Misconceptions I Had About the Gluten Free Diet

When my husband came up with the idea of the family going gluten free, I was excited. I knew I was going to have to give up some favorite foods, but I was hoping I’d experience some positive changes in myself.

Well, it has been officially two and a half weeks since he approached me with this idea, and I’ve learned a few things.

Here is a list of misconceptions I had about going gluten free.

A list of the misconceptions I had about the gluten-free diet. Which is why I ultimately decided it wasn't for me.

1. My husband would last longer than me.

Nope! He’s out. He didn’t last a full day without gluten. After about a week without (real) bread, he said he didn’t want to do it anymore. In his defense he claims, he did research on it and couldn’t find anything supporting us giving it up (since none of us have celiac disease). I tried to find articles that gave a list of pros going gf, but I honestly couldn’t find any. Most of the articles I found were all about gf as a fad diet. Another reason for him is cost. The gf substitutes aren’t cheap (especially the flour!!)

2. Carbs equal gluten

When we decided to try this diet, for some reason, I had it in my head that gluten and carbohydrates were interchangeable.

That means I thought I was not only giving up bread, baked goods, and pasta, but potatoes, rice, and corn. I found out quickly, that is not the case. I can still have my fill of french fries, fried rice, and corn chips. Which leads me to my next point.

3. With this new diet, I’ll lose weight!!

This is absolutely not true. It has not and will not help me lose weight.

Not only are there plenty of substitutions for everything under the sun, but almost all of my favorite junk foods are already gluten free.

Although, Nacho Cheese Doritos have gluten in them, so there is that.doritos and cheeseAs far as baked goods go, staying gluten free just adds an extra fun challenge for me on family dinner night when I make dessert. gluten free chocolate cake

(The recipe for this delicious chocolate dessert is here.)

4. Gluten free substitutions are better for you.

As I mentioned in my last point, there is a substitution for everything. Just because there is no gluten in it, does not mean it’s better for you. In fact, you could argue they’re actually worse. Some of the substitutions contain more sugar than their glutinous counterparts. More sugar was not part of the deal when I agreed to try this diet!

I baked my chocolate chip cookies with some gf flour I had.gluten free chocolate chip cookiesI hate to admit it, but those cookies have never tasted better! The texture was fantastic, they were chewy and delicious.

Although the dough was a bit weird. It was, for lack of a better word, stringy. Which is actually good because I ate less dough…but then I ended up eating more cookies…I’m pretty sure my gf cookies were just as fattening as the regular ones!

5. Gluten free substitutions are gross.

So far, the only gf replacement we haven’t liked, is the gorgeous loaf of bread I made. It was completely tasteless. Everything else we’ve made has been really great! An especially big hit with the family has been these pumpkin muffins!

So, my gluten free buddy is out and there aren’t any obvious reasons to stick with it, so why continue?

I am going to hang in there for a few more weeks because I am still curious. I’m interested to see if I feel any physical changes.

After the first week of being strictly gf, I had two pieces of the most insanely delicious pizza of my life, and the next day I felt gross. I felt as if I had a minor hangover without the headache. Was it the gluten? Or was it the junk food? I don’t know yet, but my curiosity is peaked enough to try it for a bit longer. Besides that, I’ve been learning a ton and it has been fascinating!

Bonus! Some weird, random foods that have gluten in them:

Soy sauce, salad dressing, deli meats, fat-free foods, canned soups, and some hard candies.

Have you ever thought about going gluten free? If you have any great gluten free recipes, please share!!

I think the fact that people thing gluten free diet is some healthy diet is a huge myth! My husband sees tons of people who have cut out gluten since they think they will lose weight and they end up gaining!

October 28, 2015 at 9:11 am

I can absolutely see that happening!! It’s seeming to me that it’s only a diet for those with an intolerance.

October 28, 2015 at 9:52 am
  • Reply sue parke

Those pumpkin muffins ARE good haha! And those brownies look darn good too. I’ve never tried a full blown gluten-free diet, but I do buy some gluten-free items like oatmeal and stuff. I have a really sensitive stomach and sometimes I wonder if it’s aggravated by gluten, but I’ve been tested for celiac twice and it came out negative, so I’ll just keep eating it haha.

