Finding Gratitude in Your Every Day

Sometimes we get caught in a rut of a mundane, monotonous life. As a stay at home mom, I’ve found that I myself get sucked into this type of daily routine.

I have expectations for each day. We wake up, eat breakfast, play, lunch, nap, etc. If things don’t go the way I expect, I get annoyed. I’m irritated because I don’t get to things I wanted to get to, which ultimately leads to no mama time for the entire day. That’s when I get even more annoyed.

A day described above happened recently. My son fought against his nap for over an hour. Then finally, he gave in to his heavy eyelids. At last, I got the time to myself that I desperately wanted. As I settled in to “get things done” aka blogging and social media, I heard them.

Little feet coming up the stairs as quickly as they were able.

My youngest was awake from his nap. Not even 30 minutes to myself!

I met him at the top of the stairs, cleared off my bed, and laid down with him. Sometimes I can get him back to sleep, then I can sneak out to get stuff done. Not on this day!

He hugged me tightly. Then, with a huge grin, he grabbed my face with both hands and gave me a giant kiss on the mouth. After that, he hugged me again with a look of contentment on his face that I suddenly felt the need to see daily.

In that moment, all annoyance and irritation melted away. I felt as contented as he looked. I felt happy and thankful. I stayed there with him in the moment enjoying his presence.

I get to be this kid’s mom. He adores me (for now) as much as I adore him.

I want to be reminded of moments like this every single day. I want to settle in with my kids, enjoy them and acknowledge my appreciation for our daily life because I get to be with them.

I want them to feel the gratitude I have for them. They are too young to understand it if I told them. So instead, I have been showing them how much I love and appreciate them every single day just by spending quality time with them. It’s amazing how our daily life has been so positively impacted already!

The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become.

-Robert Holden

Now it’s your turn! Join us in our link up and share a post you’ve written about Gratitude!

Gratitude

Welcome to our link up! We’re so happy you’ve joined us! Meet your hosts:

Tiffany from Good Enuf Mommy

Tiffany at Good Enuf Mommy

Alana From Parenting from the Heart

Alana at Parenting from the Heart

Tarynn from Mama By Fire

Tarynn at Mama By Fire

This month’s Theme:

Gratitude

We have so much to be thankful for. With Thanksgiving just around the corner we thought it was the perfect opportunity to reflect on life’s little blessings. If you have a blog post that fits with our November theme, link it up with us throughout the month of November! We’ll be choosing a weekly featured post to add to our group Pinterest board! Don’t forget to read the rules carefully! More interaction = more fun!

Rules:

– make sure you follow your hosts on social media (bonus if you give this link up a shout out!)

– please leave a specific blog post link, not just your home page

– you must comment on the one post before your own and a minimum of two other posts of your choice. Remember that genuine interaction and positive comments benefit us all!

-make sure to check back throughout the week for new posts!

Don’t forget to follow your hosts, then add your link below!

The Good Enuf Mommy: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Parenting from the Heart: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Mama By Fire: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Loading InLinkz ...

• Reply Kimberly Cox

I love seeing everyone’s Gratitude posts. I totally get that whole being annoyed with the plans going wrong. I have a sign that hangs over my desk that reads “Life is all about how you handle plan B” and in this house we often joke that it gets to triple zzz at times. Being in the moment is hard sometimes when you have a lot that needs to get done, but, when you find the moments to steal and truly BE in the moment, it is an amazing feeling. Thanks so much for sharing your heart <3

November 3, 2015 at 5:03 am

Yes!!! It’s how you handle Plan B!! I need to remember that. Plans always change and to be happy, we need to know how to roll with the punches! Thanks so much for reading!

November 3, 2015 at 11:01 am
  • Reply Jenny

It can be so hard to remember the calm moments in the thick of the day. It definitely helps to write about it and cement it in one’s mind. Love this post and the series that you guys are undertaking!

November 3, 2015 at 6:43 am

So true! Then one of the kiddos do something that bring me back and remind me what is most important. Thank you and thank you for reading!

November 3, 2015 at 11:02 am
  • Reply Jill @ Maggie May's

It really is frustrating when you don’t get the “me” time you were counting on…but it sounds like your son made it up to you in a big way!!! Love it!

November 3, 2015 at 9:13 am

Yes! He certainly did! He’s really good at that!

November 4, 2015 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply Katie Chiavarone

I love that you guys are doing this so much! Just thinking of the positive can make such a difference in your attitude!

November 3, 2015 at 11:28 am
  • Reply Tiffany

Oh Tarynn what a beautiful post! This is exactly how I’m feeling lately! Slight irritated and not really present. Sometimes it just takes those little moments to bring you back down to earth. That is my goal for this week – to be more present. You are so right – we “get” to be our kids’ mom!

November 3, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Thank you so much! It’s so true, those little moments are what we need! They are what make life worth it!

November 3, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Corter

It is truly moments like that that make us all the more grateful for what we have. Beautiful post!

November 3, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Thank you! Absolutely, they make everything so worth it!!

November 3, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply cindy calzone

I so loved this post on gratitude! Made me feel warm all over! <3

November 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Haha! Thank you!

November 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply Ai

Aww, they always have a way of melting us, don’t they? I’ve had many moments, like the one you described above. Great idea for the link-up. I’ve had a gratitude post brewing in my head … now to actually find time to write it. Haha!

November 3, 2015 at 11:10 pm

They do! And it doesn’t seem to take much! If you find the time, please share!!

November 4, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I love and can relate to every word of this. I love the quote at the end and had to chuckle at “He adores me (for now) as much as I adore him.”

November 4, 2015 at 6:23 am

Awwww love this!!! I’m all about gratitude all year long since I’m all about the law of attraction . I really wish people would practice gratitude all year long. It makes me happy seeing what others are happy about 😉

November 4, 2015 at 7:04 am

Gratitude is so important! I agree, it should be practiced all year long. We’ve been really working on our kids for the last few months because my daughter is at that age where she is starting to really understand it.

November 4, 2015 at 7:12 am
  • Reply Kate

I loved reading your post! I have been trying to find the balance and make time to SHOW my kids how grateful I am to be their mom, especially on the most trying days. I want them to grow up to be generous and grateful adults, they are always watching, so setting a good example while they are young is so important. I love that everyone is grateful during this time of year, but I too would like to see it carried over into the other 11 months.

November 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Thank you! I agree! It should be something we work on all year long, not just during the Holidays. My daughter is just now starting to grasp the concept of being thankful and what it truly means. Every time she says “thank you” I just melt. Thank you so much for reading!

November 4, 2015 at 1:21 pm
  • Reply Mrs. AOK

Soooo I’m a big ol’ sap bucket and this made me emotional. Perhaps, it’s because I know this feeling… and also little hugs and kisses from the babes are the best. 🙂 They’ve been known to takeaway all the gray in a day.
    Thank you for this linkup! I’m loving finding new grateful bloggers. 🙂
    I have a weekly linkup/post Thank You Notes 🙂 I believe it’s the best policy to see what’s good in life, big or small. I hope you’ll join me.
    XOXO

November 7, 2015 at 6:53 pm

It’s so true, the little hugs and kisses can make everything better! It has been a really fun link up! So nice to read so many positive, thankful posts! Your link up sounds great!! I will definitely check it out-thanks!!

November 7, 2015 at 6:55 pm
  • Reply danielle

I loved this. I can so relate it’s like you were in my head yesterday.

November 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm