A Last Minute Costume Change

Posted in Holidays by

For the past year, my daughter has been obsessed with Disney Princesses. But a month or so ago, her love and adoration transitioned to the Villains of whatever beloved Disney film we were watching. That said, it still caught me off guard when she insisted she wanted to be Snow White’s Evil Queen for Halloween.

I was bummed at first. Before the Evil Queen, she had been hard-set on being a jellyfish.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever done a search for “jellyfish costume” on Pinterest, but there aren’t many options. Which is why I was stoked for the brilliant jellyfish costume I had in mind! Finally, I had something potentially very cool to share on Pinterest!!

But alas, as the big day drew closer, my sweet girl decided she was going to be the Evil Queen. Then, finally, she decided once and for all, she was going to be Snow White’s evil Evil Queen when she turns into a witch. Final answer. She was stoked.

I kept making sure. I asked her numerous times that that is what she wanted to be. The neighbor girl kept telling her she should be someone nice for Halloween, but my girl stuck to her guns. She was going to be the Evil Queen as a witch.

So, my husband and I set out in search of a black cloak. I found the perfect one that just needed a trim here and there. Then I bought some cheesecloth for the scraggly, nasty hair. I didn’t want it to be stark white so I soaked it in coffee for a bit. The change was very subtle, but it was enough.

The night before her big costume party at preschool, I practiced my girl’s make-up on one side of her face. I did a high menacing black eyebrow, with dark grey circles around her eye. She loved it! I could tell she was excited!

The morning of the first big day of Halloween week, I set to work getting her ready.

I did her full make-up with eyebrows, dark circles, and even a few wrinkle lines. Then we added her outfit.

That is when it happened.

She looked at herself in the mirror. She asked her daddy to hold her. Then he took her to the mirror again. We kept saying “don’t you look cool?!” She refused to respond. She started to shut down.

We changed our tone. “Are you okay, hon?” “Would you like to change?” Her response was an extremely quiet “Mmhhmm.”

She decided she would rather be Anna for the day. Anna Costume(The photo on the left is of Z in the cloak right after we bought it. When she was dressed up as the witch with make-up, she refused to let us take pictures.)

No problem, we were only running five minutes late at this point.

I scrubbed off that make-up so fast! Threw on her Anna dress and put her hair in pigtails.

As a side note, this was the first time I saw a glimmer of regret that she had cut her hair. She was mad that I wasn’t able to put her hair in braids like Anna.

Either way, she still had a great time at preschool. And I learned a valuable lesson about giving my kid free reign about making her own choices (about certain things). Choices are great, but when we question it ourselves, perhaps we can steer them in a different direction.

On Halloween day, she is going to be the lovely, beautiful Snow White. Because Snow White is the only princess movie she hasn’t seen yet, so it is obviously her favorite.Snow White costumeWhat are your kiddos going to be for Halloween? Have they ever changed their minds very last minute? What did you do?

• Reply Deborah

Awe, she makes a way better princess than villain anyway! My younger daughter would have reacted the same way, I think. This year she is going to be Ariel.

October 30, 2015 at 6:56 am

She was such a cute little witch holding that Apple though!! (For about 15 seconds! LOL!) But She does look so sweet in that Snow White dress! Yay!! We love Ariel! My girl was Ariel last year-one of our faves!!

October 30, 2015 at 7:00 am
  • Reply Melissa

I don’t think my kids have ever switched. I guess I’m one of the few lucky ones.

October 30, 2015 at 9:24 am

That is lucky! I can imagine my daughter changing her mind all the time next year too.

October 30, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Oh my goodness! You handled this so well, but that had to have been one part patient-testing one part heartbreaking for you! You don’t want her to be scared of herself ? but you also want to get the F out of the house on time. Make R be a jellyfish next year (like that’ll work with a three year old) but I want to see how it turns out!!!

October 30, 2015 at 10:25 am
  • Reply Tricia

Aw, she looks adorable as both the witch AND the princess! I do love the jellyfish idea and I love Alana’s idea. It’s a lot easier to dress them up when they are little and don’t really care. haha

October 30, 2015 at 11:15 am
  • Reply Stefanie / The Monarch Mommy

This year my son is a ninja turtle for Halloween. He’s not really at an age yet where he cares too much about his costume, but I’m sure it’s coming!

October 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Ah! Those were the days!! I was pretty sure last year would be my last free year with my daughter. My son, however, is going to be Clark Kent for Halloween and he could care less.

October 30, 2015 at 12:27 pm
  • Reply katie @ mom to mom nutrition

I can always remember my mom telling me that she would never work on my Halloween costume until the day before the holiday because I always changed my mind! Glad your daughter was happy in the end 🙂

October 31, 2015 at 4:03 am

Hahaha!! I think your mom was on to something!! She was, she had a great time! 😀

October 31, 2015 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply Jhanis

I can so relate! My daughter wanted to be a fairy, then Merida, then Sakura, until she finally decided to wear a sleeping beauty costume that her aunt sent a few months ago! Whew!

November 1, 2015 at 12:33 am

Hahaha! Uh oh! At least you had the final costume and you didn’t have to scramble to get it. Hope she had fun!!

November 1, 2015 at 8:22 am
  • Reply Rachel

Oh my. She was adorable in both her cloak and princess dress! We just started with choices & it is SO HARD, mainly on my patience. Loved the Snow White dress, and your line about how it’s her favorite because it’s the only one she hasn’t seen yet.

November 1, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thank you so much! I really wish I had a picture of her with the make up and the hair! Oh, well. Yes, the choices are so hard!! She has changed her costume choice so many times this year, I should have known she would change last minute too!

November 1, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Awwwwww how cute :):) my daughter had two costumes she was sent from a sponsor. We planned on her being the owl… So I went to Walmart and bought all the warm stuff to wear with it (gloves, leggings etc) since it’s freezing here in NY, and of course she decides she wants to be the cheetah lol…. The Cheetah was definitely cute, it just sorta looked like an everyday outfit though lol. The owl was way more Halloween like. Ughhh.. Toddlers!

November 2, 2015 at 6:41 am
  • Reply Jenny

I was trying to get Z to be a skeleton… nope she was a fairy. I was not a princess loving girl when I was young so it’s a bit of a different mindset for me. One thing I will say though, is that it makes Halloween costumes so much easier for me. No sewing, no gluing… just a quick trip to Toys R Us for a new dress. Whew. 🙂 It’s really the candy that matters anyways, right?! Parent taxes for the win!!!

November 3, 2015 at 6:47 am

LOL!! So easy! Haha! I altered Z’s first costume a bit, but it wasn’t too hard so the switch wasn’t too big of a deal. And yes, the candy is where it’s at!!

November 3, 2015 at 11:03 am