October 28, 2015 at 10:19 am

The brownies are crazy good and only three ingredients! I’m wondering if I maybe have a sensitive stomach too, I’ve never been tested for allergies…

October 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm
  • Reply Kate

We have tried going gluten-free as a family… but it didn’t last long. I felt less bloated while following it, but it was a pain when we would go out or to family gatherings. I know there are a lot more gluten free options nowadays. My niece does have celiac disease and when she stayed with us this summer it was quite easy to accommodate her and her vegetarian sister… I was sure it was going to be impossible to find meals to please everyone, but it wasn’t.

October 28, 2015 at 10:31 am

It has been a lot easier to to find good meals than I expected. But as I said, my husband didn’t last. Also we never had the kids gf. So now that it’s just for me, it’s a bit harder to stick to it. I’ll go at least another two weeks.

October 28, 2015 at 2:34 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Yep, I know a few people who have gone gluten free to lose weight only to gain more! Personally, I don’t see any reason to give up an entire food group unless you need to or have a moral reasoning (e.g. Vegan). Everything in moderation is what I believe. That being said, I did have to give up dairy and soy when my son was allergic while breastfeeding and I did feel a lot better and lost weight. I do think the fact that soy is in practically every processed food might have something to do with it!

October 28, 2015 at 10:43 am

Yes!! I’m thinking by the time I’m done with this experiment, my conclusion will be pretty much what you said. No reason to give it up unless there is a need or moral reason. Absolutely, everything in moderation!! Soy is one of those that I’m not quite sure about. It doesn’t seem to be as great as everyone once thought!

October 29, 2015 at 8:26 pm
  • Reply Annie

I am gluten free because it helps with my depression symptoms… I don’t do any baked substitutes or anything though because I binge on stuff like that;) I’ll be curious to see how you feel after another week!

October 28, 2015 at 2:25 pm

That’s good to know that it helps with depression symptoms. I had no idea! I definitely need to stop baking because I have been eating most of it!

October 28, 2015 at 2:35 pm
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

Our pediatrician recommends EVERYONE going Gluten Free and Dairy Free (I know, he’s CRAZY). I was on the fence about doing it for the girls, since he and all his NP’s keep bringing it up, but I honestly am NOT going to do it right now. It was brought up to me that with behavioral issues, a lot of times people are desperate and not only are they making dietary changes, but also starting on new meds or different therapies. So, I want to wait until we figure out for SURE what the deal is and get her in therapy and see if therapies help first. I would hate for her to be excluded from family functions and parties and such b/c she has dietary restrictions when in all honesty, it wasn’t a diet change that fixed stuff. I know people with intolerances and allergies benefit from the diet, but putting a 3 year old on a Gluten Free Dairy Free diet without a “real” reason (her blood work for allergies came back and she has none). Good Luck with the next couple of week and I’ll be interested to hear how you feel in another week or 2 too.

October 28, 2015 at 5:45 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

Thank you for posting your update. I was wondering how it was going. I did know that just because it’s gluten free doesn’t mean it’s healthy or you will lose weight. I didn’t know all those other things had gluten in them. Crazy. I’m curious how the rest of your challenge goes.

October 29, 2015 at 7:36 am
  • Reply Rebekah @ Surviving Toddlerhood

We’re gluten free for several reasons but the biggest one is because autoimmune disease runs in the family and gluten is a big trigger for any autoimmune disease.
    There are so many good carb options for those on a gluten free diet; amaranth, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, sweet potatoes, winter squash, root veggies, etc. I love experimenting with all the options. 🙂

October 29, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Its true!! I’ve been having so much fun experimenting with the different carb options.

October 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ahhhhhh my daughter and I attempted gluten free… It was pretty interesting but idk…. Just like your hubby I missed real bread! Bread was really the only thing that sucked about eating gluten free. I never realized how much bread I actually ate until I went gluten free lol.

October 30, 2015 at 8:35 am

Hahaha! Yeah, bread, real bread! I think the biggest thing I miss is pizza right now. I really want some, but I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg for gf pizza and have it turn out to be gross…

October 30, 2015 at 9:02 am