Clean Your House in 30 Minutes or Less

As a parent, sometimes alone time is difficult to come by. The other day, my sweet husband offered to take the kiddos to the zoo and gave me the option to stay home.

Um. Yes, please!!

His sister joined too, so technically there wasn’t really room for me in the car. Ahem….

While I was longing for time to myself to eat, sleep, periscope, blog, etc, I had a disaster of a house staring back at me.

Enter the guilt. If I was completely selfish with my time alone, the house would remain a disgrace and eventually I would feel like a failure. And then the question would bite me in the ass, “So what did you do all day?”

My solution turned out to be rather simple. I knew I was going to have a good 3 hours to myself, so why not “give up” some time in the beginning to clean?

I set a time for myself and decided once it was 10:45, I would stop cleaning and start doing something for me. Like take a bath. Or watch periscope. Or eat chocolate out in the open. Or?…

I set a timer for 20 minutes to get as much done as possible upstairs. I knew it would take me the longest because it has the kitchen and the dining room. I don’t know about anybody else, but my toddler trashes his eating area.

Here are some tips to help you clean your house in 30 minutes or less! And they're so easy!

I always like to start out with surface cleaning and then work my way to any sort of deep cleaning-if I have time. That way, at least it looks good at first glance. Ha!

I put all of the toys away and random knick-knacks that somehow found their way out of place. Then I vacuumed and swept. Next, I put the dishes in the dishwasher away, then loaded it. I had a bit of time left, so I wiped the counters down with a white vinegar/water mix.

Be sure to stop when the timer is up! I know it will be hard to move on, but you deserve the alone time! A sane mama is a happy mama!

I gave myself 6 minutes for the downstairs. That includes the playroom, and both of the kids’ rooms. All I had to do was throw all of the toys in their designated bins. By “designated” I mean whichever bin is closest.

The part that took me the longest is my daughter’s walk-in closet. That was because the floor was so jam-packed with toys I didn’t have anywhere to put my feet.

Yes, I finished in time. And yes, I was a bit sweaty by the end of the 6 minutes.

After all is said and done, I made myself stop cleaning at my designated time, and my house looked lovely!

When you’re using a timer to clean, be sure to prioritize. For example, I did not get to the bathrooms. And while bathrooms can always use a good cleaning, I wasn’t too worried about it. In both of my showers I have a dish wand filled with equal parts of white vinegar and dish soap. (An idea I found on Pinterest, of course.)
I am always using that sucker to scrub down my shower/tub/sink in the bathrooms. It’s super convenient (scrub while you shower, anyone?), and I feel like I never have to stress about the bathroom because next time I shower, I can clean it really fast. Then I can once again, focus on me.

I have already forgotten what I did for myself exactly, but I know there was coffee, chocolate, and a bath involved. Not necessarily in that order.

Do you have any tips or tricks on how you clean your house quickly? If you had one hour to yourself right now, what would you do? Clean? Or do something for yourself? Or split the time in half?…

November 16, 2015

• Reply Katie

Love it! I don’t think there is any part of my house I could clean in 6 minutes…its way too messy for that! Lol. Eating chocolate alone though? That I could do 😉

November 16, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Yes!!! It’s hard to fully enjoy chocolate when you have big eyes staring up at you!

November 17, 2015 at 11:26 am
  • Reply Vaishali

How to clean my house in 5 mins- Use baby wet wipes to clean kitchen slab, tiles, doors, everything!! Argh, how much I want my house to look spick and span..

November 17, 2015 at 5:47 am

Yes!! That is brilliant!! Thank you for sharing!!

November 17, 2015 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

Great post!!! I need your kinda motivation for sure, my house is almost ALWAYS a disaster lol.

November 20, 2015 at 7:28 am
  • Reply Tiffany

Tarynn I love you! I can completely picture you in my head doing all you described as I read this post! This is my kinda thinking! Good on you – and NEVER feel guilty about time to yourself! You deserve it mama!

November 20, 2015 at 7:50 am

OMG. That scrubby thing for the shower is BRILLIANT!!!! I am totally buying one this weekend to do that!

November 20, 2015 at 8:18 am

I love it! Its one of the very first things I found on Pinterest. Haha!

November 20, 2015 at 7:48 pm
  • Reply Tricia

Great post! I often use timers during nap time. I try to take a 20 minute nap, workout for 20 minutes and then blog or whatever for the rest of the time. It helps me be more productive!

November 20, 2015 at 11:17 am

I should start doing that during naptime too. I always tend to get sucked into one thing and then nothing else gets done!

November 20, 2015 at 11:54 am
  • Reply Sarah M

We set a 30 minute timer after breakfast and my oldest two kids and I race to see who can clean the most the fastest! Works like a charm 😉

November 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

I am so looking forward to the day my kiddos can be more involved in cleaning! I love the idea of racing to get things done!

November 20, 2015 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Esther

Love this post… I’ve been thinking of using a timer for cleaning for a while now but haven’t put it into practice yet. I love that you started your free time with focusing on the cleaning FIRST to get it out of the way…I sometimes put it off and say I will do it at the end, and then it doesn’t happen and that guilt you are talking about creeps in! Plus it is in the back of my mind the entire time I’m trying to enjoy my free time!! 2 great tips I am going to try out this week. Thanks!

November 20, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Thank you so much! If I don’t get the cleaning done first, it never happens for sure! And exactly as you said, cleaning is in the back of my mind so I don’t fully enjoy my time. Thank you for reading!

November 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply Chanity

I love the scrubber in the shower idea! I totally need to get me one of those. Bathrooms (showers & tubs specifically) are my least favorite chore. I could see scrubbing while you shower, lol!

November 20, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yes! Scrubbing showers and tubs are the worst!! I usually do a small section at the beginning of each shower and then I don’t worry about it.

November 20, 2015 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply Jules Ruud

We separate the chores over the course of the week (every day except Sunday) so each day I only have to work on one part of the house. The kitchen is a daily thing, but I struggle to keep up with it. We sweep on Saturdays and use the Swiffer on Tuesdays and Thursdays because we have all wood floors. It’s not a fool-proof system because life happens, but it helps.

November 20, 2015 at 7:46 pm

That is really smart! I kinda sorta tried to write out a schedule like that for myself once. I should try to do it again. The kitchen is tough!! I do so many things first before I get to the dreaded dishes!

November 20, 2015 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Erin

Great tips!!!! My neighbor had told me about the timer idea!!!! It does help!!! Usually I dedicate 15-20 minutes to a room. If I can give that room that amount of time, it eventually won’t need that much time. The trick is staying on top of it lol

November 21, 2015 at 6:10 am

Haha-YES!! Staying on top of it is my downfall! LOL!

November 21, 2015 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply Kate

Love this! I use a timer for everything! And I’m totally doing the scrub brush in the tub idea!!
    I usually clean the bathroom while the kiddos are taking a bath…which means my tub is severely in need of a good scrub.

November 21, 2015 at 9:59 am
  • Reply Twitchetts.com

I am pretty good at speed cleaning. I tend to do it in circles. I take one lap around for any laundry. Start one load and throw the rest on the laundry room floor. Then a lap for dishes, mostly glasses, throw them all in the sink. Then go on from there. When you are alone you can always get so much more done! It always amazes me!

November 21, 2015 at 6:53 pm

So smart! Yes, it’s true! I get so much more done by myself it’s insane!!

November 21, 2015 at 6:54 pm
  • Reply Andria

Ha! I totally clean my shower while Im in it too. I think I am going to have to try the wand though, what a great idea!

November 23, 2015 at 8:56 am