share a room, so they have a built in “bestie” to keep them company, but sleeping with a pet is a great idea 🙂

October 16, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Ah! That must be nice for them!! How fun!!

October 16, 2015 at 2:52 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

The twins have always slept in their own room, but they have each other . My oldest still comes in quite a bit . I’m hoping to soon be able to let all three sleep together, and maybe that will help? We don’t have any pets, but the cat sounds like a great idea .

October 16, 2015 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply T Austin

Oh I remember those days all too well. When he was super little he slept with me at times. It just wasn’t worth the fight. Now at 4 he’s on his own! I’m glad the cat saved you! We had a doll made for my dad for his 50th birthday. Last time we went to visit my son carried it around everywhere and eventually took it home with him. It’s his “grandpa doll” that keeps him safe at night now 😉

October 17, 2015 at 7:45 am

His “grandpa doll”? That is too sweet!! I agree, sometimes it isn’t worth the fight which is why we’ve let her before. But yes, mine is 4 too. Time to stay in her room!

October 17, 2015 at 7:51 am
  • Reply sue parke

Maybe I need a cat! LOL! Seriously, I really feel your pain on not being able to sleep with a toddler. We’ve tried too, on the nights that my daughter is keeping us up all night – literally impossible. Between the flailing and the tossing and turning it just never happens! But seriously, I need a cat lol

October 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Yeah-get a cat! Haha!! The tossing, the turning, the flailing, OMG!! I don’t ever remember doing that when I was a kid!

October 17, 2015 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Twitchetts.com

My kiddos only sleep in our bed in the mornings… If they are up after 5 but before we are willing to get up. I have spent a few hours sleeping on the floor in her room one arm in her bed etc. To me worth it. Love that your kitty came to save the day. At least long enough that she’s getting used to her bed again!

October 18, 2015 at 4:57 am

I don’t mind if they come I. Our bed in the mornings. In fact, I prefer it over the alternative of getting up at 5. My son usually falls asleep holding my hand while I’m in a rocker in his room, so sweet!!

October 18, 2015 at 9:07 am

Awwwww I’m a total cat lady so this is so adorable!!! I have two furbabies and one of them is literally my daughters bff and sleeps with her every night! Cutest thing ever!

October 19, 2015 at 6:53 am

That is so adorable!! I love checking in on them when they’re both asleep! Cutest thing ever!

October 19, 2015 at 6:54 am